1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Sharpening Therapy

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Huntnow, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Huntnow

Huntnow

Dec 2, 2018
    I like sharpening my knives, sometimes even when they don’t really need it. Sharpening knives and having a beer is the best therapy I know of. Anyone else share my point of view?

2. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    " ABSOLUTELY ":thumbsup:

3. Huntnow

Huntnow

Dec 2, 2018
    Because I believe all threads benefit from a pic.[​IMG]

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, I enjoy it very much

Huntnow likes this.
  5. Huntnow

Huntnow

Dec 2, 2018
    My bad. I didn’t know there was a dedicated area.

6. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Indeed. I have spent many an hour rubbing steel on stone that didn't really need it at all. Kind of relaxing - for me at least. Also a good opportunity to try all sorts of different techniques and such in terms of stone prep (coarse lap or fine? Burnish the stone surface to wear it in a bit? Polish it with a buffer?) or angle changes, using slurry or not and how much, differing methods of generating it, etc. Many variables to play with.

jpm2 and Huntnow like this.
  7. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    I am the opposite. Probably because I'm only mildly proficient at hand sharpening. I just want to get it done quick so mostly I use paper wheels. But if I were really good at hand sharpening I can see the Zen appeal.

Huntnow likes this.
  8. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    How are you liking the paper wheels? As just a collector I have always wondered if it would make a good home sharpening system.

I also like hand sharpening and find it relaxing, but it can take a long time.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    It took me a little bit to get the hang of them but now they are fine. The weird thing is that the edge doesn't feel sharp to the touch in the same way as stones, but the edge shaves pretty effortlessly. However I can still get an even sharper edge on stones, but it's a lot more work.

Lapedog likes this.
  10. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I really enjoy sharpening a lot as well,I only have one knife that is a pain to sharpen and that's a Japanese chef knife made from ZDP-189 and it is really hard and after I'm done using diamonds the water stones tend to make it slow going but other then that knife I like sharpening,I just find my ZDP-189 knife to be a bit frustrating at times.

Huntnow likes this.
  11. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I think I know another problem you might have and that's if your knifes are still sharp and your sharpening them you need to start using them more LOL.

I have more knife then I can remember off the top of my head plus I just purchased a BENCHMADE 810-1401 Exclusive knife last night.

sickpuppy1 likes this.
  12. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    It's therapy until something goes awry, and then it becomes frustrating. Once solved, all is right with the world again. Rinse and repeat.

And yeah, I need to use my knives more to keep up my sharpening skills.

Chicken or egg? :p

Eli Chaps, Huntnow and Lapedog like this.
  13. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Being wired differently (I can't help being contrary. . . it just happens . . . with no effort on my part what so ever) I must say the Therapy comes from sitting here reading all this stuff (and ever so rarely making my own "minute" :p comment or contribution :p.

I take my sharpening too seriously to give it anything but my best.
    Maybe I'm just not that competent yet at sharpening.

A beer and the chatroom; sure.

Mine pretty much always need it unless it is one of my M4 blades.
    Heck I even have a Para2 S110V I was using at work for one stink'in day and I ran into a single grain of embedded grit while cutting some hard rubber . . . I felt it hit . . . now I need to sharpen that out; the rest of the edge is plenty sharp though so I think I will let it wane a while.
    (too much typing to do here). ;)

14. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Sounds like a very good time to me ! :thumbsup:

15. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Had to look up that model BM. That looks dope as hell. I want pics!

16. Huntnow

Huntnow

Dec 2, 2018
    I have been forced to get the Sharpie out a few times... The desire for a really sharp edge teaches patience and fosters determination.

17. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    I have plenty of Sharpies around the hacienda. But I think I've painted an edge once. Twice at most.

I haven't the patience for it. ;)

(No worries, I've been improving my skills for decades. Most of my muttering is reserved for the knives of others I sharpen on their behalf. Most...then it's lucky I don't have a cat to kick. And the dog knows I know better. :cool:)

18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    When I bring out the water stones, soak them, and l
    Whenever my wife sees the sharpening gear out she asks if I've been meditating. :) I enjoy it very much.

Zieg

Huntnow likes this.
  19. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    I think we're going to have compile a chart of edge quality based upon the ABV % of our favorite brews...:eek:

(Some of mine occasionally exceed 10%...I only sharpen my wife's cheap kitchen knives under such conditions. ;) Most times they're a more reasonable 6-10 percent ABV.)

Huntnow likes this.
  20. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I'll post pic's when I get it,I got it from a Knife retailer in Canada and he's selling for a friend of his family who passed away and never used this knife at all.
    The guy from the knife store that a deal with thought of me first because he knows I like some of the exclusive knifes that Benchmade does and he could not get this knife when it came out to sell because it's was exclusive to Knifeworks I think.

Don't ask what online retailer it was in Canada I can't anything as I was asked not to because he doesn't want people to think I get special treatment and have a bunch people get their panties in bunch with him,he knows that I have purchased a lot from him and sent a lot of people from my area his way and I buy almost everything from hi and this is just his way of giving me first shot at it because it's a 3 hour drive at least.

I was thinking about getting that knife in M4 because Benchmade still makes it in M4 but when I seen I could get this one in M390 I jumped on it right away because I don't want to have to worry about rust,I know M4 isn't to bad for rust but it's one less thing to worry about and M390 cut's as aggressive as M4 if you ask me or very close.

Plus the stock G10 handles in plain black look really cheap and crappy on that knife and that's another problem I have with BM there black G10 looks like crap just look at the Barrage.

If I get an M4 version of this knife as well I'll get these scale's I got them for my Barrage and love them,there made by aramis akhmedov you can google his name with scales after it and his site will come up as well.

http://aratech.ru/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=119&search=810