Sheath advice needed.

I've just finished a frame handle bowie and need a bit of help with a sheath for it.

Ideally I think one with a throat and chape similar to the one below would suit the knife but unfortunately this is way beyond my skills!

jn4lm0sl.jpg

I've been looking at various types and figure one similar to this style would best suit the knife.

qPKWlbal.jpg

Now for a stupid question...do these type of sheaths (I don't even know the correct name for them!)generally have a belt loop of any kind on the back, or are they designed solely so the stud holds it either through the belt?

I know ultimately it's down to personal choice, but I want to make a sheath which is 'correct' for the knife if that makes sense.

This is the knife in question...

QqebBIUl.jpg

Any thoughts/ideas/pictures for inspiration greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ian.

100_3468 (1).jpg Lisch.jpg That Pinkerton sheath you posted was one of mine and it was a straight sash sheath with no belt loop to be more period correct regarding style. You can include an inserted flat belt loop as shown in the photo and still appear to be period or style correct and function as a normal sash sheath since that flat loop takes up no room under the sash or belt..

Last edited:
I didn't even know this style was called a sash sheath. The flat belt loop makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for your help...it's very much appreciated.

Just need to watch 'Advanced Blade Sheaths' again before my leather arrives. :):thumbsup:

Many thanks,

Ian.

Back