Sharpfinger sheaths

Codger_64

From time to time someone asks me for advice on a Sharpfinger sheath. Of course, I tell them about the variety that the factory offered,

and Normark's Kydex rig, but there is one maker who seems to satisfy them time after time.

Here's Keith's:

Here's mine:

That would be PF Long, our Sheathmaker! If you don't have one of your own yet, what are you waiting for?
Codger

Sheathmaker cannot be beat for great leather work. But for the punk in me, being prepared for a chance meeting with Sonny Barger, here's my Sharpfinger (actually, a Rigid brand high-tech looking clone) rig by Normark, adjusted for small of the back concealed carry.

DSCF4164.jpg

I was honestly amazed at the workmanship and quality of the Sharpfinger sheath that Paul fashioned for me. Holy smokes. I'd asked him for a no-frills, plain-jane sheath and got this handsome, comfortable to wear offering made from leather with great "character" that can only get better-looking with time. As you can see above in the photo, the detail work is better than that in sheaths I've seen by other, supposedly top of the line, leathersmiths. It looks even better when you're actually holding it in your hands. Not sure about the pattern or design Paul uses, but this is the first fixed-blade knife sheath I've worn that isn't awkward to live with, regardless of whether you're standing, sitting, or getting in and out of a car. First-rate job, Paul...!

Keith

Snowman, am I understanding correctly that you used your Sharpfinger at work this past weekend? Maybe you can tell us about that.

Codger

Sorry...meant to add that. I'm a deputy sheriff and ran up on an injury accident while off-duty where a woman was T-boned and pinned in her car with internal injuries. A volunteer firefighter happened to be there also and we pried her driver's side door open with a bar he had stashed in the back of his pick-up. Gasoline was dribbling from beneath her car, so I used my Sharpfinger to clip easily through her tightly cinched seatbelt and help the paramedics get her out of the badly-crunched vehicle. She's survived the impact nicely though she'll be sore for a while...and the 152OT still shaves the hair off my forearm clean as a whistle. Mr. Baer intended for that little knife to be a tough, uncomplaining companion, I suspect...and from where I stand he was a resounding success. :thumbup:

Glad you joined us, Snowman! You are the guy I want coming up on my accident scene. Good going.

Phil

Woodduck said:
Who is that sheath maker?
E-mail me Woodduck, and I will put you in touch with Paul. My contact information is in my profile.

Codger

textoothpk said:
Glad you joined us, Snowman! You are the guy I want coming up on my accident scene. Good going.

Phil

Nah...'twern't no big deal. The driver's door crunched open easy enough with the big pry-bar the fireman had in his pick-up. Other than adding extra leverage on the pry-bar, the only thing I contributed was a sharp knife. (Funny how few men keep a good utility knife handy these days.) But that's all. I've been a cop for 35 years and, like Codger says, "...even a blind hog finds an acorn now'n then". I just happened to be there at the right time.

Folding knives are truly "handy" and unobtrusive in today's society, but I've always preferred a smallish fixed-blade knife. My biological father moved here from Finland immediately after WW2, so I suppose I'm oriented toward a sheath knife after growing up around puukkos. While a puukko has everything I like in a small utility knife, I can't bring myself to wear one unless it's in the traditional, deep-pouch sheath dangling free from my belt, and that just draws too much attention and comment in a metro area.

The little Sharpfinger remains, at least here in the midwest, a superb example of a tough, fixed-blade utility knife that you can wear in public without drawing much comment from anyone, or stuff away in the console of your car. The ruggedly handsome eye appeal of Paul's hand-built sheath just makes it easier...at least for me. The key, I suppose, is to make the choices and adjustments needed to keep a good blade always at hand. Never know when you might need it. :)

Sheathmaker cannot be beat for great leather work. But for the punk in me, being prepared for a chance meeting with Sonny Barger, here's my Sharpfinger (actually, a Rigid brand high-tech looking clone) rig by Normark, adjusted for small of the back concealed carry.

DSCF4164.jpg

I would like to find out if i can get a sheath like this for my Sharpfinger. Small of back, left hand opening. Can anyone help me?

Codger_64, would you send mr. Long a photo of your sheath and snowman366 sheath? Looking for 1 and these may be the style I'm looking for!
Thanks
Shoot870p

Codger_64, would you send mr. Long a photo of your sheath and snowman366 sheath? Looking for 1 and these may be the style I'm looking for!
Thanks
Shoot870p
Sorry for the delay in responding. I tried yesterday to repost pictures here but my photohost site was down. I'll try again today. I will say that original factory leather sheaths are available on eBay from time to time. New or used. And the cheap Chinese nylon sheaths do work. Paul's sheaths are not cheap stampings. They are created one at a time as commissioned. And while they are very functional, they are also art.

17bjg5.jpg

Here are the four main variants of factory sheaths I have identified.

6tcnqp.jpg

Back