Sharpening straight razor

Hi all am new here. Wondering if anyone knows sharpening people in the so cal area or the states. tried and watched videos. And just can't get my straight razor right again would like more tips or places you would send you razor to if it say got f'ed

I don't know of any straight razor honing services specifically in So. Cal, but there are plenty of places that do it.
Look here.

In reply to your other posts, some people use 1k, 4k, 8k, 12k, etc synthetics from bevel set to finish.
Others use full natural stone progressions, and others use combinations. There's many ways to get there.

It seems a lot of old world barbers mostly just had 1 or 2 small stones and a strop.
Equipment now days can include pasted leather/wood/paper/felt/linen strops, polishing tapes, natural stones, synthetics, bonded or plated diamond. Pastes can be aluminum oxide, chrome oxide, diamond, CBN.

The possibilities these days seem endless, and there are forums with hundreds of thousands of posts dedicated to this discussion. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.

What razor do you have, and what does it need? Can you post pictures?

I don't know of any straight razor honing services specifically in So. Cal, but there are plenty of places that do it.
Look here.

In reply to your other posts, some people use 1k, 4k, 8k, 12k, etc synthetics from bevel set to finish.
Others use full natural stone progressions, and others use combinations. There's many ways to get there.

It seems a lot of old world barbers mostly just had 1 or 2 small stones and a strop.
Equipment now days can include pasted leather/wood/paper/felt/linen strops, polishing tapes, natural stones, synthetics, bonded or plated diamond. Pastes can be aluminum oxide, chrome oxide, diamond, CBN.

The possibilities these days seem endless, and there are forums with hundreds of thousands of posts dedicated to this discussion. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.

What razor do you have, and what does it need? Can you post pictures?

Well I can't seem to post pictures just says something about media. Anyways I have a dovo...what strop do you personally use and own let's start there...

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Has the razor ever been honed on flat stones, or is it new? The first time you set a bevel on a new razor can take a long time, and it can be difficult to know when you have been successful.
Razors are rarely straight, which is also a challenge when you are inexperienced. I would suggest working it on a 1k stone until you are able to raise a burr along the entire length.
It's a good habit to rock the pressure from one end to the other during the stroke, as you would with a smiling razor, to ensure you hit the entire edge.

Once the bevel is set, try this:
https://scienceofsharp.com/2016/04/14/simple-straight-razor-honing/comment-page-1/

No it was great for like a year then I forgot it in the shower got rusty tried to polish it up and then tried some compound on a dremel I then tried to fix after some time of unsmooth shaves with a dmt diamond stone but the kind with holes never was right also tried a flat strop from burfection because is sounds good..thinking of a hanging strop now. I don't really like stones because of the water and mess so any diamond suggestions would be great

Anyways I have a dovo...what strop do you personally use and own let's start there...
I use a $10 bare leather strop from whippeddog, and bare cotton strap. The expensive strops I have don't do any better. Then there's scrap leather with mothers mag polish, rarely used.

50573631822_3cfcab6540_k.jpg

If it were mine, I'd give it the full treatment, repair/bevel set/refine/finish/strop.

^^ Todd's method works for me and is easy, give it a try.
and yes, always hone towards a smiling edge (belly).

EDIT:
No it was great for like a year then I forgot it in the shower got rusty tried to polish it up and then tried some compound on a dremel I then tried to fix after some time of unsmooth shaves with a dmt diamond stone but the kind with holes never was right also tried a flat strop from burfection because is sounds good..thinking of a hanging strop now. I don't really like stones because of the water and mess so any diamond suggestions would be great
Forget what I've said up to this point, I think you'd be better off sending it out for now.

Last edited:

DMT EF is OK for setting a bevel, but sorry, you need to follow it with something that doesn't do so much damage to the apex. If you really can't deal with a normal razor stone, then 1 micron alumimum oxide lapping film should be IF you use the technique I linked.

Back