Shave of the day?

1960 Fat Boy
Feather blade
Shave Secret oil

That's it. One pass, two if I re-oil. It isn't my normal routine, but with one arm in a cast up to my elbow, it's working out somewhat. I'm getting razor burn again since I have to use my right hand to shave, and I am so left-handed it isn't funny. I may have to go back to those danged cartridges for a short while until I get the use of my left hand back...

1960 Fat Boy
Feather blade
Shave Secret oil

That's it. One pass, two if I re-oil. It isn't my normal routine, but with one arm in a cast up to my elbow, it's working out somewhat. I'm getting razor burn again since I have to use my right hand to shave, and I am so left-handed it isn't funny. I may have to go back to those danged cartridges for a short while until I get the use of my left hand back...

I am a sever lefty too, and when I had my elbow surgery I had to shave one handed with my right hand. It wasn't easy, but by the 4th shave it was working well for me. I had lateral epicondylitis release surgery and wasn't allowed to use even my fingers for 6 weeks till the tendons healed. Keep at it and you will be amazed at what you can teach your body to do. I was shaving with a Rocket Flare Tip at the time a pretty mild razor.

I recently got back into shaving with a straight. I picked up one at an antique store for my birthday and have been scratching the fur off my face with it for a while now.
I recently sent it to Unit so he could hone it and give it a little spa treatment. He sent it back to me and I am seriously impressed. He also sent me some samples of soap to try out.
With winter on it's way I have been letting my beard grow but I always shave my neck even with the beard. With the reconditioned razor and the wonderful soap a couple of swipes with no pressure left my neck smooth as I have ever felt. What a difference.
Now I just hope when I shave my beard that I don't accidentally lose an ear...
gogarten1.jpg

Last edited:
After getting used to long handled Merkur Progress and 180/23c razors went with my Y3 birth date 40's Superspeed today. Matched with a new Israeli red Personna blade and AOS Sandalwood cream got myself a four pass BBS shave. I have a tough beard and the SS is mild, so it took patience but with good results! :)

Nobody been shaving lately??? Don't tell there are more beards out there....unkempt old :barf:

Today: Feather as ever, I have not YET found a blade that suits me more, but I'm always wondering....

Merkur 34 .Plate is still flaking but its size works well.

Taylor of Old Bond St. 'Coconut'. This is a really good new scent and the lather is outstanding.

Omega silvertip.

Ice cold splash then L'Ocittane Baux after shave balm, really soothing gear.

OK over to you.:thumbup:

Shave supplies.jpg

Just got into straight razor shaving. 3rd time trying it out and finally managed a shave that is somewhat respectable! Let me know what you guys think of my starter kit!

Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso
Razor: Dovo Pearlex (Stainless)
SUPER Lather: SRD Lavender Soap & Kiss My Face (Fragrance Free)
Brush: Beauty Strokes H.I.S shaving brush ($35.00). Got a Beaufort Badger Brush with my Razor kit and it does not come CLOSE to the soft touch of the synthetic Beauty strokes!
After Shave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.

Last edited:
1959 Fat Boy, Wilkinson blade, AOS Sandalwood cream. TGN 22 X 50 Silver tip Badger brush.

I surreptitiously snagged one of those Zowadas that were on sale a bit back and have been lustfully enjoying all the shaves since! :D Used up an entire tube of Proraso and Tabac in the process but not to worry - found a vendor selling big Proraso "pillow bags" so the stash is good. Even got the kilo block of Cella soap but that I'd like to keep as is. Looks neat on display!

Technique-wise around the mouth is much more improved now especially the ATG pass. It used to be such a pain but much better now with more stretching and very decisive upward strokes. The heavier blade contributes to the ease, have not used the full hollows since so no comparison.

Also - Xander, thanks for the polish job on the kami! It looks so much better that way. I will get it into the rotation eventually. And keeping an eye out for more of your creations!

Ok, just checking in again all for now. Good night (here) and Good Morning where you are!

