shipping overseas

Hi all,

I just decided to get my first real khukuri after buying an LTC (shame on me) a little time ago.
The power of the LTC made me wonder and I tried to find more information on this great knifes, what brought me to this forum that I read regularly now. I want to tell you all how much I like reading it and that is great to have a forum where people communicate so good with each other.

Now to my question, when wanting to buy my khukuri from Gurkha House I had to notice that I can´t because they do not ship outside of the US any longer. What is the problem and is that for a short periode of time only so I can wait or for longer forcing me to buy from another source???

Hope you can help me.
Regards

Gee, I'm quite surprised to hear that GH wasn't shipping out of the USA anymore. Did Craig tell you this? He has shipped many khukuris to Germany in the past, and it's almost hard to believe he has stopped now. I wish he'd bring us up to date around here occasionally.

The outfit that GH buys from also sells worldwide, and the shipping is more than the cost of the khukuri. I prefer to buy from GH, as the cost works out about the same, and if I want to return or exchange for any reason it's easy and cost effective. Craig is also good at picking them as per my request.

Anyway, if you're looking for the actual Gurkha issue khukuri, the only other source I know of is the www.khukurihouse.com website. If you can't get one from GH, then I'd say KH might be a good option for you to consider.

I hope something works out for you.

Dan

Hi Lt. Dan
thanks for the reply.
I got the information when I tried to buy a khukuri from Gurkha House directly from the banner stating they would charge me a 10% cancellation fee for ordering at their site...??
Check out http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/

Right now I'm just having a look at your tip.
I had my mind set on a Modern Afghan Khukuri, I think you sold one a short while ago?
Please help a beginner, the price is much cheaper in comparision so my budget allows two of their khukuris... what would be your choice???

Thanks for your help
Sven

Hey, Sven. While the Modern Afghan is a beautiful khukuri, it's forward curve gives it a feel of being heavier, and has a different balance than the other styles. Unless you have tasks that need something out of the norm, there's no doubt that conventional wisdom will steer you to the WW2 model. An overwhelming majority of advice from forumites will tell you it's perhaps the most versatile and the best place to start. This is especially so if you're of somewhat average stature. And the more I use them, the more I fully agree.

Perhaps buying a WW2 first will give you a good basis for deciding where to go from there. There has been lots of discussion about this over the years, and agreement still comes around to the WW2. If you really want to buy two at the same time, then I might suggest that you also consider a 18" Ang Khola for heavier chopping. The second choice is much harder than the first, and you might benefit the most from only getting one to start with.

Another issue is wood and horn handles. Horn is very beautiful and also tough, but has been known to sometimes develop cosmetic cracks in dry seasons (especially winter). This can be easily prevented with some animal hoof treatment, and repaired with colored epoxy glue. On the other hand, some folks prefer the look and feel of Rosewood.

My perspective is from a user point of view, as I'm not a collector. If you want something pretty to look at, then it's a matter of personal taste.

I hope this post helps....

Dan

Not meaning to confuse you, these are some things to consider with khukuris.

That is a lot to take into consideration... Right, I will buy the WW2 and the Ang Khola as suggested and try to get them with the rosewood handles also in case I need to reshape them..
Thanks a million, that was great help.

I still would like to know why GH does not sell outside the US any longer, maybe someone from GH reads this and can help?

Hello again...
I tried to get the knifes as suggested to find that they do not offer them under the names WW2 and Ang Khola. I found two knifes that seem to be close to the WW2, the World War and the Service No.1 and none that I could identify for the 18" Ang Khola.
Again I have to ask for advice...

Regards

Sven, you're right that the World War is the WW2. The Service No. 1 is the exact khukuri that is issued to the present day Gurkhas. They're very similar, but the SN1 is a downsized version of their older service model, the WW. I'm an average guy (6 feet) with hands just about regular size (maybe a tad smaller than average), and I've found the WW2 to fit the hand better than the SN1. Most westerners are bigger than the average Gurkha (about 5 feet, 3 inches) and like choose khukuris accordingly.

I don't know how big an individual you are, so that's why I'm suggesting you get the WW2. And if it was me, I would get only the WW2 for a first purchase, and make decisions later about other khukuris based on your experience using it. Trying to speculate if you'll like the second unknown knife without using the first is really a crap shoot. There is a good chance that after getting the WW that you might like something thinner and faster (sirupati or cheetlang), or smaller (mini jungle) instead of one larger and heavier (ang khola).

You might be better off testing the waters first with just one toe to see if you really want to jump in later.

Does this help any?

Dan

Oooops, that really helped.
I will not buy a bigger one until I know how to handle my first one.
I´m only 5 feet 7 inches what makes me about same size with the gurkhas and my hands are small.
Am I a candidate for WW or SN1 now?

Well, I guess it comes back to personal taste, Sven. And I'll try not to impose mine on you. (And I DON'T expect you to take my advice.)

The SN1 is thought by its makers to be the ideal all-purpose military khukuri, just as it is. I wanted to get one made up with a rosewood handle once, but that request was declined. But Horn is unbelieveably durable and can take unbelieveable punishment. If it gets cracked or broken, it will still hold up.

The WW2 can be had with either a rosewood or horn handle. And the WW used to be the Gurkha issued khukuri during the Big War. Perhaps the downsizing trend can be likened unto the evolution of the NATO service rifle cartridges, from 7.62mm (.308) to 5.56mm (.223).

