Sharpening Compound- Update

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I get a lot of emails asking how I sharpen and what I use for stropping.
With the high Vanadium steels I feel that you give up some cutting performance stropping all the way to a polished edge.
Most all the edges I send my knives out with either come off a 1200 DMT and strop with a 600 grit SC paste, or they come from a 600 grit SC stone and go to the same strop and paste. I like this paste because it cuts the very hard high wear steels very efficiently and leaves a toothy edge that will still push cut phone book paper or tree top arm hairs.

The compound is a little expensive and only comes in bulk 1 pound cans. The can I have has lasted for about 8 years now and is only about half way gone.

What I am curious about is if there would be interested in buying the compound if I repackage it into smaller quantities.
The plan is to repackage into one ounce jars. I will be offering the 600 grit and the 1200 grit, and possibly a 400 grit option.

$20 for 1200 grit. $18 for 600 grit.

compound.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be in for a jar.
Is there a particular 600 grit SC bench stone that you like?

I'd be in for a jar.
Is there a particular 600 grit SC bench stone that you like?

I do not have a "bench" stone I am using.
I bought the stones from Congress Tools. I got their Moldmaster stones sized to fit my Edge Pro Clone.
I have not tried the Norton SC stones yet.
I have been using the 600 stone freehand lately just for minor touch-ups.

I will try to get the components ordered this week to start this ball rolling.
Thanks Everyone for your interest.

The compound works very good on all steels that I have used it on. The beauty is that the SC grain cuts the carbides very nicely and leaves you with a very good, but still slightly toothy edge.

Hey Guys, I got the compounds in this morning, a can of 600 and a can of 1200.
Once I get the containers in I will be ready to take orders and ship out.

Hey Guys, I got the compounds in this morning, a can of 600 and a can of 1200.
Once I get the containers in I will be ready to take orders and ship out.

Chris, I'd be interested as well in a jar of each!

Ok guys, I am waiting for the steel I just ordered to post to the credit card so I can pay it off and see what I have available to order the jars.
Mrs.Big Chris gets slightly upset when I put too much stuff on the credit card at once.

Back