Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Its 2009, buddy. :)

Lorien, check the Stag Fire Fighter thread..you were the second post. :)

Jon, the handle has some different texturing going on that gives a different look at certain angles, but it is VERY comfortable. Well balanced, very light and fast in hand.

Thanks for keeping us entertained, Coop, with this great gallery of knives! This will be an ongoing treat throughout the year! :thumbup:

- Joe

Thanks, guys. I know you will enjoy this, too. It is not as tedious for me to create a complete new thread for every knife I shoot that ultimately deserves to be seen. And so this method will be convenient for me also.

Hi Suzanne. Funny you should ask.... ;) :thumbup:

All the long-time forum members know I have a singular penchant for a maker whose work is rare, and he has all but fallen off the planet. Still, I find his work to be completely recognizable and timeless.

Of course I am referring to Hill Pearce, who stopped making knives around 1990. He shared tables with the late Jim Schmidt, and studied forging under Sid Birt. His work creating black-powder rifles in the late seventies made his transition into knifemaking relatively easy.

I have a network of friends and dealers who are on the lookout for HP pieces as they surface. Rare that they do. A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from dealer/maker Dan Piergallini again. He had a gem....

orig.jpg

In my conversations with Hill (He's still doing well, retired in Alabama), he once mentioned an ivory folder that was one of his faves. I haven't connected with him yet to verify, but I will.

It has all the typical Hill Pearce amenities: Chisel clip, fluted long bolster, his trademark filework, superfine cuts surrounding the fluting and on the lock tab. And it has a few surprises: Look at the little carving on the head of the bolster and the front of the lockback, as well as that cross.

The elephant ivory is mint and grainy, and the action is like new.

This makes it #12 in my collection. :D

Coop
Very cool, Coop. From looking at Dan's knives, I gather that he is a Hill Pearce fan too. I can see a lot of Pearce influence in his big knives. He also tends to have some very interesting knives in his display case at shows. I bought an Al Pendray wootz/stag integral hunter from Dan a couple of years back. Next time that you speak to Dan, please tell him that it is the 21st Century and he needs to get a website. I plan to tell him that once again this weekend in Lakeland.:D

Hi Joe,

Yup you got that right about Dan Piergallini. He is one of the few who really knows and appreciates his style.

Thanks, folks!

Ted: I am pleased you like my backgrounds. I am guilty of going too far as well. But, I do try to experiment often and push the limits of variety. It's a balancing act, always.

Coop

I am flattered that the mods have seen fit to make this post a 'sticky'. I asked not.... :)

Keep your eyes open for the new posts. Stickies have a way of blending in the background.

Thanks to the mods for prioritizing this. I have much to offer. :thumbup: In fact, I'll toss in a few yet unseen ones later....

Jim and Kevin,

Randy and I are SELFISH! :)

This thread benefits us ALL.

Jim, you are one of (the) best. Amazing work. Hope to meet you personally sometime, somewhere.

And by the way, Kevin you are a GREAT asset to the forum as well.

I feel the REAL PASSION coming back.....(for me) ;)

I can't stop now, Keith, Roger, Steve,

CRAP! ALL OF YOU are what makes custom knives, CUSTOM KNIVES!

THANK YOU ALL for allowing me to be a part of this ...

It should come as no surprise to those who surf the sites, that I do work for dealers. In fact, this is my bread and butter work.

Pieces come my way with such regularity and are SO very grandiose that it would be a shame NOT to show them off.

Here's some of the recent pieces.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

That's enough. For now. My head may explode with desire.... ;)

Cool stuff as always. Coop, you're so fortunate to be able to handle all these amazing knives.

I have a question .... what's the inlay on the Kressler folder? I can imagine a few things but I'm really not sure what it is.

Keep up the good work.

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

I am not 100% sure. I am thinking I heard a reference to fossil tooth ivory. Compelling isn't it?

A couple of points of note:
That Bose folder is BIG. It's probably around 9" OAL.

Hoel/Lindsay: Pay SPECIAL attention when Steve Lindsay's work is shown. As good as it gets in every form.

The Loveless Jr. Bear in green canvas micarta is a signature look. I love it. My wife hates it. ;)

Salvator Puddu's work is mindboggling.

Rapp/Robyn: Beautiful flowing scrolls contrasting with the squareness of the handle elements.

Richter/Banaitis: Students of J.D. Smith's art school

Bill Ruple: Look at how he starts and ends the filework with a flourish.

Study the masters. :thumbup:

Coop

Beautiful photos Coop.
The Ruple seems to be pure perfection.
Marcel, I would guess the inlay on the Kressler folder is either mammoth tooth or tiger iron.

Darby, thanks for the kind words.

I am not 100% sure. I am thinking I heard a reference to fossil tooth ivory. Compelling isn't it?

Marcel, I would guess the inlay on the Kressler folder is either mammoth tooth or tiger iron.

Guys, I was thinking mammoth tooth too, but the yellow made me doubt that. Either way it looks great.

Marcel

Marcel, it is presentation grade fossil mammoth tooth...

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Hi daisy. Thanks for your kind words! :)

I came upon a folder of selections that I've never posted and decided to show them here. These are extraordinary in every way, with a common theme.

Roger Bergh is well-known for his sculpting
orig.jpg

Fred Carter's rendition of his reknowned dagger in spiral fluting
orig.jpg

Josef Rusnak also is known for his carving. Here are a combination of materials giving an executive a desktop knife treat.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Others to follow....

From Europe and the Netherlands are the elegant knives from this small shop. Rare to be seen outside of the European 'Continent'.

Almost always including the talents of their engraver: Alain Lovenberg, who elevates a standard-looking interframe to glorious artistic levels.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

As you can see, there are not only fancy scrolls but the textures and depth of the engraving is exemplary.

Coop

Hill Knives - Albert & Frans van den Huevel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Europe and the Netherlands are the elegant knives from this small shop. Rare to be seen outside of the European 'Continent'.

Almost always including the talents of their engraver: Alain Lovenberg, who elevates a standard-looking interframe to glorious artistic levels.

Albert and Frans are father and son. I visited their shop a couple of months ago and they have some real great knives with amazing engravings. Besides Lovenberg they work a lot with E. Vos. Although maybe not so well known in the US, they have worked for Asprey and a couple of famous gunmakers/factories to produce knives to accompany their expensive guns.

One final and fun detail. They have their shop in Rotterdam about 100 meters from where I was born:thumbup::cool: Here is their website http://www.hillknives.com/

Marcel

PS If I'm not mistaken these knives reside in the glorious collection of Don Guild.

This is a start of a long-term project by John, to draw upon the finest artists and himself in collaboration, to build a series of Legacy knives.

orig.jpg

From the collection of Paul Kessler.

Coop

Thanks for the continuing visual treat. The Legacy series is brilliantly conceived and off to a most excellent start.

Roger

Back