Sharpening fee question

Ryan,
I'm not trying to argue with you, but your kitchen knives are probably better quality than a lot of what you'll encounter. Those damned Farberware knives tought me a lesson. People have really poor quality knives and think they're great- expect miracles.

Good sharpening,
Dave

No offense taken. Point taken however. Cheap kitchen knives=Worksharp. Ill keep the angle higher then usuall as well. If they dont hold up Ill explain why. Then sell them a quality knife lol. JK on the last though.

I have a small part time sharpening business in my home. Most of what I sharpen is kitchen knives. "Most" being about 75% of the time. When I started, I was amazed at how poor some people have treated their kitchen knives. Most were as mentioned were severely damaged with the pull through, or the Chief's disintegrater as I call it. Some were of the Farberware type with hand axe shaped bevels. They severely needed re-profiling. This all said, I use the paper wheels to sharpen my knives, along with a WSKTS to do major repair and re-profiling. I charge a flat rate of $5 for kitchen knives, and can have them razor sharp in less than 8 minutes unless there is major repair needed. On folders, and straight hunting knives I usually charge from $5 to $10 dollars depending on their condition. No extra charge for multiple blades on folders. Again, I can turn them out in about 10 minutes if no major work is needed on them. I will not sharpen "designer and novelty" types of knives, as they are not designed to be sharpened. Same with Pakistani steel knives. Not worth the wear and tear on my equipment. That said, there is not a lot of money in just sharpening knives unless you have a large client base.

I do it more as a hobby, and as you stated, I can only sharpen my own personal knives so much. I do sharpen family and church friends knives for free, as they pass the word around about my ability, so I get free advertising. The paper wheels allow me to get a knife razor sharp in a minimum of time so I can keep my rates low, and can feed my hobby with enough profit to buy or replace any supplies I may need or want. I have yet to have a dissatisfied customer or any complaints, and usually get repeat business once they see how pleasant it is to use a good sharp knife.

Be Blessed and good luck in your venture!

Omar

I have a small part time sharpening business in my home. Most of what I sharpen is kitchen knives. "Most" being about 75% of the time. When I started, I was amazed at how poor some people have treated their kitchen knives. Most were as mentioned were severely damaged with the pull through, or the Chief's disintegrater as I call it. Some were of the Farberware type with hand axe shaped bevels. They severely needed re-profiling. This all said, I use the paper wheels to sharpen my knives, along with a WSKTS to do major repair and re-profiling. I charge a flat rate of $5 for kitchen knives, and can have them razor sharp in less than 8 minutes unless there is major repair needed. On folders, and straight hunting knives I usually charge from $5 to $10 dollars depending on their condition. No extra charge for multiple blades on folders. Again, I can turn them out in about 10 minutes if no major work is needed on them. I will not sharpen "designer and novelty" types of knives, as they are not designed to be sharpened. Same with Pakistani steel knives. Not worth the wear and tear on my equipment. That said, there is not a lot of money in just sharpening knives unless you have a large client base.

I do it more as a hobby, and as you stated, I can only sharpen my own personal knives so much. I do sharpen family and church friends knives for free, as they pass the word around about my ability, so I get free advertising. The paper wheels allow me to get a knife razor sharp in a minimum of time so I can keep my rates low, and can feed my hobby with enough profit to buy or replace any supplies I may need or want. I have yet to have a dissatisfied customer or any complaints, and usually get repeat business once they see how pleasant it is to use a good sharp knife.

Be Blessed and good luck in your venture!

Omar

Ive considered the paper wheel route. Ill keep it in mind if the worksharp doesnt work out. Yeah I will have it more as a hobby as well. I mean it already is so might as well make a little cash at it. Wont be quitting my day job though. I hope to save enough back to get some shop tools like a drill press and belt sander to get into making knives with the money I might make at it. Ive been working up to it doing customization on my stuff for quite awhile.

Ive considered the paper wheel route. Ill keep it in mind if the worksharp doesnt work out. Yeah I will have it more as a hobby as well. I mean it already is so might as well make a little cash at it. Wont be quitting my day job though. I hope to save enough back to get some shop tools like a drill press and belt sander to get into making knives with the money I might make at it. Ive been working up to it doing customization on my stuff for quite awhile.

I Thought about taking the paper wheel route myself; I only use JP water stones and files (for machetes and axes) - time consumers.
Most of the knives I get to resharpen, are simple folders\kitchen knives, and i'm looking for a simple and effective way to work on them.
I will be more then happy to read reviews on the paper wheel or similar options.

I'm debating the paper wheels as well. I have to believe if you want to cover all your bases, a belt system might be more versatile. In reality one would want both powered systems, rough it on the belts and finish it on the paper wheels. Am still looking around for other powered options too.

For now, the only reason I don't get a good belt system is economical.
The paper wheel system costs around the 60-90USD (and I already got a grinder) while a good belt system is way more expensive. :(

For now, the only reason I don't get a good belt system is economical.
The paper wheel system costs around the 60-90USD (and I already got a grinder) while a good belt system is way more expensive. :(

I don't have anything useful to add in terms of pricing, but I would advise you to not be afraid to turn work away if you even think it might not be worth it.

I don't sharpen knives for other people anymore. I used to for friends and people at work for free but too many times it has been a disappointment for them and for me. Too often people have brought me knives that can be sharpened, but will not hold a good edge for very long because of the steel, or wind up being used to cut on top of inappropriate surfaces and become blunted very quickly, or would need extensive re-profiling that the person doesn't want. As the sharpener, you will get blamed for all that.

Just something to consider when you are thinking up your policies.

I'm debating the paper wheels as well. I have to believe if you want to cover all your bases, a belt system might be more versatile. In reality one would want both powered systems, rough it on the belts and finish it on the paper wheels. Am still looking around for other powered options too.

This is what i do when There is lots of grinding or profiling that needs to be done. Otherwise, if just some minor grinding is all that is needed, then the paper wheels is adequate. On some knives that have a good bevel and is just dulled from light use, then all is needed is the "slotted wheel" which acts as a strop, and will return the knife to its former sharpness with just some compound and a little touching up. I would not get rid of my WSKTS as it is invaluable for major repairs and grinding. Not to mention sharpening garden shears and tools. I would love to upgrade it to the KO when I can justify the expenditure.

Blessings,

Omar

Back