Sharpen a straight razor on edge pro??

I sharpen all of mine on stones. Ideally you want 100% blade contact on the stone. I know people may jump in and say that partial blade contact will work and it will , just a whole lot trickier.

I don't have experience with the Edge Pro. But if it has good stones up to 7-800 grit (not diamond) and you have a decent strop.
It should work. DM

No. You’ll ruin the razor with an edge pro.

Do a lot of research on repairing, bevel setting, honing, and stropping straights.
Then decide if you want to get the right equipment and practice technique, or send it out.

No. You’ll ruin the razor with an edge pro.

Do a lot of research on repairing, bevel setting, honing, and stropping straights.
Then decide if you want to get the right equipment and practice technique, or send it out.
What would be the right stuff to get. Or where do I send it? Preferably southern California...I messed mine up real bad and have no idea where to start. And miss shaving with it

It's definitely do-able and you will get a great result - if you are careful.

I mostly sharpen my straight razors on my Chosera bench stones, and that is still my preferred method, but I also have a set of Chosera Edge pro size stones that I have used many times to sharpen some of my straights with on my own designed "LeadingEdge" 3D printed sharpening system. It works on the same basic principles as an Edge Pro, so can be compared directly.

You have to be VERY exact with your angles and VERY careful when doing this. Use a magnetic base to hold the razor in place on your Edge Pro and make sure the stone just barely clears the spine of the razor in all areas (both sides of the razor) Basically just enough that you can see a sliver of light pass between the stone and the spine. Measure that angle with an angle cube and when changing stones, make sure to measure and adjust the angle again on the same side and same spot of the razor. Also make sure that the edge just barely clears the table of the Edge Pro, not really overhang much just barely clear.

When you sharpen your razor, just remember that you are sharpening directly onto the edge of the razor (unlike bench stones where your razor spine and edge touches the stone), so use VERY light pressure. You will remove a lot of metal fast if you are not careful. It doesn't take much time at all so be careful.

You can also strop the razor with the Edge Pro and pasted leather too, again - carefully.

With some practise you will get excellent results and a great, smooth shaving razor.

I'm a newbie to this forum, but a member of some shaving fora and have honed razors for many years. In my opinion, you may be able to sharpen a razor on an edge pro, but why would you? Taking care of a knife properly is part of the bargain in curating superb steel. Taking care of a straight razor properly deserves the same care and consideration. The razors spine should be in constant contact with the stone to preserve the geometry of the edge. I've spent a considerable amount of time fixing poorly honed razors and I consider owning them a transient thing. They will at some point go to my son, or to another enthusiast and enjoyed many more decades. Treat your razors as well as you treat your knives.

What would be the right stuff to get. Or where do I send it? Preferably southern California...I messed mine up real bad and have no idea where to start. And miss shaving with it
You might start at a forum like Sharp Razor Palace. There are lots of folks there who could remediate your razor, or point you to someone close by who can.

Use of any fixed angle guided is marginal at best. The stones are too narrow to get a consistent edge. You need to get to about 8K grit before the edge is comfortable. Strop after that. Barber's hones pop up on the evil bay. They run about 8K and can get near the comfort level is used properly.

Could you? Probably.
Should you? No

To hone a razor the spine and edge lay on the stone, the stone needs to be perfectly flat and you stroke needs to be consistent.

The minimum that yields an acceptable shave is around 8000, best with 12000 or some natural stone.

I have been shaving with a straight for about 10 years, I prefer a JNAT edge on my razors, coticule would be second.

DO NOT give your razor to a knife guy-different beasts to hone

Back