Sheath Scratching Bolster

I got a new 112 Auto today and noticed after a few uses that the sheath button is scratching the front bolster pretty deep. The back of the button feels smooth but I'm guessing the edge of the button is catching the bolster? I don't know, I cant tell by feeling it. I'd add it's not a standard 112 sheath (this is my first auto), much more low profile so the knife fits very snug. Any thoughts short of sending the knife in for removing the scratches? I'll have to stop using the sheath all together I'm afraid and maybe have one made but I'd like to try and buff these out a bit.
VH0l4rS.jpg

Because the extra layer of leather in the front of the sheath keeps the Auto button from being accidentally pushed. You might feel inside and see if you can feel anything that would cause scratches. Personally I won't make a sheath for one of the Auto 110s or 112s.

It is definitely the button on the back of the snap. It feels smooth but it is not recessed, it's a dome shape, lines right up with the scratches when I put it in upon further investigation. I'd try to live with it but the scratches are deep enough to feel with my finger. I'm thinking of just returning it at this point. Kills me too because it has such perfect action, centering, everything.

some do and some dont. in autos. I have a hand full of 110 autos. one sheath scratches just like that. the sheaths all look and feel similar. think it's the tightness of entrance of the one sheath forces the bolster into it more than the others do.

The snap back should be under the double layer of material.if you want send me the sheath and I'll install the snap behind so it won't touch the knife at all.

The snap back should be under the double layer of material.if you want send me the sheath and I'll install the snap behind so it won't touch the knife at all.
I appreciate that. I may do that if I don't wind up returning it tomorrow. I'm not sure if I want to keep the knife or not. I don't mind some dings and scratches from my own use but these are a little deep and I consider it a defect so I may return it. I'm still on the fence.

those scratches do appear like
a metal on metal contact.
guessing the back portion
of the snap button is uneven
and probably raised around
which leaves the edges jaggered.
not a quick fix, but in the old days
some snap buttons on leather sheaths
or products had circular disc shaped felt
pads to prevent these areas of the buttons
from creating possible harm or damage
as the result of direct surface contact.
200pcs-lot-White-and-black-Round-Felt-Fabric-Pads-Accessory-Patches-Circle-Felt-Pad-flower-accessory.jpg

the problem with these pads were the
longivity of the adhesives. anyone affixing,
i would suggest applying contact glue.
the permanant solution of a "bad" button
is complete removal and replacement
of the offending fixture.
the trouble with that is procuring
a matching color and correct button size
along with the button installation kit...
when buying buttons look for brass.
anything which sticks to a magnet
can rust over time.
future diy fixing or replacing snap
buttons is easy once you have this.
you should be able to find what you
need in some hardware stores, or
leathercraft stores, sewing arts & craft
hobby suppliers of accessories .

Last edited:
I got a new 112 Auto today and noticed after a few uses that the sheath button is scratching the front bolster pretty deep. The back of the button feels smooth but I'm guessing the edge of the button is catching the bolster? I don't know, I cant tell by feeling it. I'd add it's not a standard 112 sheath (this is my first auto), much more low profile so the knife fits very snug. Any thoughts short of sending the knife in for removing the scratches? I'll have to stop using the sheath all together I'm afraid and maybe have one made but I'd like to try and buff these out a bit.
VH0l4rS.jpg
You really put this on Instagram and on BF without talking to Buck first and letting them fix this? Buck has a strong history of making things right but you should get with them first before posting pics and dis satisfaction. I've never seen those scratches on an auto before anywhere. I've offered to fix it but it doesn't seem to want to do that.

I think it's fair to get with the manufacturer first.

Because the extra layer of leather in the front of the sheath keeps the Auto button from being accidentally pushed. You might feel inside and see if you can feel anything that would cause scratches. Personally I won't make a sheath for one of the Auto 110s or 112s.

Just curious Mike...why? It's a travesty to not allow us auto users to have one of your nice sheaths. :)

I carry my 110 auto in a non Buck open top sheath everyday. It has no extra button protection and the knife has never deployed.

