sharpening setup

Hi everybody,
Maybe you will find my question weird.. But i am questioning myself about my sharpening tools.. I curently have a Sharpmaker with diamond-medium-fine and ultra fine. Also a Worsharp guided sharpener with all the extra's. Do you think that i am cover with that? Or should i buy Something like a KME to complete my kit? I already have quite success with what i have, but maybe i should add a ''clamp'' system...

Thanks for your advices! :)
And sorry for my so so English… i speak french;)

i speak french;)
Thank you for taking the time to participate in this forum and in English :thumbsup:
I think first of all we would like to hear which knives you will be sharpening :
What steel alloys?
How hard ?
How long are the blades?
How much if any damage?

Generally I just cut to the chase and say : Throw all that other stuff out and just use an Edge Pro Apex guided sharpener.

But if you are sharpening machetes with dings in the edge that Work sharp might be of use.
The Sharpmaker is kind of cute but the majority of factory made knives seem to have slightly different sharpening angles on each side so the rods may or may not be on the actual edge of the knife until one reforms the sharpening bevels to the angle of the Sharpmaker. I use the rods free hand for quick touch ups and they are quite good for that.

If you are talking about the guided sharpener with the diamond plates, you should be fine. As long as you take the time to raise a burr and remove it on both sides, you can’t get a great edge. For a year I sharpened using that system and a dmt eef plate. The plate was expensive but worth it. I also invested in 2 balsa wood strops for 8 bucks each and some wicked edge diamond paste form 5 micron down to .5 and a .25 spray. When I was done I could whittle a hair from my head when holding it in hand. Practice makes perfect is really what’s gonna be the best. At the end of the day it all comes down to raising a burr and removing it. After that refining the edge is the next steps, and how far you want to take it is totally up to you. I use a wicked edge go bow with diamond stones up to 3k and lapping films to .1 micron, and it works phenomenaly. I sharpen a lot of knives, so I wanted something more time efficient. Whatever works for you man! Good luck.

Thank you very much! A part of my "collection" are a Slysz Bowie, Spydiechief, Inkosi, 940-1, Bugout, Benchmade Puuko, Spyderco Kapara and some French Laguiole's Like i Said, i got quite good results with the Workshap guides system and the Sharpmaker. I just need to know if that would be a good idea to add a KME to complete my kit. Since i can have a good deal on it. I had an Edge pro but i sold it cuz of the Whetstone mess...

If you’ve got a good deal on the kme, I say go for it. The clamped systems with diamond stones in my opinion are much faster than freehand, and easier to learn also.

Back