Shop Tour Video and Update!

Hey dan what kind of mini mills are you using?
What model of grizzley and does it do want you want?
Do you still use the smaller blue one or was it too small to do what you needed?
Thanks man
Paul.
Edit to add
I didnt ask in St cause i dont want to hear that i need a 4000 mill lol.
I basically want a mill for precision drilling, framelocks and slips, the largest things i would want to do are fittings fullers and the occasional glock slide lol

Hey dan what kind of mini mills are you using?
What model of grizzley and does it do want you want?
Do you still use the smaller blue one or was it too small to do what you needed?
Thanks man
Paul.
Edit to add
I didnt ask in St cause i dont want to hear that i need a 4000 mill lol.
I basically want a mill for precision drilling, framelocks and slips, the largest things i would want to do are fittings fullers and the occasional glock slide lol

The smaller one is an older LMS mill. The larger green one is a Grizzly G0759. Both mills are pretty close in what they can do but the Grizzly is a much better design for a whole bunch of reasons and also came in specs unlike the LMS. You have to be easy on either one but for manual milling they will do just about anything you need for hand made knives.

I make my framelocks, mill fullers and all that stuff on these so they are plenty capable with the Grizzly being a lot easier to use. One really nice upgrade was a R8 collet Shars chuck which I find extremely accurate for folder making.

$2000 mill and easily $2000 in tooling at any time.

D, what's up brother! Shop is looking good.

Thanks Kevin! Good to see you here!!!

Awsome thanks Dan!

Also check out Grizzly's site, they have a smaller version of the mill I have. No 3 axis DRO (which you probably don't need, I almost never use mine) but it does have a quill DRO which I find necessary for counterboring bearing races and the like. It is the same size as my LMS and should be pretty rigid. the price is a lot better and it does not need a dedicated stand as it is a bit lighter. get only the tooling you need and you are off at a reasonably low cost. http://www.grizzly.com/milling-machines G0758 is the model... lol I want one! Just looking and it even has spindle speed dro which is awesome for feed/speed calculations.

Also check out Grizzly's site, they have a smaller version of the mill I have. No 3 axis DRO (which you probably don't need, I almost never use mine) but it does have a quill DRO which I find necessary for counterboring bearing races and the like. It is the same size as my LMS and should be pretty rigid. the price is a lot better and it does not need a dedicated stand as it is a bit lighter. get only the tooling you need and you are off at a reasonably low cost. http://www.grizzly.com/milling-machines G0758 is the model... lol I want one! Just looking and it even has spindle speed dro which is awesome for feed/speed calculations.

Yep been watching vids and researching.
Looking at the grizzlies you mentioned. And i found Precision matthews versions which i guess are a few hundo more but i dont know enough yet to decide.

I actually wouldnt.mind having the dro even though it ups the price .
Correct me if im wrong, total mill noob. But the dro is basically a readout of depths and length of cuts right.
So you can precisely match peices and feed speeds.
I was trying to hover at the 2000 without tooling
Also is it worth it to have the dro installed by the company or just add it later

Anyway framelocks are miles away but still i know i can use the mill for my other habbits lol

I just saw this! Sorry for the delay!

The DRO (big one on it's own screen) shows X, Y and Z axis measurements. (back forth and side to side, up and down) The Z axis is measured from the column. You can zero them out to find a reference or know how far you have cut.

There is a second quill DRO on mine that some of the Grizzly's have as a standard feature... this shows how far your drill feature is moving and I find it very useful. (how deep is a counterbore or fuller) The Z reading on the column dro is completely useless to me especially because you can't really cut by moving the head on the column, that will skew the cut just a hair. (lol I tried forever this way as my LMS mill works that way and screwed up a lot of stuff)

I'd get the DRO factory installed for sure.

I probably spend equal time between my mill, regular KMG and horizontal KMG.

Back