You really put this on Instagram and on BF without talking to Buck first and letting them fix this? Buck has a strong history of making things right but you should get with them first before posting pics and dis satisfaction. I've never seen those scratches on an auto before anywhere. I've offered to fix it but it doesn't seem to want to do that.

You're right, I suppose I was venting but it wasn't fair so I've removed it. I'm not entirely sure if Buck can help me on this one. I'm staying in Arizona for a couple weeks where i bought this but live in Washington where autos are banned. So, not sure how that works but my guess is that it doesn't.

I was just venting my disappointment not trying to disparage Buck but you're right, it wasn't fair so I've removed it. I'm not entirely sure if Buck can help me on this one. I'm staying in Arizona for a couple weeks where I bought this but live in Washington where autos are banned. So, not sure how that works but my guess is that it doesn't. Partially my fault for skirting the law.

Thank you
those scratches do appear like
a metal on metal contact.
guessing the back portion
of the snap button is uneven
and probably raised around
which leaves the edges jaggered.
not a quick fix, but in the old days
some snap buttons on leather sheaths
or products had circular disc shaped felt
pads to prevent these areas of the buttons
from creating possible harm or damage
as the result of direct surface contact.
200pcs-lot-White-and-black-Round-Felt-Fabric-Pads-Accessory-Patches-Circle-Felt-Pad-flower-accessory.jpg

the problem with these pads were the
longivity of the adhesives. anyone affixing,
i would suggest applying contact glue.
the permanant solution of a "bad" button
is complete removal and replacement
of the offending fixture.
the trouble with that is procuring
a matching color and correct button size
along with the button installation kit...
when buying buttons look for brass.
anything which sticks to a magnet
can rust over time.
future diy fixing or replacing snap
buttons is easy once you have this.
you should be able to find what you
need in some hardware stores, or
leathercraft stores, sewing arts & craft
hobby suppliers of accessories .
Thank you for that!

Contact Buck and see if they will replace just the sheath. Then the scratching will end and after 5-10 years of use you won't notice it. Buck is very accommodating.

Word of warning on autos. They need repair sometimes so don't buy them if you cannot ship them back.

Contact Buck and see if they will replace just the sheath. Then the scratching will end and after 5-10 years of use you won't notice it. Buck is very accommodating.

Word of warning on autos. They need repair sometimes so don't buy them if you cannot ship them back.
Yeah, I know. When I saw a 112 Auto in a place where I could buy one I just couldn't help myself though. Total impulse buy. The ban had come close to repeal thanks to Knife Rights last year so I'm really hoping they push it through next session. Until then I have to admire this from the confines of private property.

Just curious Mike...why? It's a travesty to not allow us auto users to have one of your nice sheaths. :)

I carry my 110 auto in a non Buck open top sheath everyday. It has no extra button protection and the knife has never deployed.
I haven't tried to build one to be honest. I figured Buck must know something by the design of the sheath. I wouldnt be against a slip sheath along the lines of a Timber and Hitch style that isn't on a belt loop.

You can’t carry it anyway. Stop putting it in and out of the sheath. Polish out the scratches. Enjoy it.

By all means return the sheath to Buck for a replacement.

I don’t understand the special sheath thing to begin with. Mine didn’t come with direction on what orientation to put the knife into the sheath. A lefty would use it differently than a righty. Yet somehow that little piece of leather is protecting us? IDK.

But like Makael Makael said. Buck did it for a reason.

Even if legal I’m not going to carry an automatic that doesn’t have a lock on the button.

Well, 1.5 years of almost everyday carry and never a problem. It's about 6-7oz and I don't think you could make it deploy w/o trying real hard.

IMG_1397.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, I tossed the sheath aside as soon as I discovered it. As for polishing out the scratches, they're a little deeper than what I've dealt with before, not sure how to approach it quite yet. I may just return it. It was an impulse buy after all and as mentioned, not legal to carry where I live.

Back