1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Shipping of internal parts

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Sal Glesser, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Luke,

I spoke with customer service. She shared with me your emails. I guess you screwed up the original screws on the knife and wanted new screws and there was a question about of which screws you were speaking. She checked with manufacturing to make sure you were talking about the same screws. She said she planned on shipping them to you on Monday. Perhaps you are being impatient?

sal

2. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    Thanks Sal. Wow never imagined you would look into this. That is a absolutely amazing and what makes Spyderco my go to brand. Sorry to make a deal of this. The person I was speaking with was a male though after the outlet told me they couldn’t get them. I’m in no rush for the screws. What I have works for the meantime until I can get some replacements. It was more of the issue of just getting replacement screws that had me frustrated. It seemed as if it was very difficult to get them. I thought I was pretty clear on what screws I needed as there are only two types other than the clip screws. Warranty seemed very reluctant to send out screws. This just is frustrating because I love my Spyderco knives and also love the ability to maintain them myself. I understand the issues with shipping internal parts but I just wish screws were a little easier to get when needed or even if we just would like a spare set. I would have no issue paying a fair price for them either. Again wow thanks for looking into this and keep making great knives. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Luke,

The gentleman you were speaking with is no longer with the company and may have been rude in his response. My apologies. Normally Charlynn answers the phone and she is very professional. She will take care of you.

sal

4. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    Yes I have dealt with Charlynn and she is indeed a pleasure. Thanks so much for your attention to this. Speaks volumes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Sal, the simple fact that you frequently visit and interact with your customers makes me a lifetime fan and consumer. That, and the products are very, very good.

In response to your original question:

As a consumer, it is always a benefit to have the ability to purchase parts.

But the reality is you produce new models and constantly work on quality improvement, so keeping an inventory of parts with an unknown sales metric of all models is going to be challenging and expensive.

At the end of the day it’s your business and your decision on how you run it.

Thanks for making great tools.

6. Daniel J McCarthy

Daniel J McCarthy

Jun 15, 2017
    Dear Sal, I have been buying Paramilitary's 2 for myself, friends and family for over 10 years. I have been a real fan of this "made in the USA" knife and the Spyderco brand since the mid 80's. I make knives and showed at last years Blade Show. I was shocked and saddened after talking to a young man in your customer service whom I asked for some new phosphorus/bronze washers for my oldest Para. "Send it in and we will be glad to evaluate it for you". Not a very pleasant young man and no attempt at accomodation. For the most part I don't believe I have ever known of a nicer community then the knife making community; and of course you are a respected legend in that community. I understand that suppying parts for such a wide line of knives could be a nightmare but for a Para 2, some washers should be available. If I buy a gun, I can get parts. If I buy a high end flashlight I can get parts. You see my dilemma social psychologist call it "Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance", we don't easily let go of long held beliefs and I have long held a positve belief in the Spyderc brand; but the beauty of capitalism is that we can vote with are feet and take are business where it seems to make more sense. Sadly I will be looking at folders from another manufacturer in th future. I will stop by the Spyderco table this year at the Blade show and make this case again because I believe Spyderco has made some great knives that have been great values and that you have had a great legacy.

Respectfully,

Daniel J. McCarthy

blueboost and luke86 like this.
  7. blueboost

blueboost Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2006
    After 30 years of carrying and purchasing Spyderco... I have just now purchased my first Benchmade. It's nice knowing if I break it, I send it in and a new blade is $30-$40 with no fuss. I love the paramilitary 2, but the knife is expensive, and the tip is very delicate. I do not want someone grinding a makeshift new tip on my boutique top of the line product.

CQI is great but so are classic designs, solid service, and supporting at least the user models with parts as easy as possible. Providing unflinching after sales support is absolutely crucial... second only to blade design with regards to expensive knife purchase decisions. Will it hold up, and will you be there when it doesn't? Spydercos should be backed with strong support and warranty dept I don't have to be afraid of. I put a chip in my $300 HAP40 Lum Sprint. I'm scared to send it back. More of these knives wouldn't be safe queens if using them wasn't potential investment suicide, or they had normal production runs (everything doesn't have to be super steel. C46 back into production please!!!). If it were my new super freak that got a chip I could be back to 100% condition for only $40.

Edit 6/10/19: since posting this I have purchased a new PM2 and salt 2.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019