Sharpening

What is everyone using to keep their JK knives nice and sharp?

I have the Lansky system which seems to work well and is economical.

Does anyone use Wicked Edge? What else?

I use a edge pro apex and a 3 process strop using a black then green compound finishing on bare leather (non flesh side). Then I maintain with the strops and ceramic rod.

My setup has significantly changed recently in preparation for the sharpening service I'm offering with my brand and for John. I largely do free-hand with stones or a diamond rod like the buck edgetek ultra steel. I use a cheap harborfreight belt sander for my bigger knives and reprofiling big knives that come with edges that are too thick. I've had a few good buds from the forum gift me a worksharp tool sharpener (small belt sander with guides) and what I think is a Chinese knock-off of an edge pro (uses same stones but is setup a little different). I haven't used the two guided sharpeners yet.

I'm also planning to try out John's 3M fiber belt method after some discussions with him and it's effectiveness for handling convex grinds. If I can get adequate at that then I should be able to service anything you all can throw at me, outside of a completely broken blade.

I'll have to get a picture of the setup soon. I think I have almost a dozen different stones now and 4-5 different sharpening methods to choose from for different needs, including recurves.

Under normal use I usually touch up the edge on a leather strop with a polishing compound. If I need more than that I use a diamond rod similar to a chef's honing steel.

Back