Sharpmaker vs. Knife Points

I have the Sharpmaker 204, and have used it with a few different knives. On knives that have a distinct point (such as my Dragonfly) I've noticed that the point is not so pointy any more.

I suspect that what's happening is that when I'm using the corner of the stones, as I draw the blade down the stone and get to the tip the tip slips off the corner and drags across the side of the stone, thus wearing it away.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but what exactly? Am I pressing too hard against the stone, causing it to slip at the end of the blade and rub? Should I use lighter pressure, or not draw the final fraction of an inch across the stone corner?

Thanks for the help; my new Calypso Jr. is in need of a touch-up, but I'm afraid of ruining the nice point!

------------------

--Frank C.

FrankC - my suggestion is to "not draw the final fraction of an inch across the corner of the stone". Finish the tip on the flat side of the stone and likewise to not "roll" off the edge, stop on the stone.

Another point of view is to let the tip "go rounded". It is a "very sharp" rounded edge and functionally equal in most "tip applications" with exception of "taking out splinters", etc.

sal

I find that on knives that are really sharp to begin with, I don't need to use the corners of the stones at all, just using the flat of the fine stones does the trick, and doesn't put your point at risk. I only use the medium stone and the corners of the fine stone on POS knives like most of my kitchen knives. YMMV.

Frank,
I don't know if my method is 'correct', but I basically stroke the edge down the stone at an even pressure until I reach aproximately the last inch, where I start to let off pressure so that by the time the tip passes the corner there is little to no pressure on the tip(but still in contact). If that area near the tip still needs work, I'll go back and work on it in a careful isolated fashion.
BTW I don't do this with all my edges, just the ones that I feel need to have a fine point preserved as long as possible.

Ken

I've done some experimenting, and seem to have it down now. I'm not pressing as hard against the stone, and holding off at the last moment. This leaves the last 1/16th or so unsharpened (on the corner of the white stones).

Then, I finish off the sharpening and the tip area on the flat sides, and give the tip area a few extra strokes.

Seems to work well, with good results (at least for shaving my arm)
smile.gif

Thanks everyone,

------------------

--Frank C.

Back