Shiv uses

Mat, I recognized it was an A2 Shiv, earlier than the 3V, and wanted one more. There are differences between the A2 and 3V Shiv that most people don't see or realize. At the risk of being repetitive, I am going to paste some comments from way earlier in this thread that Nathan made long ago, expanding on the differences and the approximate number of each produced:

COMMENTARY BY NATHAN

"A2 and 3V were both ground and unground. A2 grinds nicer but 3V benefits from it more due to removing deeper tool marks from milling a relatively difficult material.

When I moved from A2 to 3V I updated the design. There are different kinds of toughness and durability, but gross toughness (the ability to resist large blowouts or breaking) is better in 3V due to alloy, manufacturing process, and microstructure. This leads to a thinner blade, and that led to a trickle down in design tweaks including changes to the fuller, the plunge, the swedge and the internal skeletonizing for balance issues. There was a significant reduction in weight. At the same time I shifted the thumb ramp slightly forward and added the chamfers. The changes to the location of the thumb ramp and the internal skeletonizing are visible tweaks that I'm not sure anyone has ever noticed before.

Another tweak was the hand grip. It is designed to sit across your palm at an angle and the sculpting is designed so that it extends straight out aligned with your arm. This is important when stabbing something in the dark. Try it with a Shiv then try it with someone else's "fighter", you'll see slab sided knives jut out at a weird angle, not in line. The Shiv grip is tuned. Well, it was tuned for me, I have big chunky palms. The first few were more extreme, I dialed it in for more of a 50th percentile male after the first run.

Fun fact: the scales on the Shiv and the UF are interchangeable, but different. The UF is thinner to carry flat. The Shiv is a full on stabbing weapon without those concessions.

The flares on the scales align with your palm when indexed against the guard and thumb ramp when held in a reverse grip. That reverse grip is one reason the butt end of it looks like it does. The distance from the butt to the flares are tuned for an average size thumb to get around the butt. Try holding other knives in a reverse grip and you'll see what I'm talking about.

At some point in the process I changed my signature slightly, moving a letter over a tad and changing the relative depth of some areas. The depth of the signature varies to simulate the variations in width of the actual signature that it was scanned from and these tweaks were done during the Shiv runs.

The first Shivs had a thicker point and edge and were sharpened at 23 degrees per side then convexed. They're very durable but didn't cut great. They were a sharp pry bar that could open a hole in a brick wall. As time went on the Shivs got thinner and sharper. I transitioned into a 20 degree V edge and brought the swedge up to meet the edge near the point. In testing this geometry can be thrown into a 1" decking board or 3/4" plywood and penetrate through for a couple inches, but can be thrown into a brick paver with the same force without losing the point. I feel we've hit the sweet spot for penetration vs durability.

Fun fact: The very first Shiv was a test knife. It was finally broken a few days ago. It has been a rough use knife in the shop all these years. It tore down part of a brick wall, cut the steel strapping on pallets of incoming materials and opened all the incoming crates by batoning through all the nails. Cutting though the nails is easier than prying. Years of being hit with a 4 pound hammer finally caught up with it a few days ago. It was A2. To my knowledge the only 3V Shivs that have ever broken were done intentionally in a vise with a cheater bar."

Yes, Bob... I did notice that it was an A2 iteration but there are not too many around and Nathan's A2 is top notch stuff (thank you again for re-posting his commentary).

Here's a double-edged, green 3V G10 Shiv that leads off part of a set of CPKs, with double step textured scales:

xlarge.jpg
The Green G10 on the Shiv seems to lack the depth and vibrant color of the field knife and Edc! Please contact me ASAP and I will alleviate this OBVIOUS Flaw from your collection!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;););););););)Beautiful Set Bob:p:p:p:p:p:p

Mat, I recognized it was an A2 Shiv, earlier than the 3V, and wanted one more. There are differences between the A2 and 3V Shiv that most people don't see or realize. At the risk of being repetitive, I am going to paste some comments from way earlier in this thread that Nathan made long ago, expanding on the differences and the approximate number of each produced:

COMMENTARY BY NATHAN

"A2 and 3V were both ground and unground. A2 grinds nicer but 3V benefits from it more due to removing deeper tool marks from milling a relatively difficult material.

When I moved from A2 to 3V I updated the design. There are different kinds of toughness and durability, but gross toughness (the ability to resist large blowouts or breaking) is better in 3V due to alloy, manufacturing process, and microstructure. This leads to a thinner blade, and that led to a trickle down in design tweaks including changes to the fuller, the plunge, the swedge and the internal skeletonizing for balance issues. There was a significant reduction in weight. At the same time I shifted the thumb ramp slightly forward and added the chamfers. The changes to the location of the thumb ramp and the internal skeletonizing are visible tweaks that I'm not sure anyone has ever noticed before.

