Shave of the day?

I will play!

Here is today's shave:
I use a cheap bowl, brush, and soap set from HEB. My stainless stand always holds my brush, and tonight will hold my Oxford square point razor. I keep my others razors in a rack next to my strop. I was feeling lazy, so I just did a quick two pass shave with no prep.

Last edited:
I have used my Gillette 5 blades for a few years now and love it but I wouldn't mind trying a safety razor. I have a fat face and neck, will that make it more difficult to use?

Prep - None
Soap - Fitjars Neroli
Brush - HARRYWALLY custom/Virginia Sheng synthetic knot
Razor - Wostie
Strop - Neil Miller 3 inch shell Cordovan leather/English linen
Post - Alum block
AS - Aqua Velva Musk

Cold water face lathered shave.

Bob

I have used my Gillette 5 blades for a few years now and love it but I wouldn't mind trying a safety razor. I have a fat face and neck, will that make it more difficult to use?

I don't think it would be more difficult to use. There is a learning curve to get over as the technique is a little different. Try starting off with one of the milder less aggressive DEs.

Bob

You just need to make sure you are keeping your skin tight and all will be well. Before you spend a bunch of money try to find a used razor or a friend that will loan you theirs and give it a try.

shaved with a 9/8 w&b celebrated, dr.dittmar lather honed on a 1k, 4k,8k to the apache dark. was a very fine dfs, no irritation no burn or sting using pinaud bay rum as, and will I hope lead to a good day at work.

Prep - None
Soap - Arko
Brush - Plisson synthetic
Razor - Genco Henrys X
Strop - Neil Miller 3 inch shell Cordovan leather/English linen
Post - Alum block
AS - Stetson

Cold water face lathered shave. I always look forward to an Arko shave. A good honest unpretentious soap.

Bob

man you guys make me wanna start shaving again, I haven't done more than knock the scruff back with a beard trimmer for over a year :rolleyes:

man you guys make me wanna start shaving again, I haven't done more than knock the scruff back with a beard trimmer for over a year :rolleyes:

Learning to shave with a straight razor plus learning to hone them took the mundane task of shaving and turned it into something I look forward too each morning. Come on in the water is fine.

Bob

You need to start and then contribute to our thread here!

I Shaved with my newest razor today, a vintage Sheffield near wedge with homemade scales. It gave a nice shave, even with my 2$ set up:)

Brookes & Crookes near wedge, some Arko soap and a nice custom handle with a muhle STF synthetic knot reset lower to a 54mm loft. Finished off with an alum block and Aqua Velva Musk. Arko is a low cost tallow based soap that works very well for me, I even like the heavy lemon scent. Would not bother me a bit if it was the only soap I could get.

Bob

You have some nice looking shaving gear! I love the handle on your brush :thumbup:

You have some nice looking shaving gear! I love the handle on your brush :thumbup:

Thank you. The fellow who made the brush for me did an excellent job putting it all together. It, a simpler smaller brother to it and and a strop are the only custom shaving gear I own. All my razors are vintage with the exception of one new production razor just to see what new was like. I'll stay with vintage, cheaper and shave just as well as new production. I really enjoy cleaning the old stuff up, honing them and putting them back in service.

Today's shave was with a Shumate razor, vintage Old Spice soap, cheap Omega boar brush and vintage Avon aftershave.

Bob

Bob, I find Arko delivers a fine and very effective lather but I'm one of those who just can't STAND its smell!! Don't know about lemon...more like urinal cake:eek::D

Whatever, it works really well. A similar inexpensive soap (with a scent I do like:D) that I rate highly is Mon Savon bol a raser from France, first rate worker and inexpensive (in France at least)

Thanks, Will.

Bob, I find Arko delivers a fine and very effective lather but I'm one of those who just can't STAND its smell!! Don't know about lemon...more like urinal cake:eek::D

Whatever, it works really well. A similar inexpensive soap (with a scent I do like:D) that I rate highly is Mon Savon bol a raser from France, first rate worker and inexpensive (in France at least)

Thanks, Will.

Thanks for the tip on Mon Savon bol a raser. Had to kook it up and seems to be the type of soap I like, tallow based. No importers this side of the pond so next time I am in France I'll be sure and pick up a few.

Another good cheapie and also tallow based is the Palmolive shave stick. Love these soaps as thy prove you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to a very good shave soap.

Bob

Let's try to bring this thread back.
Basic Gillette head on bulldog handle, Voskhod blade, Haslinger soap. Head clogs up more than my Fatip.

Attachments

• IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 3
Back