Shave of the day?

Would anybody be interesteed in doing a shave of the day type thread where a person could post pics of shave stuff that they used on a given day and give a discriptionof it?
I figure it could further jumpstart this area of the forum and give us all an opportunity to brag a little about the most consistantly used blades in the house.
Feedback would be great either way.

this would be interesting, i just shaved with an opinel because my straight razor is a POS and wont take an edge.. i wonder if anyone else uses anything weird?

this would be interesting, i just shaved with an opinel because my straight razor is a POS and wont take an edge.. i wonder if anyone else uses anything weird?

Actually, my razor has been in my bag (different airport, people weren't paying attention) for a few weeks (I got it back last week), so I used my EDC to shave. New EDC, barely used so it was enough to shave with.

Nice shave for me today.

Prep: the usual, just a nice, hot shower.

Lather: the usual, The Gentleman's Quarter face-lathered with a Merkur brush.

Shave: the usual, Two passes, one north-to-south (mostly WTG) and the second south-to-north (mostly ATG) with a Merkur Futur using a Bic Chrome Platinum blade.

Aftershave: the usual, rinse with cold water and the apply a generous splash of my everyday aftershave which is drugstore 70% IPA rubbing alcohol.

Hrm. I guess I'm gonna get left out on this one. ;-)

I just recently decided to grow a full beard for the first time in my life (32 years old), so I only have to worry about my neck, and I'm only shaving that every few days now.

Toaday I used my Dovo 5/8 black star with green scales
lathered with a sample of vanilla shave soap from straight razor design and used nevia "for men " sensitive skin after shave balm. I'm still learning the straight and this was the best and closest shave to date!

Shaved with cheapo DE, cheapo blades, lathered with cheapo brush and soap. 3 passes on the face, one with the grain, two against. Just one pass of each kind on the scalp. Result: I should be super-smooth till the morning at least. :D

Hot towel on the face followed by a hot face wash.

Whipped up a storm of foam in the mug, Taylor's of Old Bond St Lavender. Always make too much foam as I forget this cream lathers exceptionally prolifically.

Omega Badger brush. However, I do find that a synthetic brush-not boar-is as good too so I alternate.

Merkur 34 short razor, Feather blade on its fourth shave.

Shaves very aggressively both WTG and ATG but no nicks or burn, I shave every other day so there is plenty for the razor to do.

Wash off with ultra cold water, apply moisturizer and or Cade Shaving Balm(nice Juniper smell) as I live in a very dry environ-cold outside,ferociously hot inside.

Equals great pride in a very close shave done well and with no mishaps. BIC certainly are good blades too,but the quality can be a bit debatable. Half the price of Feather for instance, but I just get on with Feather so effectively.

Today's shave: Same as yesterday.

And another really great DE shave. I've been using a DE for just a few weeks over a year now. My DE shaves are an order of magnitude (ten times) better than anything I ever got from cartridges (Gil. Sensor) and cans. And my C&C shaves were an order of magnitude (at least) better than my old Norelco ever gave me. The really nice part is that I quite literally and quite actually save almost a dollar every morning with DE vs. C&C. My DE shave takes about three minutes longer than my C&C did (12 minutes vs. 9 minutes timed from first twist of the water tap to last wipe of the counter).

This has been a great change and I'm delighted to have made it. I recommend to any guy still paying out and suffering with carts and cans that you kick the can and get a DE. The learning curve was not long or hard, the shaves are great, and the monitary savings are real.

Had to make it quick tonight, so it was a DE shave.

1952 Gillette Superspeed
Muhle Pure Badger
The Gentlemen's Quarter sample #6 (it has no name yet, but it's made of frankincense, lime and a few other essential oils)

As an aftershave: Old Spice.

When I shave at night and don't get out, I usually use cheap drugstore aftershaves to which I add witch hazel. Interresting fact: Women love the scent of Old Spice, as long as you DON'T tell them it's Old Spice.

This has been a great change and I'm delighted to have made it. I recommend to any guy still paying out and suffering with carts and cans that you kick the can and get a DE. The learning curve was not long or hard, the shaves are great, and the monitary savings are real.

Us DE fans can only hope your call doesn't fall on deaf ears!