Another tweak was the hand grip. It is designed to sit across your palm at an angle and the sculpting is designed so that it extends straight out aligned with your arm. This is important when stabbing something in the dark. Try it with a Shiv then try it with someone else's "fighter", you'll see slab sided knives jut out at a weird angle, not in line. The Shiv grip is tuned. Well, it was tuned for me, I have big chunky palms. The first few were more extreme, I dialed it in for more of a 50th percentile male after the first run.

Fun fact: the scales on the Shiv and the UF are interchangeable, but different. The UF is thinner to carry flat. The Shiv is a full on stabbing weapon without those concessions.

The flares on the scales align with your palm when indexed against the guard and thumb ramp when held in a reverse grip. That reverse grip is one reason the butt end of it looks like it does. The distance from the butt to the flares are tuned for an average size thumb to get around the butt. Try holding other knives in a reverse grip and you'll see what I'm talking about.

At some point in the process I changed my signature slightly, moving a letter over a tad and changing the relative depth of some areas. The depth of the signature varies to simulate the variations in width of the actual signature that it was scanned from and these tweaks were done during the Shiv runs.

The first Shivs had a thicker point and edge and were sharpened at 23 degrees per side then convexed. They're very durable but didn't cut great. They were a sharp pry bar that could open a hole in a brick wall. As time went on the Shivs got thinner and sharper. I transitioned into a 20 degree V edge and brought the swedge up to meet the edge near the point. In testing this geometry can be thrown into a 1" decking board or 3/4" plywood and penetrate through for a couple inches, but can be thrown into a brick paver with the same force without losing the point. I feel we've hit the sweet spot for penetration vs durability.

Fun fact: The very first Shiv was a test knife. It was finally broken a few days ago. It has been a rough use knife in the shop all these years. It tore down part of a brick wall, cut the steel strapping on pallets of incoming materials and opened all the incoming crates by batoning through all the nails. Cutting though the nails is easier than prying. Years of being hit with a 4 pound hammer finally caught up with it a few days ago. It was A2. To my knowledge the only 3V Shivs that have ever broken were done intentionally in a vise with a cheater bar."
All that information and no pictures to compare. We expect a full detailed comparison upon delivery :thumbsup::D

All that information and no pictures to compare. We expect a full detailed comparison upon delivery :thumbsup::D

Personally after owning both I prefer the A2 from an aesthetic perspective as the angles are more angular, due to the increased thickness, and the dark stonewash finish just sets that off even more.

The Green G10 on the Shiv seems to lack the depth and vibrant color of the field knife and Edc! Please contact me ASAP and I will alleviate this OBVIOUS Flaw from your collection!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;););););););)Beautiful Set Bob:p:p:p:p:p:p

OH, if I had only known. My vision must be off. Send me a reminder note in a few weeks and I'll send you a Czech.

Another Shiv here, topping off a set of knives handled in true Westinghouse micarta. From top to bottom are the Shiv, Light Chopper, Dagger, Field Knife and EDC.

NOTE: One of the five knives below is not true Westinghouse. Care to guess which one?

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
I'll play, The Dagger:thumbsup: Edit-Disregard every post I have made in the What would you like to see next CPK thread-DAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEER for sure:thumbsup::) That Dagger is Drop dead gorgeous Bob:p:D

Last edited:
Bob thanks for posting that work of art with the LC'er. The machining on that is beyond me, any chance of seeing it's pants?

Thanks Bob, I'm seen the dagger pictures but never saw leather for it, so had to ask. Your collection shows a lot of discretion and with all the artists you deal with it would have to be very special.

I was never big on sheaths for collectible knives unless the style of the knife (think Buster W dagger) demanded a highly embellished metal sheath of some kind. Typically, what I collected wasn't a good fit for leather. That's why the few leather sheaths I ever did own over time came from the Great Sage, Paul Long.

I know the dagger and FK is. LC is on a liner so it probably is. That leaves the Shiv and EDC.

Nathan might have made a set of scales for you in either. I can’t see a liner on either. Also on my phone can’t see detail enough to tell.

So which is it Bob?

They are very similar. The one that isn't Westinghouse is Accurate Acculam, which is the closest to the original I could find. My material supplier told me they bought their press from Westinghouse. It's made in Yonkers NY. Very good micarta, but nobody impregnated the canvas as thoroughly as Westinghouse. And that's the tell. You can tell when you mill it, you can tell when you buff it. And side by side you can see it. Which one of those has lighter canvas layers than the others...

Don't get me wrong, it's good micarta. We tend to romanticize Westinghouse because it was the best and you can't get it anymore, but good domestically produced micarta is very good stuff.

...but I'd buy Westinghouse if they still made it...

OK, the one that is NOT Westinghouse is, indeed, the Shiv. And the liners would have been the giveaway, but Justin, you couldn't see the EDC. That Shiv material is really a good color match when putting the set colors together.

And it's always great to get the real expert input from Nathan, thanks!

Back