Sharpening Planer Blades with Tsprof K02 and Simple Modifications.

I tried sharpening some planer blades before with my K02 and could not get the right angle and the problem was that you could not raise the turret high enough and although Tsprof claims the scissor attachment's can be used from between 50 and 80 degree's II can't see it.

The easy fix was to get some washer's for 3mm screw's and some longer screw's as well I used some I had laying around and that all you need.

This is a stock scissor attachment and the first thing you need to do is to remove the metal plate on the top of the fixing unit that I'm pointing at the reason for this is so the scissor attachment can be bent in towards the fixing unit.

muPPlgn.jpg

What you need to do is to is to use longer screws that hold the scissor attachment together at the bottom and use 3 of the 3mm washer on the bottom screw,also red loctite both screws and start by tightening the the top screw until the black part of the scissor attachment touch's the fixing unit and you will really need to crank these tight and then tighten the bottom screw and it does not need to be really tight just snug and re-check the top after tightening the bottom screw as I had on one of the scissor attachment the black part moved away just a bit but I caught right away and re-tightened again a bit more,also you need to use a dremel tool and cut the top screw if it sticks out at all and I cut the bottom one as well just for looks.

xhqG8V1.jpg

It should also be noted that most planer blades are sharpened at 40 degree's but you can not use an angle to set up the K02 at first and the reason is that the scissor attachment's are bent forwards towards the K02 already and they are not in the same plane as when sharpening a knife witch is in the same plane as the central shaft on the K02.

The easiest and simplest way to figure it out is to use the old make marker trick and try with a coarse stone removing a bit of metal until the marker comes of the whole edge in a a few strokes and evenly as well then once you are sure you have your angle correct then you can set the angle cube onto the leveling block and zero out your angle cube then set the angle cube on the guide and make a note of the angle it is at mine was 26.7 degree's and that was my reference every time I changed stones and checked that way to see if the stone was any thinner or thicker then the last and if it was I re-set the angle back to 26.7 each time.

I just used the Tsprof Silicon Carbide stones to re-sharpen these planer blades they are a friends that were a bit rusty and had never been re-sharpened now all he has to do is to try them.

RJbF0bL.jpg

If you notice the white poeace that the guide rod is going into on the turret that is a new Zedex plastic part that Tsprof is making for the K02 and and it wears better and gives a nicer and smoother and quieter feel to the K02 overall.

PKJkcFJ.jpg

Once modded it works very well at sharpening planer blades and it does it a lot better then you think it would.

After using the K02 a bit more I decided to make another modification this time to the guide rod because the closer you get to the central shaft the the short the stroke you have to take so you don't run the guide rod into the turret,what I'm talking about are the 2 tang's that stick out past the sharpening stone and I think the reason Tsprof made them longer like that was in case someone wanted to use a longer sharpening stone if they have one laying around.

Before
N1LeOR5.jpg

And after.
1j07C7i.jpg

Back