Sheepdog opinions

Heirphoto

Gold Member
Really thinking about a Sheepdog as my next Emerson. Just wanted opinions from other owners as to likes and dislikes on the various versions.

I like the look of the bowie blade and think the fine tip could be handy but the spear does look more sturdy all around.

How about G10 vs. Micarta? Like the micarta look but they seem really fuzzy around the edges. Has this been an issue for anyone?

Is the detent an issue on these? I see some reviewers mention it.

A Commander is also on the want list but really want to try an Emerson flipper first.

I have both of Sheepdogs.
But my Bowie with G10, and Spearpoint with micarta.
You can find micarta wariant on Ebay by NatonalKnivesdotcom seller.
I like micarta variant- its more friendly for the pants pokets )))))
But bowie blade type are great!
DSC_a0198.jpg DSC_a0200.jpg

Nice bearings in those. Metal cages and all. Starting to lean towards the G10 as it just looks more Emerson than the micarta does. Real toss up between the spear and bowie though. Satin plain edge for sure.

Flipping action is excellent (large bearings/heavy blade), I wouldn't bother paying the extra $ for the micarta/S35VN unless you want the handle color/material. Remember the "upgraded" steel is pretty much irrelevant since Emerson believes in a comically soft hardness (like 57) even in S35VN, grind is also extremely thick BTE and cuts terribly in detail work, better for more obtuse needs.

If you want a better cutting knife/edge retention look at the Kershaw CQC-11K, it is similar size and weight and has significantly better geometry and similar edge retention.

Thanks John. I would not be buying the limited for the steel as I am fine with the 154. Good to know about the softer heat treat. The micarta does appeal but as I mentioned earlier it does not seem as Emerson like to me as black G10 does. I always like a good slicer but this will be doing nothing more than every day tasks like opening boxes, cutting cardboard, string, scrap leather, etc....in my shop. I am an true Emerson fan so the Kershaw version would just not be the same for me. I do appreciate the input and perspective.

I had bad luck with 3 consecutive CQC8's, and then bought a sheepdog.

The action was superb, detent and all. Fit and finish was great, lockup was great. The bowie blade was nice.

I sold it though, because I didn't like the edge geometry and the cost for what it was. Also could have done without the thumb disk, considering that it already has a flipper tab and a wave.

But, it had the best craftsmanship of all the emersons ive handled.

The micarta does appeal but as I mentioned earlier it does not seem as Emerson like to me as black G10 does.
In some ways micarta is about as Emerson as it gets, considering Ernie's customs. If any production patterns I like came with micarta I would be all over them. The abrasive G10 is the reason I do not carry a production knife generally (most days I carry a Po'Boy 7).

In some ways micarta is about as Emerson as it gets, considering Ernie's customs. If any production patterns I like came with micarta I would be all over them. The abrasive G10 is the reason I do not carry a production knife generally (most days I carry a Po'Boy 7).

True about Ernie and his micarta but I sort of meant the production Emersons most of us mortals could actually get our hands on. I equate the common man's Emerson with black G10 but would love to have a real Emerson CQC6 in green micarta.

Bingo ! Sweet action, good detent on mine, perfect centering and lockup. Now I need a Bowie :)

IMG_8945 (2).JPG

Congratulations!
Bowie in micarta have olive green scales.
I think the latest version of the limited Bowie has brown micarta scales and polished hardware, the green micarta is on the current spearpoint and with black hardware. They did both with black coated blades as well but they have sold out.

I think the latest version of the limited Bowie has brown micarta scales and polished hardware, the green micarta is on the current spearpoint and with black hardware. They did both with black coated blades as well but they have sold out.

I'm pretty sure the Bowie has always had brown micarta and the spearpoint always had green micarta. I was torn between the two, because I love Bowie blades and my favorite color is green, but I eventually went with the Bowie. Congrats on your purchase, it's a great knife!

bsf5JHo.jpg

That was my dilemma as well. I really thought I wanted a Bowie but like green more than brown and liked the black hardware with it so went with the spear. It does have a good enough tip for most EDC tasks so a good choice in the end. Once I work with it a while I may go for the Bowie as well. It does really carry large in the pocket though since I have only ever owned either the CQC7 or the A100 models, or Minis like the CQC15 or Roadhouse. This has a lot of width between the flipper tab and the finger choil.

Back