Shipping of internal parts

What kind of parts are we talking about? Other major players routinely ship replacement clips, screws, and springs (for free) on request, and I would be shocked if Spyderco didn't do this already. I even managed to get a replacement clip for a long-discontinued Benchmade.

Now things like liners, scales, and blades, that's another story.

It's really easy for a screw to work its way out or need replacement, pocket clips can bend, washers can go bad, etc. These are all pretty generic parts and I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to keep them in stock and send out so long as the customer foots any big shipping charges. I would dread not being able to get replacement clips and screws, things happen to clips and it doesn't require disassembly to fix. Even if I had to pay a reasonable price for the parts it'd be ok.

For bigger parts that probably require fitting it probably wouldn't work too well. If it's broke from the factory send it in, if you broke it send it in and pay for repairs or buy a new one.

I would like if Spyderco would start to make threads in their knives in metric system, so I can buy in metal shop some screws just in case. I know, then Americans would have problems with buying screws.

I had PM2 once, Spyderco didn't wanted send me new pivot, I had to make new one for metric screws. They wanted me to send the knife but that takes money and a lot of time in my case.

I have a (non-counterfeit) Rubicon 1 that I bought secondhand a while ago, and just discovered is missing one of the internal washers. Obviously the knife has been taken apart at least twice, so I don't expect the replacement to be free, but I've tried sourcing my own washers and it seems to be near impossible without getting them custom-made :(

It would be great to have an opportunity to get some basic replacement parts like screws, washers, standoffs ...
Maybe for the most popular current models at least...
I'm ready to pay for the parts and shipping and handling.
That's my take on the subject.

I have a (non-counterfeit) Rubicon 1 that I bought secondhand a while ago, and just discovered is missing one of the internal washers. Obviously the knife has been taken apart at least twice, so I don't expect the replacement to be free, but I've tried sourcing my own washers and it seems to be near impossible without getting them custom-made :(

Have you tried contacting Spyderco's customer service?

sal

sal
Sal, I think you know better than us that customer service doesn't send washers or any other internal parts. Screws only. That's a Spyderco customer service policy .
One should send it's knife to Golden Colorado if he needs a washer. Even if one lives overseas.
It's strange, but there you go.

Last edited:

sal
Haha I actually hadn't tried, since I've been busy and I figured that it wasn't covered anyway. But since you bring it up I'll give it a shot and report back what happens I guess. Thanks for responding!

Haha I actually hadn't tried, since I've been busy and I figured that it wasn't covered anyway. But since you bring it up I'll give it a shot and report back what happens I guess. Thanks for responding!
Hmm it looks like I caught the warranty department at a bad time. When I first emailed I got an out-of-office message, and today I got this form letter:
If your knife just needs a basic sharpening regardless of edge style, the sharpening is free; however, there is a $5 shipping and handling fee.

If your knife needs to be re-serrated, re-tipped or any other non-warranted repairs then it would be $20. plus the $5.00 for shipping. (If the tip break is very small we may be able to fix it with just a basic sharpening). We do put a basic sharpening on all knives sent in for repairs so if you are sending your knife in for repairs only and do not want a basic sharpening please be sure to address that on your note. Here is a link to our warranty page http://www.spyderco.com/service-support/warranty-repair/ .

When you send your knife in please include cash (US currency), check or money order (US or International) for $5 shipping fee (plus $20 if you are sending it in for re-serration, re-tipping or repairs) a note stating what you’d like done to your knife along with your name, return address (no P.O. Box’s please, unless you are Military or live out of the US ) daytime phone number and e-mail address.

Unless we have a question we do not notify you upon arrival of your knife; however, if you include an e-mail address you will be notified by e-mail from UPS when your knife ships home. We are currently at a 2 week turnaround. Spyderco cannot be responsible for items that do not arrive to us. When mailing your knife you should send it in a box (knives have a way of working out of padded envelopes).

Sal, apologies if I'm late to the game, but the ability of parts is a game changer for me.

One of the things I look for in tools I carry and use everyday is the reliable availability of parts, whether through official channels or not. This is one reason why I carry Glocks over my preferred Walthers... I can get the parts and keep them on hand.

Likewise, the ability to have a couple easily lost screws, washers, and a spare pocket clip for some of your more popular models, would be a bonus for someone like me. I maintain almost all of my equipment and will take a product that has the after sale support for parts over one that has to be sent in.

I also recognize that yes, I'm a knife nerd, and I may not be your typical user, but the availability of parts for PM2's, Endura's, Delica's, etc. would be a huge bonus, even if it's like $20 for a bag of easily lost parts.

C797DD92-9F19-4893-BBD9-0ED84B1EDC91.jpeg I am able to photograph and put dimensions on small parts. Can you work with this information, or do you need part and/or model numbers? This is not a Spyderco part.

Hi Candyman,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your input.

Tiguy,

I'll keep that in mind, but generally it's easier to go by model number. Where we run into difficulties is when the model has been upgraded (CQI).

sal

Hi Sal,

I have a mantra 1 with bearing race issues that has made the knife unusable. I would like to buy new washers and bearings from spyderco so I can continue using this knife.

It is expensive and risky to send the knife over the border these days with our crazy customs. I would be extremely happy if Spyderco would let its customers purchase new washers.

I would like to see a customs shop that you could purchase all parts. Have to be a registered member. No returns. I personally would like to purchase a pair of the grey scales that the KW Manix 2 52100 has. I have the Manix 2 4V but the CF scales were too nice for what I use the knife for. I used the scales from another Manix 2 that I had and sold the rest for parts. Price the parts so that someone who pays for them really needs read expensive. The Manix 2 CTS XHP that I had I would have purchased a 4V blade for it. Just a thought.

Shipping of internal parts

There has been some discussion and fair amount of frustration on the question of Spyderco choosing not to ship internal parts. The subject is far more complicated than it might appear on the surface. Some of the questions that come up probably need to be explored and as usual, I would like your input on this policy. Trying to inventory all parts for the hundreds of models and variations that we make is a daunting task. Without actually having the knife in our hands, even part selection is challenging. I will stay involved in this discussion and will try to share thoughts.

Some relevant questions:

What model do you have?

What variation do you have?

Do you have a counterfeit?

Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?

sal
As a high-end knife manufacturer, I think you should do it in the name of good customer service. That's expected to be part of the purchase price on a high-end product from a US company. in the knives you make, many of which have such a high profit margin.

These knives are not disposable, and a lot of your customers are technically-minded. Just my opinion.

What about parts for recently discontinued models?
I have a D'Allara 3 and I would like an extra clip and a set of screws.

The heck with internal parts. I can’t seem to get a set of screws? What is the deal with that? I sent in pictures of my knife and I’m told the screws look fine. Why do they have to be damaged for me to get replacements anyway? I paid over $100 for the knife and wouldn’t even mind paying for screws. I then had to explain I replaced the originals with Benchmade screws. Finally get screws and they aren’t the right ones and there only half of what I need. What gives? I used to get screws no problem. Now you would think I was trying to get them to send me a replacement knife.

Last edited:
Back