Sheep's foot is technically reverse drop point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is too nerdy but a pure drop point is design wise the opposite of a sheep's foot with the sharp edge on the same side in both.

By pure I mean no swedges, no tapering, parallel edge and spine etc.

Agree or not?

I am disagreeing with folks about what a drop point is, the word is being abused. Pretty much various people call anything a drop point.

Sorry if this is too nerdy but a pure drop point is design wise the opposite of a sheep's foot with the sharp edge on the same side in both.

By pure I mean no swedges, no tapering, parallel edge and spine etc.

Agree or not?

Absolutely not.
If you flipped a sheep's foot over you'd have a straight spine with no dropped point, a sheep's foot has to have a straight edge to be a sheep's foot blade.
As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a " modified sheep's foot ", curved edge equals not a sheep's foot.

To me the drop point is how the belly changes direction to meet the spine.

You seem to be implying the spine changes direction to meet the edge...Not valid.

So what is your idea of a drop point? Examples? You say you disagree with people on what a drop point is, but so far it looks like you're on the wrong side of that disagreement.

To me the drop point is how the belly changes direction to meet the spine.

You seem to be implying the spine changes direction to meet the edge...Not valid.

The reason a drop point is called a drop point is because the spine drops down towards the tip to meet the edge.

HeaderB.jpg

A true sheeps foot has a straight edge so flipped over it would not “drop” to the point.

The reason a drop point is called a drop point is because the spine drops down towards the tip to meet the edge.

HeaderB.jpg

A true sheeps foot has a straight edge so flipped over it would not “drop” to the point.
if one flipped a sheepsfoot over as op is saying what would we call that? sodbuster?:)

In the past, when someone is looking for a Wharncliffe bladed folding knife, I have noticed people suggest Benchmades and ZT which in every case, were not wharncliffe blades.

A pure sheeps foot is highly unlikely to
have an efficient, or no stabbing point all.
Traditionally, its point and edge is leveled
In a stright line.
That means no raised tip.
It slices flatly from end to end.
The moden interpretations for a sheeps foot
probably arises (and its designation
blurred) due to certain less than traditional
modifications, centering around the tip area.
Also when drop points are mentioned,
I think a hunting knife with a curved belly
and a piercing point.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_point
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

HeaderB.jpg

This reverse tanto is basically a sheep's foot. Swap the edge and spine and basically have a drop point. How can you not see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back