Sheaths + Pouches on everything? What's your opinion?

Hey you guys! :]

I mean, I honestly like for all of my more traditional folders to have the added protection:

20181114-215029-20181114215141949.jpg

But what about newer style blades? What's your opinion, and how do you store your knives in general?

I'm actually really curious about this, and about how I should store these types of things:

20181114-215305-20181114215542617.jpg

Let's chat! ^_^

Sincerely,
~ Sparkly ♡

PS: Also if you would like to private DM me instead - I have really truly been enjoying making new friends over direct message lately!! ^___^ ♡♡♡ Thank you to all you cool awesome super neat-o BFFs who have reached out to me to say hello!! :) Yaaaaay okay done with the blabber sesh now :]

6F74D2E6-4954-4E75-AB0B-2434C5B34249.jpeg I find that Titanium handles, raw and anodized, hold up pretty well without a sheath/pouch. The SAK Money Clip in the picture rides in the fold of the bills.

Nah, not for moderns, but then I don't have many. I do like carrying my SAK Trekker in an open ended horizontal sheath meant for a Buck 110, though.

Opinels usually go in my back jeans pocket alongside a folded bandana. Or in a jacket pocket when it's cold out. I'm looking forward to trying out the slip on the N°7.

But MOST often, knives and multi tools go in the thigh pockets of my carpenter's jeans, pocket slip or no.

Zieg

Last edited:
I store in a tool box on wheels and made it into a habit of keeping it locked every time I step away from it so the baby doesn't get into it at some point.
She's seems pretty safe though. Its funny when we are out somewhere shes like "daddy cut it! Cut it" pretty loudly. Lol
I don't mind for knives to get banged up otherwise through normal use and carry, but I won't throw it together with keys. If it's clipped and size allows I will throw keys in same pocket. Clip comes in handy this way and knives that let you use your pockets and don't obstruct the hand are a plus also.

If it has a good pocket clip, then no. If it's not clipped, such as a traditional slip joint, then yes, because I consider it less likely to fall out of a pocket without me knowing.

Just be aware that long term storage in a leather sheath can cause corrosion, particularly with carbon steel knives. While I carry my folding knives in a sheath, storage is in cardboard boxes in a tool box drawer

I'm totally spoiled for pocket clips, and find that I just don't carry a knife much unless it has one. The exceptions are my Buck 112 Ecolite that I carry horizontal in a Buck nylon sheath, and SAKs that dangle inside a pocket from a lanyard around my belt.

Storage wise, my knives go in a plastic bin in a drawer and in a cardboard box. I'm in a very dry climate, and I don't worry much about them getting scuffed up.

1. General rule. Every knife gets a pouch or sheath. The exceptions are the SAK that are for key chains and the Spyderco Endura or Police that i actually carry every day in the shorts. Reason(s). I don't know whether a reserve knife will ever be carried or where it will be carried in/on a pocket or on clothing or on a pack. I want some protection for the unit in storage.
2. Folders like Benchmades/Kershaw 1840s/Al Mars/Spydercos/Emersons get Benchmade bidirectional sheaths. The rest get whatever I want to obtain - no name leather belt units/cordura.
3. Yes I am aware that leather is potentially a rust receptacle. Never had that problem with folders. Fixed blades are rarely stored in leather.

I've been building an accumulation of knives and axes this year. I had not really thought about sheaths or pouches for them until I had a few new Opinels and slipjoints. If it doesn't have a clip, it needs a sheath or a slip.
Earlier in the year I had purchased a decent sized piece of leather for making axe sheaths from, but never got around to doing anything with it. Did some reading around here and decided to try it out myself. I have made two two so far. They probably won't win any awards, but I am pleased with the results and I am making progress. One for my vintage Opinel No. 7 and a slip for Aitor Pequeya. Both are wet formed to the knife and have great retention and a nice little snap to them.
IMG-5377.jpg

I made a few leather pocket slips for my traditionals, which wasn't too difficult and they didn't turn out too bad, if I say so myself. I made them with the smooth side in, rough side out so they would stay in dress pants better.

I also put my i3t in an extra one to keep it from rattling around with all the other junk in my pocket.

Nice thread.
I like lanyard holes on my knives because they allow me to carry the knife vertically in my pocket. I run the lanyard to a clip on a key strap on my belt. Most of my folders come with lanyard holes, but I added one to the Spydie Chaparral below.I
I am generally not a fan of most pocket clips. To me they can interfere with a knife's smoothness and clean feel in the hand.

full

full

Back