Shillin knife

Just wondering if anyone has any info on where this knife might have been made and the value?

IMG_0970_zpsymybougg.jpg

url]

Just wondering if anyone has any info on where this knife might have been made and the value?

IMG_0970_zpsymybougg.jpg

URL]

One of my favorites: Shilin Cutter. That one made by the master Kuo (5th generation male making that knife by hand) in Taiwan. Google Shilin Cutter for video of Kuo and his store. Five year waiting list last I heard. Search this forum and you will see my collection. Some from Kuo some from lesser makers. Kuo has bale pin thru handle. Please note: When replacing blade into handle lower with care because blade kick was never a priority with maker and blade often contacts metal interior of handle injuring blade! I want that knife. Please post a pic with the blade open. Pretty please. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rjVibk9Ms

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rjVibk9Ms[/video]

Last edited:
03-24-2011ShilinCutter026.jpg

Here is an older ivory (authenticated ivory) handle Shilin Cutter from the Chu family, missing the bale (which should be stainless steel and only crimped into the receiving holes in the handle). Note cracks at the pins. The blade is clad. Hard steel clad in softer steel. Brilliant razor edge. No kick. Slip joint. Stiff pivot. Excellent feel in the hand. Eggplant handle and bamboo leaf blade shape. Most popular in Japan. Rarely seen in the West. Buck 110 is much safer to use.

03-24-2011ShilinCutter010.jpg

Last edited:

s19.photobucket.com/user/oregun/media/03-29-2011Shilincutter022.jpg.html]
03-29-2011Shilincutter022.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
The Chu family knives weren't always known for their fine finish work. And once they left the production area and were used, as the ivory handled one appears to have been, anything could happen to it. A terrific knife IMHO.

Last edited:
Icutmyself,

I went back over your old posts, visited your home page and left you a message (you have no PM no email to contact you), and noticed that the knife was a gift from a friend from Taiwan given in 2006. That is a spectacular, top of the food chain, King of the hill, platinum record, top drawer, over the top, your friend was trying hard to shower you with love, gift.

The Kuo Shilin Cutter is the best of breed. Without question. It is without peer. I know of nothing else like it in the world today where a family for so many generations has persisted in making one thing by hand.

He makes all sizes from tiny to spectacular window display size. The blades range from plain to very fancy Damascus. Handles can be quite ornate. I've talked to him via email and his English is quite good. Obtaining his work is near to impossible, however, unless you have extreme patience to place yourself into his waiting line.

Chu family imploded as far as I know their knife production ceased years ago. Here is some of their vintage work (note the stainless steel bail pressed into the bale hole, typical Chu). Cowry-X blades with plastic handles:

Kuo showing off here with Stag handles yielding stunning results IMHO (note the bale pin pierces the handle):

I swept the island of Taiwan's cutlery shops for Shilin, by computer, and came up with these Chu specimens years ago (plastic handles and clad blades):

A pic of a member of the Chu family:

My first brand spankin new Kuo folders arrive:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

More pics of Kuo's/my new knives, with coin (last emperor Henry PuYi):

Image Shack is giving me guff this morning... I hope that you can see this one. I found this at a knife show. I large vintage Kuo family Shilin Cutter with horn with classic brass bale pin thru handle, handle of black horn and blade clad. The knife is massive, heavy and the vendor said that I am the only one who could open and close it which made me quite happy since the cutting edge had NOT been slammed into the inside of the metal handle so the blade was OK. It was, as you can see, used. Sorry for the mixed pic. Dang that Image Shack.

Last edited:
Back