1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

short shortsword

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Ultra, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    The punishment for this transgression is death by smatcheting squad at dawn. Any final words Mr. Chutethemall?

2. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    this, because i find the need to use it a lot.

[​IMG]

The Zieg and naturalist like this.
  3. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Can you use a smatchet to kill a zombie thread?

4. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Not even a smatchet can kill a smatchet. There are many like this but this thread is smachet.

The Zieg likes this.
  5. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm debating a repro smatchet vs a repro 1944 Enfield bolo/machete bayonet to go with my No1 MkIII*. The bayonet looks smatchety enough and a smatchet that fits on a long battle rifle is like putting Chuck Norris on the end of a Tomahawk missile.

[​IMG]

Zieg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    WValtakis, rpn and Mecha like this.
  6. GWashington1732

Jun 20, 2009
    It's not a smatchet unless it's a smatchet.

Mecha and The Zieg like this.
  7. betover

betover Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Just realized this Smatchet thread has been going on for about 542 days! Gave Ultra (OP) a like because by this time he must have perfected his Smatchet skills to perfection and I want to be on his good side.

The Zieg likes this.
  8. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Who fires the blank Smatchet at him?

9. GWashington1732

Jun 20, 2009
    Smatchet

10. horseclover

Nov 21, 2000

What a ripoff. Or maybe the uploader just has a really deep voice.

I think we might reconsider pronunciation if one is going to sashay with a smachet.

Mecha likes this.
  11. Cyo

Cyo Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    First rule of smatchet thread...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Allan DeGroot likes this.
  12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall

Jun 23, 2000
    ""It's better to have a smatchet and not need one that it is to need a smatchet and not have one."- - Mark Twain

13. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    Perhaps the loonies at Zombie Tools can help you out?
    as all their blades are in essence made to order...

https://www.zombietools.net/

Dammit this thread made buy not only a Smatchet, but also a Cold Steel Gladius another $75... you guys are EVIL!
    this concludes my thread Necromancy for today!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  14. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Well, despite Allan’s incorrect characterization of the ZT folks as “loonies”, his suggestion is a good one as far as quality. I certainly can heartily vouch for their blades.

I wish they would make a smatchet.....

Allan DeGroot likes this.
  15. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    How short are the short swords?

16. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Zombie tools?

About 17-19 inch blades for their legionnaire and sharkalope. Their parabellum has a 12 inch blade, and they have some shorter knives.

17. shoegazer

shoegazer Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2015
    Giedymin goodness, 16-17" blades. Around 40oz each.
    IMG_20190622_192240469.jpg

Knife devotee likes this.
  18. Romeo Sellspear

Romeo Sellspear

Jul 1, 2019
    You might try seeing if you can find a scaled down Greek xiphos. They have a leaf shaped blade like your looking for but they are commonly around 24 inches.

Knife devotee likes this.
  19. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Apparently this thread needs more smatcheting...

20. horseclover

Nov 21, 2000
    I'll have to admit to not having a smatchet but I am thinking about one of the WWI Welsh artillery knife/sword reproductions. For $100, maybe a better pizza slicer.
    https://collections.royalarmouries.org/first-world-war/type/rac-narrative-134.html
    In the meantime I have been accumulating shorter stuff the past few years. This one just came in from France. Nothing special but late 18th century with what looks like a dendritic crucible steel blade. Very lively!
    Ebony and steel with a flat grind and sharp clipped point.

hb.jpg

Mecha and WValtakis like this.