Sharpneing a pry bar?

Short Question: Can I sharpen the prying tip of a moulding pry bar without affecting its prying ability?

I frequently pry open wooden wine cases. Most cheaper wines come in boxes that are nailed/stapled sloppy enough that I can get my pry bar's tip to wedge in/hang onto edge. Expensive wines boxes had great fit and finish on the box! My moulding pry bar can't wedge in due to the blunt tip. Being a BF member, I naturally start search the forum for "hard use knife for prying". After reading some great threads on this subject, I realize I don't need to carry this on my person like a multi-tool. I could sharpen the pry bar tip to jam it between the wood panels. But should I? Will the act of prying round over the tip? It's not a straight bar either, so hammering had to be done carefully. BTW, I don't have a big old screwdriver to use for this purpose. I could buy a big nail or cold chisel from hardware store, sharpen them and use them as wedge only. But that's another trip to the hardware store.

Doesn't need to be a low angle--you can sharpen them for sure, it's a matter of making sure you don't bring that edge thinner than what is sufficient to resist the strain of the load. Think cold chisel angles.

I've used everything from sharpening stones to angle grinders with sanding disks to belt grinders for thinning out pry bar tips; the results are worth it. :thumbup:

On many of the smaller bars I tried to get them as sharp as reasonably possible so they can get behind moulding or small gaps etc.

A dmt will work, but a grinder or belt sander will be much quicker!

Upon closer examination of my DascoPro 7.5" Ultra Bar II, I found the prying tip already has 80% or more of the edge round over. Because it's a curved bar, edge will always lift up when struck with hammer on the other end. The bevel of the edge is about 45 degree. Should I just keep this bevel angle? My original problem is that it's hard to wedge it between tight panel gaps.

I don't have a grinder or belt sander because I only got "play" time at night. Don't want to make much noise.

Last edited:
You can definitely sharpen the edge on a pry bar. Some actually are too sharp for me as they come. I use a nail puller bar for the small stuff which I believe is what you are using.

I have a couple of scars from the sharp corners of my Gränsfors bars. Now when I sharpen a pry bar I round off the corners.

Back