I finally got my hands on a Modified Merkur Progress, aka the Mergress yesterday. After taking it apart and cleaning and oiling the threads I gave it a 'test spin' and it's even better than my stock Progress is...there's a whole different feeling and the custom steel knob gives the razor better balance. I used another Israeli Red Personna for the blade and if you don't have one of these, you should seek one out...! Here's a few pics:

P1000329.jpg

P1000326.jpg

P1000328.jpg

Enjoy! :cool:

The typical for me the last month or so, NDC SuperSpeed, Parker Synthetic Brush, VDH Luxury Scented soap, Personna Lab (I've heard the sharpness of these tends to be less carefully regulated, my 100 count box all seem to be somewhat dullish). One change from my normal routine was the aftershave, I normally go with a home brew of witch hazel, extra alcohol, glycerine, and a dash of stetson. Today I picked up some Aqua Velva Classic (the blue stuff) whilst Christmas shopping to give a try, and I do belive I'm an Aquavelva man :p I thought I'd tried it sometime in the last 16 years or so I've been shaving, but after I splashed it on I realized I'd never smelled quite like that before.

Willgoy:

I follow Badger and Blade, there is a ton of experience on that site, and I don't think this shedding is common. A few years ago I bought a Rooney super badger for a good price and it shed during every use for months. After perhaps six months it suddenly stopped and it has been an excellent brush since. I think I got lucky, hopefully you will as well. Might be worth discussing with the party you purchased from as a silver tip is usually a fair investment.

As an aside, I haven't checked this part of the forum for some time as it used to be very slow. Good to see an active group has formed.

Thanks u2u. It appears to be shedding less now, it's in the rotation and only been used since July. I may take it up with the seller, but since he's in another EU country than mine and an e-Bayer (but good) I don't know if I can expect much...

Just now, a night time shave: Feather, Cella, Merkur Traveller ( a brilliant small break apart razor), Men-U synthetic brush (these work very well) Nivea aftershave balm. Well pleased!

Benchmade Griptillian sharpened at 11 degrees with a 13 degree micro bevel. Sharpened up to 6k grit on a king waterstone, then stropped with 1 micron cbn and .25 micron cbn. Whipped up some Dove Soap, and used some nivia aftershave lol.

Benchmade Griptillian sharpened at 11 degrees with a 13 degree micro bevel. Sharpened up to 6k grit on a king waterstone, then stropped with 1 micron cbn and .25 micron cbn. Whipped up some Dove Soap, and used some nivia aftershave lol.

That's one for the books - you REALLY shave with your Grip? If I might ask, what tool did you use to get the eleven degrees prior to the thirteen micro? Edge Pro or?

That's one for the books - you REALLY shave with your Grip? If I might ask, what tool did you use to get the eleven degrees prior to the thirteen micro? Edge Pro or?

I actually was dicking around with a gatco sharpener my dad had. I would normally freehand it but this was just for shits and giggles. I used a protractor to figure out the 13 degree micro bevel. I do freehand sharpening professionally. I also am the sharpening guru on reddit.com/r/knives lol.

I normally use a decent soap and my 106 year old Solingen Razor Co. razor. But I often shave with a pocket knife fresh from sharpening. Last month I also got a real nice shave from my Spyderco dragonfly, with the same edge geometry as my Benchmade. I cut my bevels fat haha.

Last edited:
I always use the ol rub alcohol works the best and an old type razor that takes the double edged razor blades leaves you smooth as a babys tookus

Rubbing alcohol is my aftershave. You have to remember, I have oily skin. Straight isopropyl alcohol -- or even a 70% solution there of -- is not for everyone. But it works fine for me.

Finally used some Master Bay Rum today after a so-so shave (another dullish blade from that 100 pack of Personna Labs). This is the new formulation with no glycerine, I haven't used the old formula but I really like this one. The ingredients are Water, Bay oil, SD alcohol 40, Yellow 5,6. That suggests to me that they've made up for the glycerine by upping the bay oil content, as I find it more moisturizing than Aqua Velva, and there's almost no burn even after a mediocre shave. Indeed I'd almost say the tapwater burned more than the aftershave does. Excellent scent, soft but strong and easy on my nose, I don't get any clove notes like some folks do with bay rums, more of a burnt orange scent.

Back