Short sword for battling zombies

I have a couple....the first one is my modified CS Katana Machete.....the rest are variations on themes....

sany0040s.jpg

Nice work on that! They should be making one that looks like that already. The 2HKM kind of sucks as it comes stock, for either machete OR sword uses.

Here are a few of the short swords in my collection. The one in the middle would be my choice in a "Zombie" situation. It is light, quick and scary sharp for an old blade. But I think any of the top four blades would do the job today just like they did in the past. The bottom blade is a double edge sticker that was made considerably later than the others and never has been sharp.

384630434.jpg

Although not quite a short sword I would like to suggest the natchez bowie..It is one of the highest quality,well-balanced and lethal large blades I have ever seen. I have the san mai 3 version but for your use and price range the sk5 version would be perfect.

Don't you mean, "one swing and there are no targets remaining within your necessary swing radius?"

:p

Naginata and Quan Dao are powerful weapons, and if you think it's so easy to get inside the swing radius of someone who knows how to use one, you should try fighting someone who is even somewhat good with them some time... There's a reason that a good staff wielder will generally beat a sword wielder of comparable skill.

It's the same reason that once japanese warfare came down off their horses, the Naginata was taken up by Samurai women as THE home defense weapon.

Don't you mean, "one swing and there are no targets remaining within your necessary swing radius?"

:p

Naginata and Quan Dao are powerful weapons, and if you think it's so easy to get inside the swing radius of someone who knows how to use one, you should try fighting someone who is even somewhat good with them some time... There's a reason that a good staff wielder will generally beat a sword wielder of comparable skill.

I'm thinking more zombie scenario. I am not even conversant in Naginata technique, much less an expert, but i'm somewhat proficient with a Bo, and if they are similar, mobility is important.

When you're surrounded with 20+ zombies, your ability to move back and open up space is HIGHLY limited. I would thing that shorter blades would be preferable where mobility is highly restricted.

I wouldn't want to try using a Bo in a crowd.

They're similar. The difference is that a bo is a blunt force instrument. A naginata or pudao can actually cut through a target that would stop a staff (unless you're going for legs, for instance, in which case the staff will do fine). If you're fighting soft, rotting, zombie flesh, I'd imagine it would be even more of a potent weapon. And even a bo can be used close-in, within limits. As long as you're not in a hallway, I'd say a staff should do just fine. Staff was the first weapon I learned, and in my estimation, it's one of the very BEST weapons for being in a crowd. VERY hard for a crowd to close with you, and even if they do, you have all kinds of options. I can't speak as to how good a western-style does at close-in combat, but there are a number of eastern-style techniques that work just fine for close combat.

Thanks! It balances about halfway between the touchmark and the start of the upper edge. On the choppy side of things.

Back