Being 5'7", you can certainly go either way. But you might like to get the official Gurkha model the first time out. The SN1 brass parts are finished brighter than the tacticalized Jungle Fighter, but both are the real thing. The JF has a green scabbard cover, and the Gurkhas further tactilize them by taping the handle. There are some interesting old threads on these and related topics that would be worth your time.

Your size is a factor, and the intended use for the knife is another. If you're stout or work out, you might want to get a WW, but the SN1 might be a the ticket for you, and you'd also be getting the current Gurkha khukuri.

And everybody has their own preferences and opinions. (I'm surely guilty of that!) My like of rosewood might be an influence, but I've seen a "test SN1" that was abused terribly, and the horn handle can't be pulled off the tang, even though it has been beaten with a hammer and damaged. This is only my humble opinion (and I welcome others), but the SN1 or JF might be your best first.

Dan

...and I thought "that knifes look great, go and get one.."
Dan, your help is great and I value it much, thanks. I asked you for your own opinion because your opinion is much better than what I had before... no clue.
I think I will try to get my hands on the SN1 first to get my own experiences and read much more about those knifes.
Thanks again and as soon as I have my first real khukuri I will post my report on it somewhere in BladeForums

I hope I've been some help to you, Sven. And do feel free to come back and share experiences and questions any old time. This forum is a little quiet at the moment, but some pretty knowledgeable folks drop by on occasion. There's some good reading to be had in the old threads, too.

May your khukuri suit you well.

Dan

Hi Dan, I started to read the older threads by using the search engine of the forum, it is incredible how much information is in it.
You are right it is very quite in this forum, by the way there is no problem talking about general problems in this forum? I could not find a forum that is only for khukuris no matter where bought. I would like to post my experiences with my LTC in comparison to the SN1 that I hope to get soon (that is if the guys from Khukuri House ever answer my order and mail ;) ). I will keep you and the rest in the forum updated ...

SvenW,
Welcome to the GH Forum! Dan's advise is generally pretty good. I'm about your size 5'-8", and generally I prefer the lighter blades (the 15" sirupati is may favorite). But remember, it depends on what you plan on using the knife for. I have several other khukuris, larger and smaller, but I think of the smaller knives as general utility knives, and the larger ones as special purpose knives.

For example, the AK knives are heavier and excel at chopping and splitting larger wood. Sirupatis of the same length are lighter. While these knives can also split wood, their lighter weight makes them better for chopping smaller wood or vines. The Cheetlangs seem to me to be more of a fighting knife, and the SN1 and WW2 are the best overall compromise between heft and endurance (my endurance, not the knives:D ).

Patrick

Sven, there haven't been any problems about general khukuri discussion here in the past that I'm aware of. I think the rule of thumb is just to not get ugly (fame or troll). As for your khukuri choice, I could've cut to the chase by asking about your size with the first post. And I'm looking forward to hearing about your khukuri adventures.

Outdoors, it sounds like the Balance size suits you pretty well. How is it performing for you?

Later, guys,

Dan

Dan,
the balance is still in the wrapper! I need to get it out in the field soon. I've been trying to set up a trip with my old camping buddy, but his wife seems to think it's more important that they have a kitchen. My wife agrees. Go figure;)

Patrick

Outdoors, that khukuri is small enough to be used for food prep. Just picture the spouse with it in the kitchen...a beautiful thing! Hope you can test drive it soon.:)

Dan

Outdoors, nice to meet you.

Sorry for always answering posts that late but the time difference..

What do I intend to use the knife for?
There are three tasks
first, I go camping and was looking for a tool to cover lots of tasks like chopping, cutting and that brought me to the khukuris since if I carry a knife anyway for cooking and cutting I did not want to carry an additional axe.
second, I do bow hunting what is a special way of tournamental bow and arrow shooting done with 3d rubber animals in the woods to give you the feeling for real hunting. Since I´m no Robin Hood arrows tend to hit different targets like trees or the earth and I have to cut them free or dig them out.
third, I would like to learn how to fight with a knife. From what I read about the Gurkhas they do pretty good with those knifes.

So the khukuri looked like the perfect solution to me...specially since from my personal taste I would have bought one anyway because they are the most beautiful knifes I have ever seen.

SvenW,
not need to appologise for the time difference. We had and exchange student from Germany, and she had to call her family in Germany very early in the morning!

AS far as a general use khukuri chopping, slicing, digging) I'd go with the WWII, SN1 or a 15" sirupati. These are the best general utility knives, in my opinion. The smaller knives like Mini-jungle are better for all around camp work, but if your are also planning on doing chopping, these three are the best, in my opinion. These three also feel good in the hand for martial arts practice, with the sirupati having a slight advantage for those of us under 6' tall. It's also the most attractive of the three :D ;)

Patrick

Hi Outdoors,
you just caught me about to call it a day.
Since GH seems to be no longer selling to Europe I ordered an SN1 from Khoukuri House and till now have not reveived any notice that they have received it or when I can expect it.
Since I´m making plans for a 14 day vacation right now (canoeing Sweden) depending on job next month I hope to find a lot of time for testing the knife.
Cheers
Sven

Svenw,
Khukuri House is run by Lalit Kumar Lama in Nepal. I ordered two khukuris from him in the past. He is very accomodating, but it does take a bit of time for him to answer his email. Not to worry though, he will get back to you.

Patrick

Back