Hmm, in the several years I've been grooming my whole HEAD with a DE, I wonder how much more I would have spent if I was still using cartridge razors? :eek: Then again, maybe I'm better off NOT knowing.

My calculation:

Cartridges, package of five for $30. One is bad. The other four deliver about six shaves each. Cost per shave is $1.25. Can of common (not premium brand) cream/gel $4 and good for about 25 shaves. Cost per shave $0.16. Total cost per shave $1.41.

Bic Chrome-Platinum blades, pack of 100 for $20. Ten will have one edge bad and only give three shaves. The other 90 will each give six shaves. The cost per shave is $0.035. Cake of Gentleman's quarter soap $10 (shipped) good for 30 shaves for a cost per shave of $0.333. Total cost per shave is about $0.37.

DE shaving saves over a dollar per day, $375 per year. That will pay for hotel and ground expenses for three days in Atlanta.

Those figures speak for themselves! And, DE shaving generates less rubbish to throw out and pollute the place too.

No shave day today, but it's building up for the morning. TOBS Eton College I think....

Make the same calculations with Straight razors ;)

Ok, the razor itself can be pricy, the strop too. I spent a few hundred bucks to get a few different razors and a decent strop, that was summer of 2008. But in the last year or so, I bought absolutely nothing.

Yesterday night:
Hot shower, hot washcloth
Merkur 1904, CVS blades
CO Bigelow cream made by Proraso
Boar brush
2 passes, one with and one against
Freezing cold splash when done
Had a couple nicks so I had to do the nick-stick with some cold water (is hot or cold better?)
CVS extra mild, non comodegenic facial mousturizer
finished it off with some CK obsession

I feel like a real man.

here was the other day
i ll have ot get a better set up and better pic of the next shave
dsc07403sm.jpg

Friday-

Razor-Schick Super 2 Adjustable
Brush-Simpsons Polo 10
Cream-Noxzema Lather Shave Cream
ASB-QED Lime

-Tye

Old ajustable Gillette
Derby blade
VDH soap
Vdh brush
This is what I've been useing for the last 6 months or so ever since I got the Derbies. My cream I'll use is the Bigelow, great stuff, but I don't use it in the cold months at all.

Butcher-Block, really admire that shave bowl you show there, almost like some exotic sea-shell:thumbup:

Very shortly, it will be a new Bic Platinum in the Merkur, synthetic brush(real eye opener these,good as a mid price Badger) and Vulfix Sicilian Lime Cream. I'm still undecided about this Vulfix, it's more expensive than Taylor's and has a wonderful citrus smell,lathers well but doesn't cut the beard as efficiently.

Anybody else have experience of Vulfix creams??

Today's shave had two significant differences.

I followed my usual alcohol splash, once it boiled off, with a few precious drops of Aqua Velva* since it's Sunday.

The second, and perhaps more significant, change is a new... well, old, actually... razor sent to me by my friend Steve Garsson. It's a 60's vintage Gillette in very servicable condition. It's only the second DE razor I've ever used. Until now, DE for me began and ended with my beloved Merkur Futur. I decided to start in on this Gillette it with a Derby blade. This was my first Shave with it.

I achieved a very good shave with it. I'm pleased. It certainly is different, that's for sure. I not going to make any comparisons today because this morning's was only my first shave with it. I will want at least a dozen to start to say anything substantial about it or the differences... except to say that this was the quietest DE shave I've ever had by far.

So, I am excited to continue developing into this razor and broadening my DE experiences.

* One may say, "Chuck, Aqua Velva isn't exactly 'precious.' It's seventy cents an ounce at Target." But, Combe, the makers of Aqua Velva, are changing the bottle from the traditional glass to plastic. You're store's next shipment will come in plastic bottles. This is a shame for me because, A) whenever this sort of change happens, the manufacturer ends up reformulating the product to be chemically compatible with the plastic, and B) While not a raging environmentalist whacko, I prefer products in recyclable packaging. Yes, plastic is, in theory, recyclable, in most places there isn't yet effective plastic recycling available. So, my private stock of Aqua Velva in glass bottles, while considerable, is precious. One might wonder about the shelf life of aftershave. The key is to store it in a cool, dark place. So, a small corner of my wine cellar is now repurposed as an aftershave cellar.

Back