Sharpening the PSK??

Hi Scott and whomever else wants to chime in,

Do you suggest sharpening the PSK with the mouse pad and sandpaper trick? I have never really sharpened a convex edge properly so am wanting to make sure I do it right.

I know the PSK has a secondary bevel (right?) and it's not full convex, but should I sharpen like a convex?

Thanks all,
Brett

There is a slight secondary bevel, but it is convexed. Sharpen it as you would any convex edge. Sandpaper/mousepad will work. When I get a chance i'll put up pics of how I sharpen with a diamond sharpener.
Scott

Cool. I will do the mousepad thing. Would love to see the pics of your diamond sharpening tips. I carry a diamond credit card sharpener everywhere and that would be handy.

Brett
There is a slight secondary bevel, but it is convexed. Sharpen it as you would any convex edge. Sandpaper/mousepad will work. When I get a chance i'll put up pics of how I sharpen with a diamond sharpener.
Scott

I have one of your recently crafted Tuskers, an 8" A2 blade with Maple.

Will my Sharpmaker work for maintaining the edge, or is the mousepad/sandpaper technique the better bet?

Here are pics showing me using a flat sharpener. I sharpen away from the edge, rolling off. Just try to keep the angle with the edge, not too steep or you will round it.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 80
Probably usually just needs a good stropping.

Make your own. Get an old (real leather) belt from Goodwill. Get two paint stirrers from Home Despot. Glue the paint stirrers together to give thickness. Contact cement half of the the belt to each side of the stirrer. Load with two different grits.

I have started to use the sandpaper progression on two stacked mousepads lately and it works like a charm. No expensive stuff, just wet-dry sandpaper and the pags.

I start with 600, then progress up to 800 and then to 1500. I can get my blades nice and workign sharp in a matter of minutes. I also find that I like having the convex edge on my small pocket knives as well as the fixed blades. Makes for a nice, strong edge.

Take care,
Brett

Back