Shipping autos from another country to the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, it would be illegal to have automatic (switchblade) knives shipped from another country to the U.S. according to the Federal Switchblade Act. However, the one bit that confuses me is the § 1244.1 exception, which specifies:
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

Does this mean that the shipping carriers themselves are exempt, but you could still get in trouble for being the one to initiate the shipment? That's what my initial understanding is, but would love to get some additional clarification or input from those who are more knowledgeable.

It's my understanding that importing switchblades into the US is technically illegal.

However, there is "the law", and then there is "the governments willingness to spend time, money, and manpower to enforce the law".

Considering how many Chinese and Italian switchblades are being sold in the US, it looks to me like enforcing the law isn't exactly a priority. Kinda like the Federal law against selling pot, it's illegal, but they aren't enforcing that law.

Foreign made switchblades are being sold by US vendors all over the internet, even on Amazon.

And I know of several people here in the US who order switchblades from a particular vendor in Austria, and they have no problem receiving their knives. Even receiving them in a few days time.

The exception you quoted is there to cover a delivery service who did not knowing conspire to break the law with the sender and or buyer.

Yes the law seems to be only occasionally enforced but there are several felony laws broken when they are imported to the US especially when using the USPS as the delivery method. There have been a few times when the law was enforced and there was arrests made. As with any criminal activity, it is a roll of the dice as to whether or not you will have an issue, but don't let the fact you see a lot of criminal acts go un punished that there will never be a crack down.

I think since autos are now legal to own in 45 states, the Feds don’t see enforcing the Federal law as that big a priority. It’s pretty much the same thing with pot. It’s legal in the overwhelming majority of states so enforcement of the Federal law is pretty much moot.

the federal govt has been hiring like mad. they were the biggest job creator last month. I wouldn't trust that cause they arent now, they won't tomorrow. tom said it best roll of the dice.

Gentlemen, roll the dice at your own peril. This site does not sanction or condone violating any state or federal law. I can tell you from past experience that I have seen it enforced at the federal level. That doesn't mean it always will be...or that it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back