Sharpening Compound- Update

Hi Chris, I was thinking about strops and I wondered, what you prefer to load your compound on? I've used 3/16" vegetable tanned leather mostly, but I'm out of clean material and I'm going to order some, so I figured I'd get some advice first.
If you use leather do you use a grease or a strop conditioner on it first? Thanks!

My most used strop is veg tanned belly leather glued with the hair side down. The belly is actually a little soft at first but after much use it has stiffened up a bit. If I was to do it over again and make a new strop I would use thinner split leather or some shoulder. The compound is grease based and is rather messy, but performs flawlessly. I have never conditioned any strops so I can not comment on the effectiveness of that.

Alright guys, Sorry for the delay, but after much procrastination (It is a bad habit of mine) I have just ordered the jars for repackaging the compound.
I should have the jars here at my shop on Monday and I can start listing it for sale soon after.
Thanks for your patience.

Chris

compound.jpg

See new thread for purchasing.

Prices will be

$18 shipped for 600 grit

$20 shipped for 1200 grit

Back