1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Shipping of internal parts

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Sal Glesser, Feb 26, 2018.

1. tsiloics

tsiloics

Feb 4, 2006
    PM2's, yes I would be happy to pay.

2. Reswob

Reswob

Aug 27, 2006
    What kind of parts are we talking about? Other major players routinely ship replacement clips, screws, and springs (for free) on request, and I would be shocked if Spyderco didn't do this already. I even managed to get a replacement clip for a long-discontinued Benchmade.

Now things like liners, scales, and blades, that's another story.

3. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    It's really easy for a screw to work its way out or need replacement, pocket clips can bend, washers can go bad, etc. These are all pretty generic parts and I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to keep them in stock and send out so long as the customer foots any big shipping charges. I would dread not being able to get replacement clips and screws, things happen to clips and it doesn't require disassembly to fix. Even if I had to pay a reasonable price for the parts it'd be ok.

For bigger parts that probably require fitting it probably wouldn't work too well. If it's broke from the factory send it in, if you broke it send it in and pay for repairs or buy a new one.

jpm2 likes this.
  4. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    I would like if Spyderco would start to make threads in their knives in metric system, so I can buy in metal shop some screws just in case. I know, then Americans would have problems with buying screws.

I had PM2 once, Spyderco didn't wanted send me new pivot, I had to make new one for metric screws. They wanted me to send the knife but that takes money and a lot of time in my case.

5. 50an6xy06r6n

50an6xy06r6n

Mar 7, 2015
    I have a (non-counterfeit) Rubicon 1 that I bought secondhand a while ago, and just discovered is missing one of the internal washers. Obviously the knife has been taken apart at least twice, so I don't expect the replacement to be free, but I've tried sourcing my own washers and it seems to be near impossible without getting them custom-made :(

6. AlexR

AlexR

Jun 11, 2018
    It would be great to have an opportunity to get some basic replacement parts like screws, washers, standoffs ...
    Maybe for the most popular current models at least...
    I'm ready to pay for the parts and shipping and handling.
    That's my take on the subject.

7. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Have you tried contacting Spyderco's customer service?

sal

8. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi AlexR,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

9. AlexR

AlexR

Jun 11, 2018
    Sal, I think you know better than us that customer service doesn't send washers or any other internal parts. Screws only. That's a Spyderco customer service policy .
    One should send it's knife to Golden Colorado if he needs a washer. Even if one lives overseas.
    It's strange, but there you go.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  10. AlexR

AlexR

Jun 11, 2018
    Hi Sal! It's a pleasure to meet you.
    I love Spyderco knives.

11. 50an6xy06r6n

50an6xy06r6n

Mar 7, 2015
    Haha I actually hadn't tried, since I've been busy and I figured that it wasn't covered anyway. But since you bring it up I'll give it a shot and report back what happens I guess. Thanks for responding!

12. 50an6xy06r6n

50an6xy06r6n

Mar 7, 2015
    Hmm it looks like I caught the warranty department at a bad time. When I first emailed I got an out-of-office message, and today I got this form letter:

13. Candyman87

Candyman87

Jun 27, 2017
    Sal, apologies if I'm late to the game, but the ability of parts is a game changer for me.

One of the things I look for in tools I carry and use everyday is the reliable availability of parts, whether through official channels or not. This is one reason why I carry Glocks over my preferred Walthers... I can get the parts and keep them on hand.

Likewise, the ability to have a couple easily lost screws, washers, and a spare pocket clip for some of your more popular models, would be a bonus for someone like me. I maintain almost all of my equipment and will take a product that has the after sale support for parts over one that has to be sent in.

I also recognize that yes, I'm a knife nerd, and I may not be your typical user, but the availability of parts for PM2's, Endura's, Delica's, etc. would be a huge bonus, even if it's like $20 for a bag of easily lost parts.

Deinos likes this.
  14. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    C797DD92-9F19-4893-BBD9-0ED84B1EDC91.jpeg I am able to photograph and put dimensions on small parts. Can you work with this information, or do you need part and/or model numbers? This is not a Spyderco part.

15. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Candyman,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your input.

Tiguy,

I'll keep that in mind, but generally it's easier to go by model number. Where we run into difficulties is when the model has been upgraded (CQI).

sal

16. Custom

Custom Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi Sal,

I have a mantra 1 with bearing race issues that has made the knife unusable. I would like to buy new washers and bearings from spyderco so I can continue using this knife.

It is expensive and risky to send the knife over the border these days with our crazy customs. I would be extremely happy if Spyderco would let its customers purchase new washers.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  17. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    I would like to see a customs shop that you could purchase all parts. Have to be a registered member. No returns. I personally would like to purchase a pair of the grey scales that the KW Manix 2 52100 has. I have the Manix 2 4V but the CF scales were too nice for what I use the knife for. I used the scales from another Manix 2 that I had and sold the rest for parts. Price the parts so that someone who pays for them really needs read expensive. The Manix 2 CTS XHP that I had I would have purchased a 4V blade for it. Just a thought.

18. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    As a high-end knife manufacturer, I think you should do it in the name of good customer service. That's expected to be part of the purchase price on a high-end product from a US company. in the knives you make, many of which have such a high profit margin.

These knives are not disposable, and a lot of your customers are technically-minded. Just my opinion.

19. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    What about parts for recently discontinued models?
    I have a D'Allara 3 and I would like an extra clip and a set of screws.

20. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    The heck with internal parts. I can’t seem to get a set of screws? What is the deal with that? I sent in pictures of my knife and I’m told the screws look fine. Why do they have to be damaged for me to get replacements anyway? I paid over $100 for the knife and wouldn’t even mind paying for screws. I then had to explain I replaced the originals with Benchmade screws. Finally get screws and they aren’t the right ones and there only half of what I need. What gives? I used to get screws no problem. Now you would think I was trying to get them to send me a replacement knife.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019