Shipping knives to Canada

I was contacted by a customer in Canada who would like to order a knife but is wondering if there are any issues shipping knives across the border. I don't have any direct experience with this since Canada is one place I haven't yet shipped a knife. Has anyone had any customs issues or other problems shipping knives to Canadian customers?

Flippers can be a real problem. Slip joints and fixed blades are fine. The border agents here dont have a strict guideline to follow. Its a flawed system at best. The only illegal knives are technically autos gravity knives and balis but they have a loose definition at the cbsa. Hope this helps.

Couriers charge a mint in in Brokerage fees when you ship across the border into Canada. Close to half the value of the parcel. USPS is way less expensive on the brokerage fees....like $15ish total. If I have to have stuff cross the border from the states I make sure they are shipping USPS.

Only other problem is stuff gets hung up in customs sometimes....once I had a package of cd's get hung up for 6 weeks. Also what Stang says about switchblades and ballsongs.

I live near the border. There are tons of shipping receiving companies on the US side of the border. They receive your parcel and hold it for you to come pick it up in person. Costs me $3/parcel and I bring the item across the border in person. No brokerage fees, item doesn't get hung up in customs either. If the item is under $150 I often don't even have to pay sales taxes. Save's me 12%. Place I use is called Ship Happens....name is even fun! I registered with them years ago and they drop me an email when items arrive for me.

We ship a lot to Canada and never had a problem. Just recently we shipped a large box of blades to a customer. The address was wrong and was rejected by the people at the address. it found it’s way all the way back to us and It was still in one piece. We use usps and it’s always been hassle free but we dont ship finished blades we ship metal bar blanks.

Fill out the customs form honestly and don't overly vague.
If it's a medium to small knife I describe as "Hunting Knife"
Medium to large is a "Camping Knife".
The only problem I had was when the customer asked me to describe a knife as a gardening tool; customs said that was not descriptive enough.
Shipped it again as a Camp Knife and it made the trip just fine.

We have shipped many, many fixed blades to Canada and have never had a problem.

Ok, thanks folks. This person is in Alberta and is interested in a Bowie. Doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

When I fill out the shipping information at USPS is it as simple as entering the address and paying the postage on my end? Will the customer have to pay duty fees to get it through customs, or any other kind of hassle I need to inform the customer about?

The customer we will have to pay the import duty fee when thy pick it up.

Fixed Blade Camp Knife
Fixed Blade Camp Machete

Customs HC (harmony code) 8211.92

Easy peasy.

No Push Daggers, Autos, Balis/flippers, and they are touchy on one-hand openers... better be tight and not "flickable'

This Canadian Skinner just went to........well.....Canada on Friday.

m2YWWnO.jpg

dPxAdej.jpg

Ok, thanks folks. This person is in Alberta and is interested in a Bowie. Doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

When I fill out the shipping information at USPS is it as simple as entering the address and paying the postage on my end? Will the customer have to pay duty fees to get it through customs, or any other kind of hassle I need to inform the customer about?
The customer will pay a brokerage fee and a 5% Goods and services tax. The brokerage fees are much less through USPS.

You have to fill out a customs declaration form.
It's a simple form.
Your address, his address, value and description.
It's so the govt can produce statistics about the value of imports and exports, and tax the
receiver.

He will have to pay the brokerage fee Plus sales tax = tax rate varies on province

http://www.calculconversion.com/sales-tax-calculator-hst-gst.html

( +1 on the comments to use USPS post office and canada post - no fedex, ups, dhl, couriers.
usps and canada post is maybe flat rate $7.50
-I once paid $60 in fees on a $10 item with fedex

Be honest on the form
If you choose to undervalue the item on the customs form, but the insurance is higher - they will charge tax based on the insurance valuation and probably inspect it.

Look up harmonized product codes

821192 Knives; having fixed cutting blades, (other than table knives), serrated or not, excluding knives and blades of heading no. 8208
Knives; with cutting blades, (having other than fixed blades), serrated or not, excluding knives and blades of heading no. 8208

separate codes for kitchen, fixed, folder, razor bades,

these are international codes.
If you use the correct code for a fixed knife - it makes the data entry for them faster and will not have "knife" on the package for the mailman and whoever to steal.

off my head stuff we can't import
flippers and anything they can make flip just to screw you
auto
balisong
punch daggars

Last edited:
Hey

I am a lawyer in Canada who practises criminal defense work regularly.

The 3 main Illegal Blades in Canada are:

1. Spring assisted and Switch-Blade style knives. While we have been known to tolerate a limited "tight" spring assist system, switch-blades are a big illegal item;

2. Balisong Knives; and

3. Credit Card Knives.

There are some in the quasi-questionable range like belt concealed knives and push-daggers but these are such a rarity it doesn't ever pose a problem.

Hunting, skinning, Bowie and regular folding knives are all fine.

If you or anyone else ever have a specific knife legality question, feel free to PM me anytime.

Anytime. The legality of weapons in Canada is one of my passions. One of the reasons I went to law school so many years ago.
Nice! This old thread just reassured me, as I have a Dervish Comanche heading to me in Toronto From NY State.... Fingers crossed there aren't any hangups.

If you are shipping a folding knife to Canada that is not explicitly prohibited under the definition of a prohibited weapon under the Criminal Code, Section 84, then just tighten the pivot down hard. Any time I have had a knife shipped to me either one I have bought, or by a customer to be modified, I have always asked for this, and each time the knife arrived without a problem.

The Criminal Code said:
prohibited weapon means

• (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

Back