Sharpening video is up

Scott,
Great job on the video. It makes sharpening in the field much easier when you have it explained and shown to you.:thumbup:

Thanks Scott You have tried to explain this in the past but man a video sure makes it easier to understand.

Scott..., I really enjoyed the video. VERY INFORMATIVE, and I learned a new technique. I have always been taught to contact the sharpening rod, stone, etc.,. with the edge of the blade as if you were attempting a cut. I am anxious to give your method a try. It obviously works, and I can attest to that. Hope you're having a good deer season. A little slow here in Georgia, but it's getting better. THANKS!!!

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I hope you'll be able to use this method to maintain your edges. Keeping them touched up and not letting them dull will make sure you have a sharp knife whenever you need it. Just a few minutes doing it this way will save alot of time.
Scott

Thanks for the video Scott. I have been using this method since I heard you describe in another thread a few weeks ago and it works great. I am really surprised how little effort it takes as long as the knife is not to dull. I have found it works great on big knives too. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Thanks for the video Scott. I have been using this method since I heard you describe in another thread a few weeks ago and it works great. I am really surprised how little effort it takes as long as the knife is not to dull. I have found it works great on big knives too. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

No problem. Yes, it does work well on big blades, hatchets and axes. You are right about little effort if you don't let it dull but I have brought knives back this way that were really dull. It took about 30 minutes on a dull edge.
Scott

Last edited:
I'm at work, we can't access Youtube. Is this your method with the folding diamond hone Scott? I'm going to watch when I get home.

Great stuff Scott, thanks for that !

One quick question, when ya say don't let them get too dull, how do you define too dull ?
Not shaving hairs, not slicing paper ?

I had a question can you go straight from the e-z lap sportsman to gray compound and then green compound on a strop. Should I buy the fine and super fine paddles? (Just bought sportsman today) If I can go straight to the strop how sharp do you get it with the sportsman (arm hair shaving)?

pitdog, not sure how to answer that. I just know by the way the edge feels along my thumb that it needs a touch up. Remember just because it doesn't shave, doesn't mean it's not sharp.
cd, I would recommend both the rod and paddle to bring the edge to it's full potential. Stropping like I did on my pants sometimes is all that's necessary.
Like any style of sharpening, this way will require practice to become efficient at it.
Scott

Dang Barry White! Talk to people all the time via the interwebs and you kind of imagine what the person looks and sounds like. I wasn't expecting that deep voice. LOL :D

Good video I'm gonna send it to my buddy. He's not real up on knives and knife sharpening. I had a question about the scandi though. Aren't you supposed to lay the hone directly on the bevel?

Dang Barry White! Talk to people all the time via the interwebs and you kind of imagine what the person looks and sounds like. I wasn't expecting that deep voice. LOL :D

Good video I'm gonna send it to my buddy. He's not real up on knives and knife sharpening. I had a question about the scandi though. Aren't you supposed to lay the hone directly on the bevel?

:D Thanks. With the scandi it is the same way as the convex, just hit the very edge. This method you have to sharpen at a higher angle. If you scratch the main grind, you are not high enough. Remember, only the edge.
Scott

Scott, good video my friend! I just added it to the Wilderness Learning Center Facebook site. Very informative.

Hi Scott -

Thank you for posting that video - very good and to-the-point instruction.

You have made me a better edge-creator.

best regards -

mqqn

Back