Recommendation? Shipping Knives from Massachusetts?

Hello All,

I've been getting rid of a lot of material possessions lately. But one thing I've been holding off are a few knives from my knife collection. The biggest one being a Buck 120 (if I can get rid of this one, I can get rid of the others I have in mind) and I've been stuck looking at Massachusetts laws and other forum posts which state that they can be shipped into Massachusetts from another state, but I'm wondering whether I can sell them online (via eBay) and ship to another state (provided these states allow it). Anybody have any input on this? Massachusetts laws seem to overlap and twist in uncertain ways and I wouldn't want to get hit with any repercussions!

Thanks a lot!

As far as I know, Massachusetts only seems to have restrictions on knives you can carry in public and not what you can sell or ship out of state.

If you’re selling any automatic knives, you need to be aware of the Federal Switchblade Act which makes selling them over state lines a crime along with shipping them through the US Postal Service. You could send them through another shipping service like FedEx or UPS as a gift or part of a trade with no sale involved. Any other knife you sell, like the Buck 120, can be shipped through the Postal Service. I’d recommend making sure it’s secure in its sheath and ship it in a box, not a bubble wrap envelope.

Hello All,

I've been getting rid of a lot of material possessions lately. But one thing I've been holding off are a few knives from my knife collection. The biggest one being a Buck 120 (if I can get rid of this one, I can get rid of the others I have in mind) and I've been stuck looking at Massachusetts laws and other forum posts which state that they can be shipped into Massachusetts from another state, but I'm wondering whether I can sell them online (via eBay) and ship to another state (provided these states allow it). Anybody have any input on this? Massachusetts laws seem to overlap and twist in uncertain ways and I wouldn't want to get hit with any repercussions!

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to BF! Am a MA resident, and have been buying and selling knives (no autos) thru eBay for many years with no issues. In my listings I always state the buyer is responsible for complying with their local knife laws. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

My only problem is that back in 2017 MA decided to lower the tax reporting threshold from $20k (which is the federal guideline) to $600 for income from things like PayPal. So if you sell over $600 worth in the same year, you'll get a 1099K and have to file a Schedule C as if you are a small business.

Good luck!

Welcome to BF! Am a MA resident, and have been buying and selling knives (no autos) thru eBay for many years with no issues. In my listings I always state the buyer is responsible for complying with their local knife laws. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

My only problem is that back in 2017 MA decided to lower the tax reporting threshold from $20k (which is the federal guideline) to $600 for income from things like PayPal. So if you sell over $600 worth in the same year, you'll get a 1099K and have to file a Schedule C as if you are a small business.

Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

Wow, thanks for the quick response from everyone, just came back to the forum after some time! Good to hear from another person who's selling from Massachusetts to clear everything up

Thanks again everyone for the responses, they definitely cleared my concerns and will be selling these out shortly!

Back