Shootout. CZ Versus Ruger

The guns: 9x18 CZ 82 with a 4"? barrel polygon rifling and a .30M1 Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2"? Barrel. 24 rounds each at 25 yards. Edge given to the Blackhawk by shooting the 82 first when I ws cold.

82blkhwk.jpg

The Results:

The CZ82 kicked the Blackhawk's ass! ALL on the paper and better than half in the circle. Not bad for a little pocket pistol. 25 yards is really kind of far for this type of gun.

tgt.jpg

Favorite? The CZ 82 cause I can hit with it better. I think the Blackhawk looks much cooler.

Yeah, offhand.

HD. Agree the Blackhawk looks cooler. It's a single action, isn't it? Would that account for the difference in 'performance'? Having to reposition after cocking it each time? Understand, I know almost NOTHING about shooting.

I don't know. I got 500 rounds to put thru it so if I figure out a way to wring more accuracy out of it I hope to find it.

Hollow, I've never owned a BlkHk I couldn't put five rounds into two inches, and all of them with select loads would go under one.

It may be the optimum carbine powder, a small rifle round, is not the right powder for a handgun.

munk

Maybe, but I sense too much movement when I pull the trigger, but I just can't figure the grip I need to keep it from moving then.

Where are you holding the tightest on your blackhawks? What part of the finger are you putting on the trigger?

My CZ52 will not shoot right unless I hold high and tight on the grip but I seem unable to figure the best grip for the blackhawk.:thumbdn:

Is this from a rest? Don't put the barrel over anything- like a bag. Hold it with your wrists free. Elbows on table works for me.

Pick the gun up. How are you holding it? How does it seem to you? I can work all kinds of funky angles with a finger and the trigger if I have to, but in general, the pad of your index finger should be on the trigger comfortably. I'm not sure but think the hi score boys use the lower part of the pad.

Try dry firing a few times to see which way your barrel is pointing after the gun goes 'click', and where your finger is on the trigger.

munk

No, offhand. But using 2 hands. Even empty I can detect a slight waver upon pulling the trigger. Not sure if it's the heavy barrel or what. The trigger is much lighter than the CZ but it seems a bit more gritty or something.

Funny CZ story.

A few years back I picked up two cherry CZ-52's when they first hit the market in large amounts. At the time, Chinese 7.62x25mm was selling for next to nothing and was advertised as noncorrosive.

They were half right. It was inexpensive. The shooter of the pair now has a sewer pipe for a bore though.

I took it out to the range the other day and ran some Partizan through it. It kept them on the paper at 25 yards but the accuracy was not awe-inspiring. Several days later I took the other one out and ran some of the same ammo through it. It shot about the same. :)

This is one of the reasons that I don't like shooting groups off the bench at the range; I've had numerous weapons that shot just fine until I benched them and looked at the group sizes. The bench (and known distance ranges, and gun writers) have made many of my serviceable firearms suddenly very inaccurate.

Hollow, how many times have I said; "It's too bad we don't live next door to each other so..."? A lot.

You're using a two handed grip, right? Try relaxing. Dry fire and ask yourself what happened to move the barrel.

munk

Dave Rishar said:
Funny CZ story.

A few years back I picked up two cherry CZ-52's when they first hit the market in large amounts. At the time, Chinese 7.62x25mm was selling for next to nothing and was advertised as noncorrosive.

They were half right. It was inexpensive. The shooter of the pair now has a sewer pipe for a bore though.

I took it out to the range the other day and ran some Partizan through it. It kept them on the paper at 25 yards but the accuracy was not awe-inspiring. Several days later I took the other one out and ran some of the same ammo through it. It shot about the same. :)

This is one of the reasons that I don't like shooting groups off the bench at the range; I've had numerous weapons that shot just fine until I benched them and looked at the group sizes. The bench (and known distance ranges, and gun writers) have made many of my serviceable firearms suddenly very inaccurate.

I have 2.

An "unissued" which is hard to shoot cause of the trigger. Shoots low unless you REALLY concentrate.

I have a refurb that has the Harrington Pin in it. That one has a dark looking bore. It shoots great. It shoots so great I figured with a new barrel it would do even better. Shot crappy. I went back to the old worn barrel. Shot great.

Another problem I had with my CZ52 was some good shots and some flyers. I think part is the surplus ammo, but the other part is that the rollers had flat places on them. Replaced the rollers and that helped the accuracy too, as did the 18 lb spring.

Mine shoots great with the Polish Surplus and with the FNM ammo esp the hollow points. Not so good with the S and B, terrible with the Yugoslavian and not much better with the Romanian.

Never shot any of my pistols off of a rest. I figure shooting offhand is where I really should practice. But I probably should shoot the Ruger off some sandbags.

The CZ82 is a nice little gun. I picked one up from SOG International a while back.

Hollow, I make grips for my Rugers, and Cliff is right about them, but before I spent money on grips or springs I'd really examine what is happening when I pulled the trigger. Ruger single action triggers are pretty good. The more dry fire practise the smoother it will get.

I think it's a combination of the ammo and your hand grip that is giving you a problem. That's why I told you to just pick the gun up and see where it lay in your hand.

munk

munk said:
Hollow, I make grips for my Rugers, and Cliff is right about them, but before I spent money on grips or springs I'd really examine what is happening when I pulled the trigger. Ruger single action triggers are pretty good. The more dry fire practise the smoother it will get.

I think it's a combination of the ammo and your hand grip that is giving you a problem. That's why I told you to just pick the gun up and see where it lay in your hand.

munk

First thanks Cliff. Wonder what 20 paces is?? A pace for me (2 steps) is 5.3 feet.

One thing I found when I started shooting more was my estimation of range was rosy. 15 seemed more like 20. Finally I ended up actually measuring out 20 and 25 with a yardstick and putting fiberglass fence posts to mark them. I'd like to paint bricks white with 15, 20 and 25 painted on them and set them in the ground so I can mow over them. When I shoot the rifles I'm shooting at about 45 to 47 yards because my hollow is narrow there and 50 yards is in the creek. Even at 45 or 47 I'm standing in the road which is technically a no no but I live on a fairly untraveled dead end road.

Munk,

It definately has to do with the grip and pulling the trigger at the same time. I believe if the grips were a bit narrower(like an auto) it would help. So far the best stability is putting the most pressure on the middle of the grip. High grip and low grip accentuates the upset when pulling the trigger.

I've tried 4 difft' kinds of ammo in it and sadly so far this Wolfe seems to shoot the best.

SASSAS said:
The CZ82 is a nice little gun. I picked one up from SOG International a while back.

They really are. 12 round clip really comfortable grip, ambidextrous safety and really visible sights. The single action pull is heavy but very smooth

So the Wolf .30 Carbine isn't too bad? I'll run some through the Inland if any turns up around here to see if it likes it. It appears to be fairly picky about ammo. (PMC = :thumbup: , American Eagle = :barf: )

Back