Shipping of internal parts

Sal Glesser

Shipping of internal parts

There has been some discussion and fair amount of frustration on the question of Spyderco choosing not to ship internal parts. The subject is far more complicated than it might appear on the surface. Some of the questions that come up probably need to be explored and as usual, I would like your input on this policy. Trying to inventory all parts for the hundreds of models and variations that we make is a daunting task. Without actually having the knife in our hands, even part selection is challenging. I will stay involved in this discussion and will try to share thoughts.

Some relevant questions:

What model do you have?

What variation do you have?

Do you have a counterfeit?

Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?

sal

Sal - first off, I applaud you for addressing this head on and listening to your customers' input!

I would love it if you shipped parts, even if I was asked to pay for them. I would think making parts available for your flagships, or top - 10? 20? - sellers would be much less daunting than all models. As a guess that may be the Para 2, Manix 2, Military, Native 5, Delica? I have the first 4 mentioned. Also have an original Gayle Bradley for the record :).

Personally I'd rather try to fix my knife myself than send it in, and again I'd gladly pay for the parts to do it. If I fail, I'd send it in, and willingly pay Spyderco a nominal fee to fix it for me (only because I messed with it) if you can't or don't want to fix for free under warranty work.

Mainly my struggles in the past have been related to not knowing Loctite was on the screws, and I'd mess up a head trying to back out a screw. I've recently come back to Spyderco after being away for a few years, and I left solely because of the Loctite frustration. If my only issue was needing a tiny little screw, I'd be a much happier camper if you'd send me one (and I'll pay for it!) than making me send the knife in.

Another point to make is that models change over time. Take the CQI Military for instance. If I plan to have a knife for years, or decades, I'd like to buy/have replacement parts in hand for the eventuality that I need them years from now, and even Spyderco no longer has them. In other words, part of my desire for them is an "I want them" more so than an "I need them".

One last nugget of info...about a year ago I bought a bunch of CRK parts, just as spares, when they started selling them online...about $150 worth. I have yet to use any, but I bet they made a handsome profit on me! :D I wonder if the profits on this from guys like me would balance out the trouble you're having, kind of like how insurance works.

I would be happy with the ability to buy a replacement Spyderco blade at a reasonable price. That would be great even if I had to send it in or send pics and proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. Also the ability to buy things that actually might need replacement like clips and screws would be cool.

I wouldn’t expect Spyderco (or any other company with multiple offerings) to stock EVERY part from EVERY knife they have ever produced. Very unreasonable ask IMO. Having said that, if I break the blade on my very popular and available Endura 4 or Manix 2 (as an example) within a couple of years of buying it new, it would suck to have to throw it out if the issue doesn’t fall under warranty.

Tough to make everyone happy though.

Hi Sal,
first i thank you for the discussions you made happen!i for one would GLADLY pay for shipping when the need is there for parts,you and your associates at Spyderco do one hell of a job,chapeau!

What are the most common internal parts requested?
I know hardware and clips are available already.
I've heard grumblings about guys not being able to get washers.
Are guys looking for liners?
Full blades? Scales?
I could see lanyard tubes maybe being on the list. I've screwed up a few myself swapping scales.

I need a replacement body screw for one of my PM2's. Would love that to be an option rather than having to send it in for something so simple.

This is why I love Spyderco. They have their thumb on the pulse of their customers and deal with them head on. Whether or not there are any policy changes, at least they are listening to the concerns, actively participating in the conversation, and evaluating the best possible solutions. Bravo Sal!

Clint-Eastwood-Bravo-Reaction-For-a-Few-Dollars-More.gif

As for spare parts for my ever growing collection of Spydercos, I don't mind sending the knife in for spa treatment... even at my own expense. It is a small price to pay for the value I feel I get from your knives.

But if you were to offer parts for 'some' of your top sellers in the future I would probably be a parts customer at some point. I like to take my knives apart and get them squeaky clean and lubed for best performance. But I am a tool guy and learned a lot from Dad who was a machinist.

