short shortsword

Well, despite Allan’s incorrect characterization of the ZT folks as “loonies”, his suggestion is a good one as far as quality. I certainly can heartily vouch for their blades.

I wish they would make a smatchet.....

So do I(wish they would make a Smatchet):)

BTW, I think they would wear the title of "Loonie" as a "badge of honor"
(Like I wear a "deplorable" T-shirt with my MAGA hat)

They are "Blade Loonies", the best kind of "loonie".

I've been looking longingly at their website/catalog for years, I just cannot afford what I want,
but I also want a Ferrari (that I also cannot afford), yet I still look!

Last edited:
I'll have to admit to not having a smatchet but I am thinking about one of the WWI Welsh artillery knife/sword reproductions. For $100, maybe a better pizza slicer.
https://collections.royalarmouries.org/first-world-war/type/rac-narrative-134.html
In the meantime I have been accumulating shorter stuff the past few years. This one just came in from France. Nothing special but late 18th century with what looks like a dendritic crucible steel blade. Very lively!
Ebony and steel with a flat grind and sharp clipped point.

View attachment 1159681

That's nice!

That's nice!

I missed a couple of blades on my list by waiting too long. This one had been listed for several years, probably because of the coarse texture look of the blade. Doing a bit of scrubbing, it is indeed a coarse bulat like blade steel, much like my old yataghan of roughly the same period. Very possibly from the eastern European area.

Cheers
GC

I missed a couple of blades on my list by waiting too long. This one had been listed for several years, probably because of the coarse texture look of the blade. Doing a bit of scrubbing, it is indeed a coarse bulat like blade steel, much like my old yataghan of roughly the same period. Very possibly from the eastern European area.

Cheers
GC

Interesting. It's an elegant little sword/knife. I have a knife blade made form bulat, and the texture is pretty unmistakable.

Aq76Fi4.jpg

I really like this one! Where did you obtain this blade. More details please!

The sword came from a French dealer but such hunting swords are found web wide. This was an economical example but some are more expensive. Earlier swords in premium condition go for premium money.

Cheers
GC

Back