Shirogorov alternatives

This is a mental exercise, of sorts. To me, a Shirogorov is desirable because it is simultaneously a celebrated action, and a practical user. Full flat grind, ultra smooth action.

With that in mind, which alternatives do you feel deliver a reasonable facsimile of what a Shiro offers?

Craig Brown Servo
Grimsmo Rask

Only my opinion.
Still love my Shirogorovs tho.

The FFG is less common, but, Kizer, WE, Reate, Stedemon, Koenig, and Maxace all combine to have a relatively substantial catalog of $100-$500 knives that have astounding action and construction quality.

There are also a slew of mid-techs by G&G Hawk, Brian Tighe, and many more that are in that same sub-$500 price range that I imagine fall into the same general quality category.

If build quality is the primary metric you are measuring by, Shiros don’t have construction quality that justifies a $500+ price difference over what might be considered competition. Their prices fall well beyond the point of diminishing returns if you’re not also just in love with their designs, style, and brand.

Thank you for the replies, so far.

This isn’t a “recommend me a” thread, so much as a question of academic curiosity. I enjoy seeing insight offered by people into how they process topics, and was curious how this one might unfold. There are a lot of ways to break it down.

As Comeuppance Comeuppance has already described, I don't think there is anything particularly unique about the action or fit and finish found on Shirogorov knives. It's pretty easy to find flippers that reach max flip-ability (i.e. that you can't make open partially with the flipper even if you try), the same is true for finding knives that run on bearings that fall shut under their own weight. More baffling to me is getting a knife on washers that falls shut even with the pivot cranked down, my recent experience with a ZT 0850--it's bizarrely smooth, it casually middle finger flicks and falls shuts, as if it was on bearings.

I liked my Olamics and CKFs more than my Shiros and CRKs, but different strokes for different folks and all that. There are some nice flat ground Olamics and CKFs, incidentally (e.g. Olamic Swish, CKF Morrf series, etc.).

What is the point of the exercise, incidentally? I mean, if you like Shiros, buy Shiros and enjoy them.

I have my Shiro and lovevit and use it, I also am searching for the correct Olamic as I’ve heard nothing but good things and I am ready to try one.

There's also Cheberkov knives of Russia. I've heard the overall quality is on par with Shiro, also they offer a wider range of styles and sizes.

I'd really be curious to hear from people about the Cheburkov knives, they are more attainable and available. I have been tempted to try one, but at the price it's not something you just buy. At least not me.

evilgreg evilgreg I find it informative to see how these things unfold. There is a lot of honesty found in unguided conversation.

I'd really be curious to hear from people about the Cheburkov knives, they are more attainable and available. I have been tempted to try one, but at the price it's not something you just buy. At least not me.

I'll let you know in a few days, I have a custom Tukan on the way directly from Alex.
I was able to talk him into doing what I believe is his first hand rubbed satin M390 blade,(he didn't want to do it at first) I will post some pics as soon as she gets here.

Having owned more than a dozen Shiro's I'm excited to see and make some comparison's, at a fraction of the cost if it's anything close it will be an outstanding value.(cheaper than many midtech's) Great guy to work with!

Gotta love some FFG!

Last edited:
I will be watching this thread. A Shiro has been on my list for a while, but after just getting a Thorburn, not sure if I need to try another high end folder, hah. But alas, Shiro is still on my list...

One particular brand of Shirogorov copies is consistently close to the real thing, right down to inconsequential little details, far beyond what even makes sense from a practical "cloning" standpoint. They have unbelievable action on multi-row ceramic bearings, incredible cutting performance, the works. Ethics aside, they're some of the best knives I've ever handled. Best Shiro alternative? Am I even sure it's not a Shiro? YMMV.

With that out of the way, I think the real answer might be the Holt Bladeworks Spectre. Like a Shiro it has awesome action, at least one unique mechanical innovation, and a very similar blade profile. Plus a human being with a stellar reputation, who you can actually talk to.

Last edited:
Cheburkov Tukan

Wz4scNc.jpg

vctR5Bq.jpg

I like that toucan a lot!

T
I have my Shiro and lovevit and use it, I also am searching for the correct Olamic as I’ve heard nothing but good things and I am ready to try one.
The Swish shares a lot of qualities with the 95-mm blade production Shiro models. It's really nice in the hand and has a great blade design.

This is a mental exercise, of sorts. To me, a Shirogorov is desirable because it is simultaneously a celebrated action, and a practical user. Full flat grind, ultra smooth action.

With that in mind, which alternatives do you feel deliver a reasonable facsimile of what a Shiro offers?
Shirogorov excels at quality of construction, comfortable handles, and useful blade designs. They're relatively understated aesthetically but attractive. The action is really nice but not uniquely so.

I think both Holt Bladeworks and Koenig Knives offer a lot of these qualities, although Koenig's designs are less understated than Shiro's.
u9yfoW8.jpg

o19HpzC.jpg

xruVi0W.jpg

The Holt Specter is worth looking at for two to three hundred less than an F3. But the Shiro is a heavy cutting tool. At 3.6 oz the Specter can't compare in weight alone to the 5.15 oz F3.

The Holt Specter is worth looking at for two to three hundred less than an F3. But the Shiro is a heavy cutting tool. At 3.6 oz the Specter can't compare in weight alone to the 5.15 oz F3.
I agree the F3 is a robust tool. The Arius is similar in that respect. The Specter is more similar functionally to the NeOn or HatiOn.

You mentioned weights. Mine are the following:
Specter: 3.55 oz
Arius: 4.15 oz (some are much heavier)
F3R: 4.6 oz
HatiOn: 2.45 oz

I think the Specter and Arius are a great pairing, just as are the HatiOn and F3R.

Back