Sheaths and Such in Action

Here's some kydex I whipped up for my Gossman Big Boar Tusker
5EEE794D-B72B-4109-A902-1623190895A5.jpg

IMGP0007.jpg

Just as a reminder to folks wearing neck knives. Any neck knife support "cordage", be it string, twine, paracord, leather, whatever, the neck cord should have a break-away fitting of some type in the event of a tangled cord. Without said break-away fitting, the wearer could be choked and/or garroted by it in certain "snag" situations.

There are magnetic fixtures and "ball-chain" necklaces available, to list a couple.

With the magnetic coupling, you just attach one to each end of the cord. With paracord, simply remove the core and replace it with the break-away ball-chain style.

Wayne
active (and accident prevention paranoid) EMT since 1990.

Does me heart good to see custom sheathwork getting used as it was intended. I cant remember who, but a sheath maker once said that custom sheaths just dont get used. That really got to me and for a long time I was a little disillusioned, no actually a lot.

Its very good to see that is just not the case. :D

A lot of the sheaths I've been making lately have been for user type knives. Passing on the tooling option,looking for durability. Also been doing a lot of cross draws lately.
John

Leatherwork that is actually used constantly is a delight , and an interesting subject .

My own experience is this .

I have never sold a sheath , so they are just gifted to friends and family .
Most of my friends and family that have received a sheath are not knife enthusiasts , they use knives in their daily lives , but probably only own a couple of knives and those are only replaced when they break or get lost .
I would guess 90% of these people use and carry my leatherwork constantly , the sheaths go with the knife and the knife goes with them to work everyday .
I have also given a few sheaths to members on the forums , these people are knife enthusiasts and have drawers full of options to choose from , I suspect those sheaths rarely see the light of day . I'm in no way upset or annoyed at that fact , it's just the truth and I understand knife enthusiasm all to well .
" normal " knife people use their one or two sheaths until the sheath dies , " enthusiasts " will have drawers full of pristine sheaths when they die :)

Ken

I like that.
Thanks! I shamelessly copied the excellent work of River-8 in making that one

Does me heart good to see custom sheathwork getting used as it was intended. I cant remember who, but a sheath maker once said that custom sheaths just dont get used. That really got to me and for a long time I was a little disillusioned, no actually a lot.

Its very good to see that is just not the case. :D
I think a lot of that has to do with the cost associated with custome knives and custom sheaths. I know the big name Leather guys sheaths are out of my price range.

I always liked the sheaths Ed Fowler makes for his knives, simple leather. I think of them as a "tool" sheath.

Good to see some kydex showing up here! Excellent work. Yeah stuff is to be used. I like seeing life on my work.

I was just sitting having Smoko and I was using my Leatherman Surge to open can .
It dawned on me that the leather item I have carried more than anything else over the last 7 years is the cheap sheath I bought for it from a local rural supply shop .
I don't remember what I paid , but it wasn't much and I didn't have high expectations , but it has never let me down and it has performed it's job brilliantly .
It is the reason why I've never bothered making my own .

" if it ain't broke , don't fix it "

Ken

Thats a cool sheath Ken. Are the dual snaps needed or just for cool factor?

I have posted this before ... a very handy way to carry a smaller folder - in this case an Old Timer 123 ... doesn't get in the way especially when sitting in the truck.
Left hip carry for right hand drawing.

And a new one underway for the GEC 72/73 pattern ...

Derek

Thats really cool Brumby! Good to see ya around. That awl has seen some use. I use to have an old one like that. It was my favorite. Don't even know what happen to it.

Leggings at a branding in Florida.

hjmMN5l.jpg

Here is an old one. Made these shotguns for myself and wore em till they wore out. Here I was doing a Horsemanship clinic for kids. One of the things that kids tend to have problems with is bridling their horses. Tend to get impatient and cram it in there banging teeth and such and pretty soon the horse starts lifting his head higher than the kid can reach out of self preservation. One of the things I use to do at all my kids clinics was have the kids bridle the horse from their knees before they could get onto ride. This gal needed a little extra help.

rL0DPjo.jpg

The logo looks like the Fresno State Bulldog. My alma mater.

Just finished my pistol sheath. Going to the range today. Wearing all my gear under my aloha shirt, utilizing all my homemade matching sheaths for the first time. The 44 is a little heavy. Probably won't be edc-ing it but I can stand it every once in a while, camping and stuff. Of course I got the Barkie and it's always with me.
fdb2f8a147f2ad48a725232fc58809d1.jpg
ce61f0b141518c07dde5e77140629136.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BKAoehh.jpg

One of our full flower carved sheaths at a branding last weekend. Made the knife too, however not the belt.

nNWybIa.jpg

Basket stamped spur straps at same branding. Copper buckles and conchos.

yB2r5Eo.jpg

Horsewright chinks with some life on em.

Back