Shaving Soap

I used Dove soap for more years than I want to think about until I decided to try Harry's sample package. It came with a razor and a small gel. I didn't care much for the razor, but I really like the gel. I ordered more of it.

Don't forget the hard-water variable. I used DR Harris for a long time on city water, then moved to well water and found it significantly harder to lather.

Adding a dollop of Kiss My Face will make any soap lather better; it was hard for me to find in Canada but now that I'm stateside I see it everywhere.

Tabac is another well-regarded soap that is cheap and easy to get in some regions but not others. (Never seen it myself, and I have plenty of other soaps to try...)
The only soap I've ordered sight-unseen without sampling is ToOBS, and it lived up to the reputation; I wish I could go someplace and smell them all, but I haven't been disappointed by what I've got. It's ridiculously cheap on Amazon now compared to what it used to be, not sure how the cost-per-shave works out.

After 15 years of wet shaving, I haven't found any dramatic changes in performance--even the oft-denigrated Williams Mug Soap works for me once I develop a routine to get some lather. (adding KMF or glycerin depending on hardness of water etc.) So I'd say if you're going for dollar-per-shave you're best off picking up something like a bulk Arko or Palmolive order (should be ridiculously cheap) and figuring out how to get the shave you want with it.

What I have noticed is that I don't buy EDTs/cologne anymore; I usually have some product or other around (either soap or aftershave) that has a nice scent. That's the real value in shave soap for me; I get to try a new scent every time I run out of something.

I'm currently writing a shaving product round-up for a big consumer-reviews site, I'll post a link if I come up with anything interesting re: concentration/longevity of the product I test. (Not testing any pucks, but I sneaked in some popular wetshaving creams.)

I would suggest spending the $15 for soap. For a bunch of great scents that perform (cushion and slickness) and moisturize well take a look at Soap Commander. I'm in no way affiliated with them but the customer service is out of this world and you can order samples to test scents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So would I. Not only that but the soap will last a lot longer than you'll expect it to. My personal favourite soaps are the hard soaps from Trumper. Amazing scents and great shaves.

Back