Sharpening M390

In a situation be it man made, or mother nature , learn how to sharpen your main tool by hand. Setting up to sleep in the snow , or eat what you have brought takes time. To stay dry can be very difficult.

I just went through and reprofiled 2 more knives in M390, and my DMT XC stone made pretty quick work of both knives. I can strongly recommend that stone.

I agree. I found it more tedious to sharpen S30 than M390.

I have found this to be very true as well, but M390 has at least double the edge retention of S30V. M390/20CV are a win win in my book. The only thing you give up over S30V is toughness.

I have found this to be very true as well, but M390 has at least double the edge retention of S30V. M390/20CV are a win win in my book. The only thing you give up over S30V is toughness.
204P also falls into the same category as the M390.

By the way I looked at you website and I happen to be fond of knives such as yours. I like the size between 3"-3.5". I also saw the 7.5" Chef's knife and you did a beautiful job. As a school trained cook I have only one recommendation, The knife should have a little more belly for rocking motion for chopping Herb's and things. It seems that you have taken you cues from Japanese knives where I believe that you should take the german style blade into account. I hope your not offended but you are on my wish list for future purchases.

I have a few knives in m390, CPM-M4 ZDP-189 and one in Rex121, one in M42... The Wicked Edge makes it tough to tell the difference from the speed at which the paddles cut the bevels. On the harder large carbide steels one has to have a very light touch though.

Just to see if it was possible, I finshed off an M390 edge with 40yo AK coarse/fine hand stone and it worked great with minimal effort.

I reprofiled and sharpened my ZT 0452 CF last night which is S35VN steel and all I could think about how nice it was to my M390. I have no problem paying a little more for M390 and I don't believe there is a big difference in price between the two. The sharpening enjoyment would double. M390 has ruined it for me.

Back