Sharpener overload

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Rickyc0823, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Rickyc0823

Rickyc0823 Wanting to buy sell trade

Dec 22, 2017
    not sure if this is the proper forum. If not apologies in advance
    Buying a new sharpening system. Narrowed down to kme deluxe set(around 300$-ish) or WE pro pack 2. Is theWE twice as good as the kme?
    Help me justify the extra $ spent if it is indeed justifiable. Thx in advance

2. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I can't justify what you buy. I can tell you that I've owned and used a DMT Aligner, an Edge Pro (upgraded version, can't remember the name), a Ken Onion Worksharp, and a WE Pro Pack 1 (upgraded with 13 degree lift and scale). The WE is the one I've kept and continue to use.

I don't know if it's twice as good as the others. Probably not, in terms of materials used in the sharpener and time invested in assembling the kit. What the WE does for me that makes it worth the cost is that it works with my "weak spots" where the others don't. I have 70 year old hands that don't have a lot of feeling left in them and they aren't very steady. That eliminates the freehanding I used to do. It also makes the Edge Pro problematic because I have to hold the knife in place on the table to get a consistent bevel. Then I have to flip the knife over to work on the other side. I've never used a KME so I can't speak from experience about it.

The thing I really like about the WE is being able to clamp the knife in the same place time after time and work on both sides without ever having to move the knife. There's also not much mess (no water involved and very little dust from the sharpening) and I can leave it set up on my work table in the basement. It works very fast compared to some sharpeners I've tried and the angle scale that you use to set the arms is remarkably accurate according to my digital angle cube. So with my limitations and needs, the WE is definitely worth the cost to me if I want to keep on sharpening my knives and getting good results.

You, OTOH, will likely have different needs and limitations than I have. The system that "fills in the gaps" for you and makes you a better sharpener is the one that's worth the money for you.

Rickyc0823 and Deinos like this.
  3. Rickyc0823

Dec 22, 2017
    Thank you sir! I have the edgepro right now as well and your deficiencies sound just about the same as mine. I want a clamped system for sure( as far as freehanding I’ve never been worth a darn at it) I am leaning toward the WE PRO PACK 2 at the moment bc I’m afraid of having buyers remorse if I get the kme and next year I decide the kme isn’t the one I should have bought. Just like I did with the edge pro. Thx again

4. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2012
    I have an edge pro apex 4, I've noticed flipping the knife over to do the other bevel isn't as consistent as I'd like. It can produce uneven bevels. I say go WE, that's what I'll be buying next.

5. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2012
    Your other option is a small 1x30 belt sander. With the right progression of belts it will sharpen infinitely faster than guided systems, and produce the edges you desire.

A short learning curve is required so as not to burn the edges and how to follow the belly of the blade. But practice with a cheap knife or a kitchen knife will be all you need.

I have a harbor freight 1x30 and I use that thing constantly. It takes seconds, my edge pro not so much.

Oh and a leather belt for the 1x30 loaded on one side with green compound will make stropping awesome. Then you flip the belt over and use bare leather to finish.

Everythingcan be purchased for WELL under 300 for the 1x30.

Just giving you options. Good luck.

Rickyc0823 and Riz! like this.
  6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    This thread will likely get moved to Maintenance & Embellishment, but here's my 2 cents. Bite the bullet and get the WE.

I strongly recommend the newest models that include the cam lock vise - I would NOT be happy with a WE that lacked it. The newest version (with the "split jaw") flawlessly grabs FFG Spyderco's with continuous aggressive distill taper, something the fixed/screw jaw struggled with. And it takes 2 seconds to clamp a blade, facilitating (and promoting) optimal blade placement (ie "sweet spot"), so you get that perfect bevel. Record your settings, and next time you sharpen that knife, it takes just seconds to mount in precisely the perfect position. This leads to minimal steel removal, extending the blades life and encouraging sharpness at the same time.

I love my WE-130.

[​IMG]

I also highly recommend the Advanced Alignment Guide, the best $8 you'll ever spend.

[​IMG]

Rickyc0823 and dalefuller like this.
  7. dalefuller

Feb 2, 2005
    Everything OM said above I agree with. The new jaws are a vast improvement over the old style that I have. Also, make sure that you have 13 degree capability with the WE you get. I had to upgrade my older model to get that and it's a very useful upgrade. I'll be changing out the jaws next to get the ones that OM mentioned.

Officer's Match likes this.
  8. Rickyc0823

Dec 22, 2017
    Would the advanced angle guide come with the pro pack 2? More and more convinced that I need theWE

9. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I'm looking at getting a WE too. How does the WE mount to the base? Is it a few through holes or threaded holes? I can make my own base for free if it isn't some odd way of mounting.

