Shave Brush Wear?

Skidoosh

Gold Member
I've got a badger brush that I've had for about 8+ years now. I've noticed that the center of the brush is mostly worn down while the edges still look and work great. Is this normal wear? When do you decide to retire a brush?

I'd say if it starts shedding bad, or smelling really off. My current brush is about 9 years old, and seems about as good as when I got it. Its lost some bristles in that time, but it still does the job.
In the grand scheme, if you are figuring 5-10 years out of a brush, they are not so expensive, so it it works, cool. If you want a new one, I'd say you got your money's worth.

My brush is several years old and is in that condition too. I've been thinking on replacing it. DM

I'm 5 years in with every day use on Edwin Jagger and it's still fantastic. Drying it thoroughly seems to have helped its longevity. I'm thinking about rotating in another brush to allow more time to dry. Unless it's not funky or incredibly thin I don't see a need to retire them

I ended up trying an Excelsior boar bristle and really did not care for it. I'm ok with stiff brushes but it did not seem to catch soap and lather well. I purchased a badger brush from Sterling Shave and am very pleased with it for the money.

I'm 5 years in with every day use on Edwin Jagger and it's still fantastic. Drying it thoroughly seems to have helped its longevity. I'm thinking about rotating in another brush to allow more time to dry. Unless it's not funky or incredibly thin I don't see a need to retire them
I have one of those plastic hangers that let the brush hang down. Very important for them to dry, mines a medium priced Boars hair .. 9 years of almost daily use and it’s fine!

Back