Shipping of internal parts

Hi Luke,

I spoke with customer service. She shared with me your emails. I guess you screwed up the original screws on the knife and wanted new screws and there was a question about of which screws you were speaking. She checked with manufacturing to make sure you were talking about the same screws. She said she planned on shipping them to you on Monday. Perhaps you are being impatient?

sal

Hi Luke,

I spoke with customer service. She shared with me your emails. I guess you screwed up the original screws on the knife and wanted new screws and there was a question about of which screws you were speaking. She checked with manufacturing to make sure you were talking about the same screws. She said she planned on shipping them to you on Monday. Perhaps you are being impatient?

sal
Thanks Sal. Wow never imagined you would look into this. That is a absolutely amazing and what makes Spyderco my go to brand. Sorry to make a deal of this. The person I was speaking with was a male though after the outlet told me they couldn’t get them. I’m in no rush for the screws. What I have works for the meantime until I can get some replacements. It was more of the issue of just getting replacement screws that had me frustrated. It seemed as if it was very difficult to get them. I thought I was pretty clear on what screws I needed as there are only two types other than the clip screws. Warranty seemed very reluctant to send out screws. This just is frustrating because I love my Spyderco knives and also love the ability to maintain them myself. I understand the issues with shipping internal parts but I just wish screws were a little easier to get when needed or even if we just would like a spare set. I would have no issue paying a fair price for them either. Again wow thanks for looking into this and keep making great knives. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Hi Luke,

The gentleman you were speaking with is no longer with the company and may have been rude in his response. My apologies. Normally Charlynn answers the phone and she is very professional. She will take care of you.

sal

Hi Luke,

The gentleman you were speaking with is no longer with the company and may have been rude in his response. My apologies. Normally Charlynn answers the phone and she is very professional. She will take care of you.

sal
Yes I have dealt with Charlynn and she is indeed a pleasure. Thanks so much for your attention to this. Speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Sal, the simple fact that you frequently visit and interact with your customers makes me a lifetime fan and consumer. That, and the products are very, very good.

In response to your original question:

As a consumer, it is always a benefit to have the ability to purchase parts.

But the reality is you produce new models and constantly work on quality improvement, so keeping an inventory of parts with an unknown sales metric of all models is going to be challenging and expensive.

At the end of the day it’s your business and your decision on how you run it.

Thanks for making great tools.

Shipping of internal parts

There has been some discussion and fair amount of frustration on the question of Spyderco choosing not to ship internal parts. The subject is far more complicated than it might appear on the surface. Some of the questions that come up probably need to be explored and as usual, I would like your input on this policy. Trying to inventory all parts for the hundreds of models and variations that we make is a daunting task. Without actually having the knife in our hands, even part selection is challenging. I will stay involved in this discussion and will try to share thoughts.

Some relevant questions:

What model do you have?

What variation do you have?

Do you have a counterfeit?

Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?

sal

Dear Sal, I have been buying Paramilitary's 2 for myself, friends and family for over 10 years. I have been a real fan of this "made in the USA" knife and the Spyderco brand since the mid 80's. I make knives and showed at last years Blade Show. I was shocked and saddened after talking to a young man in your customer service whom I asked for some new phosphorus/bronze washers for my oldest Para. "Send it in and we will be glad to evaluate it for you". Not a very pleasant young man and no attempt at accomodation. For the most part I don't believe I have ever known of a nicer community then the knife making community; and of course you are a respected legend in that community. I understand that suppying parts for such a wide line of knives could be a nightmare but for a Para 2, some washers should be available. If I buy a gun, I can get parts. If I buy a high end flashlight I can get parts. You see my dilemma social psychologist call it "Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance", we don't easily let go of long held beliefs and I have long held a positve belief in the Spyderc brand; but the beauty of capitalism is that we can vote with are feet and take are business where it seems to make more sense. Sadly I will be looking at folders from another manufacturer in th future. I will stop by the Spyderco table this year at the Blade show and make this case again because I believe Spyderco has made some great knives that have been great values and that you have had a great legacy.

