Short model 1's

eveled

Gold Member
Does anybody have any experience with a model 1 with a 5 or 6 inch blade? I've never seen one. They must be rare as hens teeth. I've always liked fixed blade knives with long blades. My dad always prefered 5to6 inch blades. As I get older I am realizing he was right. Still I can't see somebody ordering a 5 inch model 1.

I've had a few 1-6 knives. I use and carry knives a lot. Anything too long or heavy and it can be really detrimental in the mobility department.

I'm 6' 2 anyone short might have real issues toting around a 7-8 inch knife.

Like the catalog says order blade length and choose the model for your intended purpose.

I have a #1-6 from the late 1960's that I kept. Seems to be just about the right length for me.

The reason I asked, is I have a 7" and an 8" model 1 coming. Wasn't sure which one I'd like more, so i took both. The more I thought about it, the more I thought about maybe 6" being perfect.

Nobody has experience with a 5" model 1?

Thanks Ed.

I had a 5" model 5. It was a great grind and all but I could tell it was too small for me so I sold it. Kinda wish I still had it, would be more of a carver/light duty knife.

To be honest I could see having a 5-7 maybe a 5-8 some days. I still think the 5-6 is a great size.

The longer the blade the larger the wood/material you can take on. A longer blade like a 5-8 is a pretty heavy duty knife. The sportsman Bowie was designed for the guy that needed a heavier duty knife than the 5-8 per an old Randall catalog.

Bo claimed the 5-6 was the best compromise length and it could cut down a small tree if needed. This was in regard to the knife for Bradford Angier.

I still haven't seen a 5inch model 1, but I found a picture of a 4inch model 1! It belongs to Mitchell Harrison. New+Web+Shots-784-1250x832.jpg

Nice collection. I've been exploring your site for a hour or so. Thanks for sharing them. Ed

Back