Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Well! I am very privileged! @theknifemag ROCKS it! For years and years I've been pleased and happy when my clients make it into print, with an article or a display.

This time they decided it is about me and my processes instead of just the knives.

A shout-out thanks to Mark Zalesky, Tim Vaniman, and all the other team players for KNIFE magazine.

Between the photos and the article back and forth this has been a work-in-process for about six months. I hope you get a subscription or a copy to read about it. I offer a lot of INSIGHTS, and the WRITER Tim impressed me with his skills at portraying what I try to deliver.

With more than a little help for their craftsmanship, these makers are also included:

@tksteingass
@wolfgangloerchner
@mattrobertsknives
@bartlett_custom

orig.jpg

^^^ folder geek folder geek Thank you!

@JoshSmithKnives is on (the cutting) board with cutlery designed for the KITCHEN! This set is ESPECIALLY appropriate for the Thanksgiving carving chores! ⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Ironwood and damascus are as time-honored as turkey, squash, and mashed potatoes! I’ll have a LARGE helping, Josh!!⁣

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Git 'r DONE! @jimperkinsknifeleather knows what it takes to create a strong utility. This one features buffalo horn scales and nickel silver bolsters and a spine with file work to keep it interesting.

It is going to an officer in the Wichita Motorcycle Force, so you know it's capable and has AUTHORITY!

orig.jpg

Last edited:
@Maverik_Knives When a NEW maker steps up and shows me *this* level of work, I pay attention. You should too. This stock is RISING!

Maverik will do well. Follow him.

Here are his specs:
Knife: Fixed Fighter
BL/OAL: blade 5”/ OAL 9.75”
Material: w2
Forged_by: forged by maker
Bolster: case hardened and blackened steel
Handle: Amboyna burl

orig.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I signed up here just to say, as someone getting started, that it's kind of terrifying to see the level of skills displayed here. I know enough to know that I have no idea at all how much of what I just saw in the last 68 pages got done.

Thanks for this thread.

B borzwazie ^^ Thank you! Yes, it's nearly overwhelming if you are getting started, yet EVERY ONE of the makers shown did just like you. Good luck.

*JUST* when you thought it was safe….! @Wardog2079 stands in a victorious pose with THE most compelling ‘Rhino’ chopper I have ever encountered. Retreat, and ask what happened later!

This mammoth ivory integral is also includes that gator-inlaid sheath by Aaron Sybrant.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
HELLO *gorgeous*! @JeremyKrammes_Knives brings on the sexy curves and materials once again. THIS Supermodel has it all, including top-level mechanics.

This is a first with inlays, and first with a recessed liner lock. He’s pushing his boundaries!

orig.jpg

Last edited:
If you are going to make a statement, make it LOUD! @J.C.Provost used exterior Spruce cone with RED epoxy on this *smart* utility. Good ergonomics, tapered tang, clean grinds and polishes, sturdy sheath, all state: “Quality!”

orig.jpg

Last edited:
*Tasteful*. In a single word, that’s an apt description. @PaulLuskKnives brings that and more to his *otherworldly* folder. Why would I say that? Read his description:

Model: Gentleman’s Liner Lock
BL/OAL: 2.5”/7.5”
Material: AEB-L
Bolster: titanium
Handle: ivory with meteorite
Frame: titanium
Knife Comments: Ivory embedded with meteorite found at the bottom of the North Sea.

What a beauty!

orig.jpg

Last edited:
This ‘Dragonfly Cutter’ comes from the respected hands of @DavidMirabileKnives. That’s 15” of dual sharpened forged blade, and a two-handed wrapped grip almost as long. Those of you who make this style, are thinking “Yeah Buddy!”

This demands skill in operation as well, and I suggest its owner (Joe Paranee!) has the right stuff.