Respectfully,

Daniel J. McCarthy

After 30 years of carrying and purchasing Spyderco... I have just now purchased my first Benchmade. It's nice knowing if I break it, I send it in and a new blade is $30-$40 with no fuss. I love the paramilitary 2, but the knife is expensive, and the tip is very delicate. I do not want someone grinding a makeshift new tip on my boutique top of the line product.

CQI is great but so are classic designs, solid service, and supporting at least the user models with parts as easy as possible. Providing unflinching after sales support is absolutely crucial... second only to blade design with regards to expensive knife purchase decisions. Will it hold up, and will you be there when it doesn't? Spydercos should be backed with strong support and warranty dept I don't have to be afraid of. I put a chip in my $300 HAP40 Lum Sprint. I'm scared to send it back. More of these knives wouldn't be safe queens if using them wasn't potential investment suicide, or they had normal production runs (everything doesn't have to be super steel. C46 back into production please!!!). If it were my new super freak that got a chip I could be back to 100% condition for only $40.

Edit 6/10/19: since posting this I have purchased a new PM2 and salt 2.

Last edited:
What model do you have?
PM2 (m4)
PM2 (K390)
Manix 2 (smooth Black G10 + Cruwear)
McBee
Techno 2
SpydieChef
Slysz Bowie
Smock​

Do you have a counterfeit?
never have, never will
Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?
I'm in the US but if i were overseas, I'd still be willing to pay for the service.

Cheers.

I've only ever had to replace a pocket clip that I hooked and broke on a lawn chair.....

Clip shipped no problem and no one called me fat!!

I tried to get a clip from a competitor on one of their knives and was told no.

Some companies won't ship internals or parts for any reason. I have a nice, limited production knife with lock up problems.....

The company that made it won't ship parts, or offer to fix the lock up issues....

I had to MacGuiver a solution after they refused to help.

Spyderco's willingness to do so is a huge benefit. One that I would not abuse.

If it is necessary to charge for shipping parts....do so.... I would support that decision.

I've been on these forums long enough to see a lot of stupid people do idiotic things, and many take advantage l when they can.

I would put up parts lists on-line for as many knives as possible, with specs for the screws and washers. A source and their part # would be nice, but those things change -- part specs seldom change, and would enable the guy with a 40-year old knife to get what he needs without having to bother Spyderco.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to our forum and I'm sorry for your disappointment at our booth. Also sorry for taking so long to respond. Hard to see every post. Maybe you'll come and visit again at Blade. Look me up, I should be there.

Hi Blade_Hunter,

Welcome to our forum.

We make too many models with too many improvements to try to do that. The guy with the 40 year old knife would be best served by "bothering" Spyderco rather than trying to figure out which part will fit.

sal

The replacement parts could be offered on let’s say your Delica / endela / Endura series in kits so you get all the parts- flat rate and no hassle about hunting for an left liner of a spyderco stretch and lanyard hole.

the customers can work out the small time bits and pieces......of everyone has a full kit of internals - this also cuts down on warranty work because replacements are readily at hand and this community here and one Facebook groups are very generous in the Spyderco world.

One idea might be to standardize all screws to be the same size on the Endura and stretch and Delica and endela - T-10 for example you could bulk order everything easier and if I strip a pivot screw and a frame screw I order a complete kit for $20 and get replacements for any screw should I mess up.

personally I would buy a full kit for my stretch just knowing I had extra parts means I would use it more and more. Plus it’s ZDP-189.

I have a tighe stick and it’s the most art like knife I have and yet the design is just fantastic - Thank you for that.

Sal, not sure if this was brought up yet or not but what about supplying a set of replacement screws with each new knife, or at least certain knives? I'm thinking models that are over $70 at the least.

This would add cost to each knife, however Id estimate that the number of people requesting replacement screws would be cut down by half. Again, an estimate, but I'd assume most people requesting screws are doing it one time per knife, max. While you may get money selling these screws, you also spend money stocking them and paying employees to inventory and pick them.