I would think doing inventory on so many parts for all those models would be so costly its not worth it.
Maybe sticking to keys parts like pocket clip screws and pocket clips. Beyond that just make Spyderco branded duct tape and distribute it for a flat fee

I need a replacement body screw for one of my PM2's. Would love that to be an option rather than having to send it in for something so simple.
I'm pretty sure they'll send you the hardware you need. They have for me in the past. Pivot screws, scales screws, pocket clips. Call customer service, I think they'll take care of you.

Can dealers pitch in and have some involvement in this form of customer service? I mean, especially those who got their way to squeeze every penny out of customers should be able to process defective knife part orders.

I have ordered scale screws and spare clips from Spyderco in the past.
Excellent customer service and quick delivery for a reasonable price.
Would like some spare PB washers and main blade pivot screws for the common knives like Military, PM2, Delica and Endura. Not really needed immediately however, in future years when the knife is discontinued or redesigned.

Over the last 20+ years I have owned well over 100 Spyderco knives.

Regards,
FK

What model do you have? Manix 2 G10
What variation do you have? 154CM saber-ground blade
Do you have a counterfeit? no

I bought this Manix 2 used and it was missing one of the side screws. It is a work knife and works fine without the screw so I don't worry about it too much, not enough to ship it in for repairs. I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering a screw even if it was available unless I was already ordering something else.

I have a total of at least 6 Manix 2s that I carry and use. I worry about the plastic lock piece breaking and rendering the knife useless. I don't even know if replacements are available. I wonder how much it would cost for Spyderco to make them out of metal.

But yes I can imagine it would be difficult to catalog and store all of the available parts. I would think when you are manufacturing a run of a certain model, you could set aside some percentage of parts in a box for that particular model. You wouldn't even have to catalog each individual part, just have a box full of parts for that model. Someone needs a part, just pull out the box for that model and see if there is a part in there. Once those parts are gone, they're gone.

Hi Sal,
If the complexity, expense, and infrastructure necessary to manage inventory and shipping of internal parts means you have fewer resources to pour into new products and CQI... then I'd say keep the status quo. On the other hand, if there are common and simple parts like screws and washers that you can send out I'd be fine with that too as long as you charge for parts and shipping. I don't want to pay for that service up front with the cost of the knife, I'd much rather you keep prices down.

Alternatively, perhaps the cost would be manageable if there is a minimum order amount for parts? Or a handling charge? I think what you'd prefer is for the customer to send the knife in, but assuming the customer prefers to handle themselves and the part is available and doesn't require hand fitting, then as long as they're willing to pay a bit extra for the luxury of parts then why not send them out.

Edit: I have a Southard that came with some minor bearing issues, and while I've been able to improve the action a bit, I'd love to be able to order a new set of washers and bearings to try to improve it even further. I'm willing to pay for new washers and bearings but not so willing to send the knife in. I like to fix stuff myself.

Last edited:
I just wanna echo some of the same sentiments here, first off Sal, thanks for bein' so proactive on this issue, the fact that you've always made yourself available to the customers and fans of Spyderco knives. I bought my first Spyderco, a C01 Worker at one of the big knife shows on the coast and I bought it from you. I remember wishin' you luck with your funny lookin' knife with the hole in the hump. I bought one along with a Sharpmaker. That was in the 80s and here it is over 30 some years later and I still have both of them. A testament to the product and the company, the Worker has since been retired as an EDC and comes out occasionally for carry on special occasions.

Since then I've bought about 20 more and only once I had to send one in for repair, it had a broken blade and you didn't stock it anymore. You did offer me a generous store credit which I used to buy 2 more new models from you, a SS Dragonfly and an FRN Mini Dyad. It's because of you and your staff that I keep coming back, it's because of the knives that I keep leaving with another one. :)

As for working on the knives? Like I said in the other thread I'm a 40 year mechanic/machinist/fabricator so there isn't too much I can't fix, bearing that in mind of course I would love to see parts made available to the customers who are capable of making their own repairs. Unfortunately how would you know who was capable of making their own repairs. This is where your problem comes in, how do you provide parts for those that do and those that don't have the ability to make their own repairs?