#PaulLongSheaths is from Texas, and ALWAYS elevates a maker’s work.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Yup! Me too. @SteelPigForge Are Garrett and Mike Elting, along with mom/wife Jill. Combined, they created this eye-grabbing utility with ‘gotcha’ damascus and a sexy burl handle. Those b&w liners add a calming level of civility to this rowdy knife. The handle shape is sultry! #familygoals

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Study. This. CLOSELY. Robert Burns @WildernessIronWorks painstakingly created every aspect of this bowie and sheath. The old-world ’#Shibuichi’ guard and bolster were carved and then cast in bronze. Great steel, great wood, great sheath, GREAT maker!

Read more:
Knife: Fixed Bowie
Model: Ledus Bowie
BL/OAL: 12 inches/ 17 1/2 inches
Material: 1084/15m20 damascus
Forged_by: Mosaic Turkish Twist by Maker
Bolster: Shibuichi
Handle: Silver and Maple Burl
Frame: Shibuichi
Sheath: Robert Burns

orig.jpg

Last edited:
BIG things come in *small* packages! Sal @ManaroKnives adds the sweetest of mammoth tooth scales to this diminutive folder, and it’s a GIANT in desirability!.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣His backspine checkering is renowned and legendary. No one better!⁣

orig.jpg

Last edited:
TEN HUT! You’d best be READY when this fighter by @TKSteingass gets unsheathed. The twisted wire handle will grip and stand up to any dilemma, and that lonnnnng drop point blade barks “penetrate and slash.” Yikes.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Masterful!⁣

orig.jpg

Last edited:
A ‘Kozuka Vest Bowie’ by @MGregoryKnives has SO much going for it!⁣
⁣⁣
⁣From Matt: The 4” blade is made of a CPM-10v core, clad in CPM154. The fitted guard, handle and scabbard (or saya) are made of Richlite, a unique paper-based composite akin to paper micarta. If you look carefully, you can make out the interesting ‘watered’ finish it has when its shaped and finished at an angle to its initial lamination. ⁣
⁣Stainless steel and red G10 spacers add a bit of dynamic and color to the otherwise monochromatic package. The handle and spacers are indexed and assembled with hidden pins, and a stainless steel Corby bolt anchors it all together.⁣

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Ask ANYONE who is the *patriarch* of USA traditional folders and the answer will always return: “Tony Bose”. @bose.tony His highly sought after and uber-precise folders are a work of function and art.

That lower stag knife is MANY years old with nicely worn scales. The upper one is a new replica of that time-honored pattern. Sigh.

These sent to me from a collector for a pending #BladeMagazine book on the ‘masters’. He is a full chapter. As he should be. (Thanks Blade for doing this. We can’t WAIT!)

orig.jpg

Last edited:
@darriel_caston is one of the most talented makers I have ever met. He is a knife designer *extraordinaire* and has the capability of producing these incredible small folders.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣This ‘MaximX’ is one of his latest and I will edit more as I learn the specs.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Regardless you can simply admire it without the numbers; it's just that good!⁣

orig.jpg

Last edited:
@GaryMulkey forged the most interesting patterns in his steel as well as adding fluting flourishes to a traditional oval guard. That captivating wood is Oak burl, and the blued butt-cap gives it extra interest.

Read his specs:
Knife: Fixed Bowie
Model: Tree of Liberty
BL/OAL: 11.75”/17”
Forged_by: self
Bolster: 416
Handle: oak burl
Knife Comments: damascus done in canister with 416 bar, 1084 powder & 1084 powder plus 2% Nickel

74397936_442246453384878_1344846600707175853_n.jpg

One of THE MOST influential makers in our world: @BillRuple has taught hundreds of makers techniques and tips. He’s the reigning CHAMP of the 'Texas Knifemakers Cartel' and ^^^ this is why.

It’s a gnarly stag horseman’s Saddlehorn with some of his extra-sweet file work. Five blades packed in there impeccably.

Give it a LIKE!

79325826_1539355436204874_6811908130099817519_n.jpg

Back