Maybe the cost of supplying backup screws with the purchase would cut the cost of supplying them after the fact to those who only need them once. Maybe it would cut the cost of work related to manufacturing/stocking and warranty work too related to this issue.

Regardless, I would have no problem paying an extra $5 or $10 per knife for replacement screws. Then again not everyone wants to mess with that stuff so it may not be a popular opinion.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sal, not sure if this was brought up yet or not but what about supplying a set of replacement screws with each new knife, or at least certain knives? I'm thinking models that are over $70 at the least.

This would add cost to each knife, however Id estimate that the number of people requesting replacement screws would be cut down by half. Again, an estimate, but I'd assume most people requesting screws are doing it one time per knife, max. While you may get money selling these screws, you also spend money stocking them and paying employees to inventory and pick them.

Maybe the cost of supplying backup screws with the purchase would cut the cost of supplying them after the fact to those who only need them once. Maybe it would cut the cost of work related to manufacturing/stocking and warranty work too related to this issue.

Regardless, I would have no problem paying an extra $5 or $10 per knife for replacement screws. Then again not everyone wants to mess with that stuff so it may not be a popular opinion.

Cheers
I'd be in for that. Replacing screw set is a good idea.

I know Spyderco’s policy on parts but I own 52 of them anyway. Unfortunately, I’ll never own another. I purchased a new S30V CQI Military three weeks ago to replace one that I had actually worn out. I work in a water plant and use my knife every day. I was cleaning it over the weekend and misplaced a bronze washer. Emailed Spyderco and received a typical policy-statement response about selling no parts. Tried calling Spyderco and, after being passed around to three different departments, was put in voicemail where I was told to call back as everyone is busy. Tried a second time with the same result. Spyderco’s automated system will connect you with a specific employee just as long as you know that employee’s last name: I’ve seen Sal reference Charlynn here on this & the Spyderco Forum. Well, I couldn’t get hold of Charlynn because I didnt know her last name. So my relatively new Military turns out to be useless without a washer and the Spyderco runaround soured me on the brand after 15 years of using/collecting. No real point here other than getting this off my chest I guess. They make great knives but seem to have somehow forgotten the true meaning of the words Customer Service IMO.

Hi Elde66,

Sorry for your frustration. Things are confusing mostly because of COVID. Many working from home these days so everything seems messed up.. I am having my own frustrations with R & D being so spread out. Things that would normally be done in a day take a week or more.

I'll forward this post to Charlynn. I think you should email her and be patient.

sal

Ok it’s not an internal part, but I lost the pocket clip screw for my Para3 lightweight. Found the clip but not the screw. This was all about a year ago.
Contacted Spyderco CS by email to ask if I could buy a replacement screw. I don’t live in the US and said I was happy to pay any shipping and handling costs.
They replied that they would send me a replacement at no cost to me.
I received a small package in very short time. It included the screw, a new wire clip, and a small tube of Locktite.
I thought the CS response was pretty amazing.

I could definitely use a new blade on my Para 2. I’ve worn the blade down from my Hercules grip and pressure on my diamond stones. I’ve learned my lesson and since corrected it. I’d definitely rather pay for a new blade instead of buying a whole new knife If it’s all possible can you direct me to whereof who I need to get one.

Ok it’s not an internal part, but I lost the pocket clip screw for my Para3 lightweight. Found the clip but not the screw. This was all about a year ago.
Contacted Spyderco CS by email to ask if I could buy a replacement screw. I don’t live in the US and said I was happy to pay any shipping and handling costs.
They replied that they would send me a replacement at no cost to me.
I received a small package in very short time. It included the screw, a new wire clip, and a small tube of Locktite.
I thought the CS response was pretty amazing.
Consider yourself lucky. They told me it would cost 8 bucks to get a clip and screws.

I could definitely use a new blade on my Para 2. I’ve worn the blade down from my Hercules grip and pressure on my diamond stones. I’ve learned my lesson and since corrected it. I’d definitely rather pay for a new blade instead of buying a whole new knife If it’s all possible can you direct me to whereof who I need to get one.
Just call Spyderco. What have you got to loose?

Back