10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    The threads are on the sharpener itself. Go to about 1:30 in this vid:

Mattysc42 likes this.
  11. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    That video was exactly what I needed thank you. The base only needs two through holes which is easy.

Mattysc42 and Officer's Match like this.
  12. firefighterguy

firefighterguy

Sep 30, 2014
    The wicked edge comes with a diy base guide that has a piece of paper you can use to drill the holes exactly. Pretty cool I think.

I recently bought a wicked edge. After months and months of researching I settled on the wicked edge. Ultimately I knew I would always wish I had spent the extra money on the wicked edge.

Also, there were a few other factors that ultimately swayed me that don’t get talked about very much.

1) knowledge base resource
    Clay Allison has his own YouTube page and puts out tons of videos on wicked edge stuff. As a beginner this was essential. Sure there’s tons of other videos but getting info straight from the source is invaluable. Second, is their knowledge base section of their website which is loaded with info and perhaps the most important thing you get with their sharpener is their forum. There are thousands of topics on there. Anything you can think of related to the wicked edge has been asked. Any questions you have and they get answered within a few hours. I found this to be invaluable to a new owner.

2) quality
    From the moment I opened the box I never felt like I got overcharged. It’s apparent to me why it costs more than others out there. When I look at some other big name sharpeners it looks like they buy half the parts at a hardware store. Not the case with wicked edge.

3) upgrades
    Clay and co have continually evolved their product. If you go and look at a wicked edge from 5 years ago it’s changed drastically. They listened to their users. They’re extremely innovative. The best part is their upgrades seem to always be retroactive. If they improve the arms or jaws you can buy them for your older system. Recently on the forum he said they’re experimenting with having arms that have an angle gauge built in. No one can touch them in terms of innovation. If you buy a wicked edge it’s an investment for the long term.

Lastly, it’s important to understand that one of the reasons the wicked edge costs more is that it requires double of everything. If you want a 50 grit stone you need to buy two where other sharpeners you only need one.

13. Dingle1911

Dingle1911

Nov 28, 2005
    I echo other users comments. I also own a Wicked Edge, a field and sport pro. I have purchased extra stones, strops, and platens. I enjoy my knives so much more now and I am not afraid to use them. I know that I easily bring back a sharp edge.

14. threefeathers

threefeathers

May 25, 2005
    I'm realizing that I may also get old one of these days (76 now) Thank you for this discussion,

15. FordFan

FordFan

Dec 11, 2012
    I struggled with the cost of the Wicked Edge but have one now. I also have a few extra stones and the new arms. Terrific system. Great edges, as much polish as you want and very repeatable. I used to free hand. I was fairly good at free hand sharpening and I enjoyed it. Interestingly enough I enjoy using the WE and get better results for sure.

If you can handle the cost I doubt you will be disappointed.

16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have always used water stones and free hand sharpened ... but have been considering a guided system to use in reprofiling to get even nice bevels ... and I have tried a few systems that friends have ... the only one that I enjoyed using or that I thought would be consistant enough and easy to repeat the results so that it would be useful to reprofile or even sharpen my knives was the Wicked Edge ... I don't own one ywt ... but it will be the one I buy when I'm ready too buy.

17. dalefuller

Feb 2, 2005
    I don't think so. It comes with the PP-3 but I don't see it listed as part of the PP-2 package. It's only $8.00 however, so it could be added to a PP-2 order pretty painlessly.

Rickyc0823 and Officer's Match like this.
  18. Roikyou

Roikyou

Sep 21, 2017
    My suggestion would be to watch an unboxing video of the one you want and make sure you have space to put it. The gen3 2017 i had was 30lbs.

Rickyc0823 likes this.
  19. Rickyc0823

Dec 22, 2017
    Room isn’t really an issue. I have a countertop dedicated to knives and sharpening and beer! I just want to get it right this time. I know I’ll have to replace stones and strops occasionally but other than that I’d like this system to outlive me. Just talked myself into the WE right then as I typed that. It makes perfect sense!!! It’s a value even, if it outlasts me! Right? Lol

20. Roikyou

Roikyou

Sep 21, 2017
    I tried it when I didn't know better (had a lot to learn) and made mistakes, if I tried it again, I think it would work well. I jump ship quick when I see issues even if they're my own. I personally don't have the space, so that's an issue for me. I think it's a good investment if you have the space and take time to learn it. For myself, I like the KME which comes in what looks like a pistol case, I can sit in my chair and work it well. Just my 2 cents. I took it out of the box the first day and had success with it. When I first tried the WE, I took the paint off the clamp but I was new to sharpening, never tried it before and bought one of the top of the lines.

Rickyc0823 likes this.