Sheeple knife

Hi, i am looking into buying a true sheeple knife. i need a knife that i can lend out when someone needs a knife that is sheeple friendly. Because i am lending it out i need a knife that is sturdy, with no pocket clip, no lock. I wan't to carry it loose in my pocket and not overly expensive. I need it because i carry a ZT200 or Military as my primary knife and i don't want to wip it out and scare the sheeple. Any suggestion?

Check out the Victorinox Pioneer. Nobody is scared of a SAK and honestly, this is a great knife! I've got one on the way to supplement my ZT 0562CF.

OK, just not familiar with the term sheeple (folks that think knives are evil). I carry a SAK Tinker and a A/O in my pocket. Fortunately live in an area where folks don't thing anything about carrying knives; most guys (and some women) carry some sort.
Rich

Since you are already carrying a dedicated knife, why not carry a very small pocket tool?

The Victorinox classic and the Leatherman micra both pass the sheeple test with flying colors. They are not knives, they are tool. And in truth it's nice to have a screw driver or two on hand, as well as scissors, file, tweezers. Women love them, and its nice to be able to pop open a cold brewski on demand. And in truth, the small knife blades will open any UPS/FEDEX package, mail, plastic blister packages, as well as cutting string/rope.

15942467949_e227b2eeae_c.jpg

16035547615_ac1aaaf644_c.jpg

Yep - Swiss Army Knife all the way. They always look friendly and ready to help, not harm.

Case Peanut doesn't seem to scare too many sheep either.

Eric

Why no lock blade? My experience is that inexperienced people are more likely to hirt themselves with a slip joint because they aren't used to folders. There are lots of people friendly lockers that would fit the bill. Maybe a smaller Opinel?

thanks for the replies, the victorinox classic looks great. Sheeple refers to people/sheep who are unaware of any danger and look at knives etc as weapons instead of tools. Because i have a new job in an office enviroment i need to be carefull not to scare my new collegues. The micra is already on my keychain but i don't want to hand them my keys as well.

I just got this for my sister. So far, everyone that's played with it loves it. "It's so cute!"

17175511772_781571bdf8_z.jpg

It's the Squeak. Has a pocket clip, but would be fine without it. It's actually got enough handle to get a good purchase on it, too.

Spyderco Dice or Techno.

One of a vast array of Kershaws with a sub 3'' blade.

Microtech Mini-UDT or UTX 70.

Emerson Mini A-100.

Here's a pic of the Pioneer. The alox handles feel awesome. It's got everything you need and nothing you don't!

SAK%20Pioneer.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks for the replies, the victorinox classic looks great. Sheeple refers to people/sheep who are unaware of any danger and look at knives etc as weapons instead of tools. Because i have a new job in an office enviroment i need to be carefull not to scare my new collegues. The micra is already on my keychain but i don't want to hand them my keys as well.

Jim,

A buddy at work recommended to me to move my Micra off of my key ring and into my LFP, opposite of my EDC knife in my RFP. He told me that I would use the Micra more if it was separated from the cumbersome keys and that I wouldn't notice it in my pocket. I shrugged him. Nice guy and all, but I wasn't going to carry 2 knives in my pocket.

Later that very month, I was at a wedding holding a nice cold beer bottle with no bottle opener to be found and my nice (didn't want to scratch it) but useless for this Buck 500 in my pocket (my dress knife). The Micra was attached to my keys and my keys were in my coat pocket and my coat was in the house.

I went to the house, found my coat, dug out my keys, took the Micra off the ring, opened the beer and put the Mirca in my LFP where it has ridden ever since.

This entirely solves my "can I borrow your knife" problem. Also solves my "I need to coon finger a knife but don't want to pull out my big knfe" problem. Common in business meetings.

The Spyderco Roadie also seems to fit the bill as a sheeple knife. It does have a thick blade but this might be benificial as a loaner knife, because the blade won't snap off as easy.(people do the wildest things with knives)

Hi, i am looking into buying a true sheeple knife. i need a knife that i can lend out when someone needs a knife that is sheeple friendly. Because i am lending it out i need a knife that is sturdy, with no pocket clip, no lock. I wan't to carry it loose in my pocket and not overly expensive. I need it because i carry a ZT200 or Military as my primary knife and i don't want to wip it out and scare the sheeple. Any suggestion?

Pardon me,but you did say "lend out".

I don't believe in lending ANY of my knifes out as I stopped carrying Chinese crap a while ago.

AND 'sheeple' friendly knife is what I use in public,a simple slip joint with a smaller blade [ about 2" and no more ].

AWESOME THREAD!

The SAK/Victorinox solution is the best IMO because of the unmistakable red scales and cross-in-the-shield logo. Everyone knows it as well as they do the McDonald's arches. IOW, iconic. But most of all, innocuous. And we're still in a generation whose grandfathers, at least, carried a little knife of some sort, and it likely looked something like you're wanting.

So if you go with SAK, and you should, go with the red scales. Also, go a bit larger than a Classic as you'll want the extra tools like bottle opener and awl and maybe even saw. Scissors are a great way to go for so many tasks. Urbanites otherwise put off by knives will be comfortable with them. And nothing screams, "Not a weapon!" like scissors on a pocketknife. :).

Oh, and a lock is OK, as people keep saying, but most of your "sheeple" will try, fumble, slip, drop it, or otherwise fail at closing the blade when handing it back to you. If you have to step away while they're using it and they finish their task while you're away, you are likely to come back to a knife sitting open or stuck blade first into some object because they couldn't understand the mechanism. You're right to go slipjoint.

Zieg

Last edited:
The smaller SAK is gonna work, but you could also carry an Opinel No. 2 or 4. A lock that is extremely simple to use, the new user may even be a bit intrigued by this classy and simple knife. It is "imported from France ", so it's uniqueness to the non knife person may be an opportunity to start a discussion and give you a chance to "evangelize to the unbeliever".

The Sak is a good idea, or maybe a Case-something in a slip joint. The SAK would fill more uses than just the blade though. In any case I would not make a habit of lending it to people past arms length unless you know them to be extremely reliable in returning things. Otherwise instead of buying a Case you may need a case of knives. Some people are very poor at returning stuff and very good at loosing it(just a word of caution)

Another vote for the SAK classic or the Leatherman Micra. :thumbup:
I think they are two of the least likely knives to raise an eyebrow, and not terribly expensive if the worst happens and are lost.

Back