First off is the issue of maintaining a spare parts supply, you would need to know the statistics on which parts have the highest failure rates and stock spare parts accordingly. The other problem you'll have are the people who think they are capable of making proper repairs up to spec and those who actually are. This leads to lots of returns when they realize they don't have the skill set to properly make the repair. Now the same parts and possibly more have to be accounted for when they send in the knife they were sure they could repair. A classic example of this is not knowing how to defeat LOCTITE and then stripping out screw heads. Cross threading the screws for the clip or scales or over tightening screws and cracking scales. Some people should never work on anything mechanical ;) . These same people would mess up a Sebenza which is meant to be taken apart by the end user but in some cases even over engineering can't prevent them from stripping out a screw or pivot.

One thing you can do is offer parts on a one time basis, if they are capable you won't hear from them again except to buy more knives :) and if not then they have to send it in for repair and pay for it and the parts. Also take a trip from the auto industry and only keep parts available for X amount of years and then discount what's left in parts and announce that the parts will not be available after that date. People like me would buy up your left over inventory for my knives and you would still make some money off the parts taking up space on the shelves. Rotate the replacement parts to match the popularity of the particular model and as the popularity wanes so will the spare parts availability. Maybe not a perfect solution but an option at least.

SO I gotta ask you Sal, how did you make out with that ugly lookin' knife with the hole in the hump on the blade? ;) Just kiddin', I still look forward to the new catalogs every year. :)

I think this is positive news that spyderco is looking into this whole parts debacle and is making an attempt to address it. Now after 15 years of owning spydercos I’ve never needed internal parts but it would be reassuring to know that they are available.

Strictly from my point of view I would welcome the ability to obtain parts from spyderco to repair knives. I own 9 (5 are natives btw) so I could certainly send one in for repair and use another but if I’m capable of something I don’t like to depend on others to get things done especially when I can save time and hassle doing it myself. As far as warranties go, if I damage an item do to my tinkering it’s on me. I think that’s a big issue here with distributing parts and “encouraging” people to pull apart there spydercos. Seems to be a lot of people who tend to misplace responsibility when things go wrong.

At the end of the day I lean towards spyderco shipping parts and think it would be an outstanding service that would add to the companies value. Also it’s only right and expected that they would charge for that service. I’m positive it would be a huge task to set something like this into place but other manufacturers do it and I know spyderco is more than competent enough of an organization do do the same.

Regardless parts or no parts spyderco goes above and beyond and that’s what keeps me coming back.

Last edited:
Maybe sticking to keys parts like pocket clip screws and pocket clips. Beyond that just make Spyderco branded duct tape and distribute it for a flat fee

This is probably all I would need. . . . well that and body screws
errrrr pivot parts . . .
and those non metal washers in my Ourobors
. . . hmmm starting to get out of hand isn't it ?
The other thing that comes to mind and might be worth stocking ( as far as profitable for Spyderco ) are replacement blades.
Any chance of that ?

Last edited:
I can see why people who live overseas would need to have parts mailed to them as it can be expensive to ship a knife to Spyderco. Sometimes (like for me) the cost of shipping can be as much or more than the cost of the knife. However, for those living in USA, sending a knife back to Spyderco is very inexpensive and it would seem to be a better option for them to send the knife to Spyderco and have the professionals fix the issue. For those who are actual knifemakers and recognized as such, perhaps something could be worked out where they could get parts. Some of these folks could be trained globally to be warranty repair persons, as well.

I would just like to be able to buy replacement screws for a reasonable price with economical shipping. I have a few knives with boogered up screws from previous owners and one straight from spyderco.

Or, if there was a database where I could look up the screw dimensions for particular models I could source them from a knife supply company. I don't want you to enable the counterfeiters even more but something like a parts fiche would be awesome.

I agree that we should be able to buy replacement screws and clips and clip screws. However, the end of the box with the label would need to be kept so that Spyderco would know which iteration of the model they need to send the parts for.

Or, if there was a database where I could look up the screw dimensions for particular models I could source them from a knife supply company

Most screws as long as they're not proprietary and if I'm not mistaken Spyderco doesn't use any, than there's no reason to not buy screws as long as you have the dimensions and specs. Just keep in mind that if you use substandard screws or the wrong hardness you could cause more problems and of course the second you put in a non-Spyderco screw, actually the minute you remove any other screw other than the ones for the clip, you've voided the warranty.

I see Sal's problem, the more you look into this the more complicated it gets. Maybe just having us sign a waiver for warranty in place of parts would help. I know I'd sign it.

Back