Sheepfoot experiment.

Those Kleins are cool looking knives. I was actually looking at them on Ebay last night due to this thread. Love the bail and the blade shape reminds of a whale......in a good way. :)

Always liked this type of 15 and it comes in natural materials such as bone & wood but this glow delrin is tough stuff :cool:

kpkhMow.jpg

Lambfoot and a Sheepfoot : Are my favorite every day usage knives .

Used to think that a Drop Point was the best and then it was the Clip and now I am sure that it is a straight blade , but not a Wharncliffe . They are not the prettiest but they get the jobs done .

Harry

I've always liked a wharncliff/sheepsfoot straight edged type of blade, stays with the cut better than a rounded portion, especially on hard cutting chores such as plastic, ask my left index finger how it feels about that ;)

This Robeson has a really nice wide and very thin cutting blade for it's coping blade, the sharp spine of the sheepsfoot clan...

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I can say that when carrying a stockman the sheepsfoot probably gets used the most. As a kid growing up in rural Wisconsin I always worked on farms and the sheepsfoot of my Old Timer 34OT probably cut the twine on more hay bales then I care to remember. One reason is because they were always easy to pinch open. Another reason the sheepsfoot gets used, the rounded curve of the blade makes it slide under stuff without getting caught before I draw it back to cut something. I’ve used it to scrape gaskets off of things because of how flat it is. (I know, not what a knife is supposed to be used for but it’s all I had). It opens almost every box I come across, as others have said, because it works like a utility blade and I can control the depth and pressure easier then the clip blade for some reason. I don’t own a knife that has just a sheep or lambs foot blade as it’s only blade because I prefer multi-blade knives. But I could definately see it as the way to go as a real working knife.

View attachment 1101606 Someone say Klein?:D although when I looked it up Klein refers to this as a coping blade. This knife isn't very large, I'm not home so I don't have it to measure. But it is quite stout.
Edit: I used Google-fu and its a 2-1/4 inch blade

I too would call that a Coping blade David. The angle of the blade is severe, almost at a 90º cut. That style of blade is a very useful whittling blade. Nice knife by the way. Utica makes some fine knives for Klein.

Here are a couple of Rough Rider sheepfoot alongside some Case sheepfoot. knarfeng knarfeng has the black one (Coal Miner) and I believe he is quite happy with it.

j1iewsM.jpg
The Case
The Case 6217 Curved Jack/Half Hawk/Loom Fixer is a very stout knife and I like carrying one around the place for heavy work. Heck, it even made a great gasket scraper when I was rebuilding a riding mower engine.

Iubf0IZ.jpg
It's true that I'm an avid admirer of the "loom fixer" pattern.
"Loom Fixer" pretty much equates to "Factory Mechanic" in my mind, and you can see how the combination of a stout sheepsfoot and a long pen blade would allow someone to do almost any necessary cutting in a factory setting. The heavy sheepsfoot for heavy cutting and the long pen blade that allows for getting the cutting edge into tight spaces. Great combination.

The folks who own the Rough Rider brand did a great job at bringing this excellent pattern back to life in the form of their "Half Hawk". (They have a long familial connection to Case. So it's not to be totally wondered at that they knew of this old Case pattern.)

Thanks to J jackknife for the thread. Years ago when I would post about my love for the sheepsfoot blade, I'd get "you must cut a lot of rope, because that's all it's good for" responses. So nice to have so many share my fondness for it. Carl's analysis of its usefulness for making cuts requiring pushing on the point matches my own. The only shortcoming of a sheepsfoot blade is that you wouldn't want to use it for skinning an animal because obviously it has no belly. It would pierce things that you want to leave intact.

It's not hard to tell what my favorite kind of blade is...

Good to see that Yello Jaket . How's the quality? I have one Yello Jaket as a small lockback, right from the very end of things and the F&F is a bit crude.

Good to see that Yello Jaket . How's the quality? I have one Yello Jaket as a small lockback, right from the very end of things and the F&F is a bit crude.
I really like the little Yello Jacket Half Congress. It's very well put together, no gaps, no blade rub. I wish the 'snap' was a bit stronger, but it certainly isn't lacking. Perfect little watch pocket knife.

Back