Short sword for battling zombies

Here ye be:

And yes I know the date stamp on the pic is wrong.

After seeing the new addition, do you really think anyone is going to argue with you about a wrong date in a photo? :eek:

Great blade, looking forward to see and read how it performs on 'mere' timber and the like! :thumbup:

After seeing the new addition, do you really think anyone is going to argue with you about a wrong date in a photo? :eek:

Great blade, looking forward to see and read how it performs on 'mere' timber and the like! :thumbup:

I'm going to hold off on the full review until I can put my leather tassel on the hilt and make a scabbard for it. I've gone over different scabbard ideas in my head and I've decided on a simple design with no snaps or the like. Once I have a good scabbard then I'll see just how sharp I can get it.

Thanks for the info ... patiently waiting for it, sure it will be informative! :thumbup:

^ Is that 22" overall or just the blade? Very cool either way — I really like the copper collar on the handle.

just the blade is 22 inches. The maker, a member here on BF, said the length could vary from around 20 inches to 25 or so, depending on how the Damascus steel worked when he hammered it out.
The fittings are from the same Damascus steel as the blade, and have the same ladder pattern.
By the summer, I should have a companion 10 or 11 inch knife, of the same steel, and made in the same pattern. Sheath for the Langsax is traditional wood, as will be the sheath for the knife.

This is one I did a while back for a Knife in the Hat exchange on another forum. The idea behind this one was that you were caught in a junkyard when the zombies attack. Your vehicle is outside the gate, and you only have enough water for a day. Using the resources available, you have to make a blade that will get you through the undead horde to your vehicle. I made the wakizashi and saya in a day's time using what would be available for me at my local junkyard, Ashley Salvage in San Antonio, Texas.

zombiekiller009.jpg

zombiekiller007.jpg

More data here, including links to some videos of it:

http://helmforge.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

And a lengthy short story I ended up writing involving the hypothetical circumstances of the wakizashi's creation:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69286

This King Cane sword made by Silver Stag was made for killing wild hogs. I think it would slay a few zombies too.

sword1a.jpg

It's not 1095 or double edged but a HI Tibetan sword is hand forged, differentially hardened out of 5160 spring steel and tough as hell.Well under 300.00.I have the Short Tibetan sword and have no doubt any Obamy Zombies needing relief would be quick work.

cwvDm9asA3Lw9at2Ybl5etGTCQ

This is mine as well.Himalayan Imports.Quite a bit lighter and very handy.I actually got both for under 300.00 by watching for the DOD.
Very functional.

cwvDm9asA3Lw9bM2Abl5es27jQ

I really like the Japanese looking blade! What web sites do you think would have the best prices usually?

I really like the Japanese looking blade! What web sites do you think would have the best prices usually?

So far as I know Himalayan Imports pieces are only available through Himalayan Imports...

It'll be a while yet before this project bears fruit, but I think it'll be worth the wait. ;)

I actually pulled the trigger on a John Gage Tactical Gladius and couldnt be happier. It was wayyy more than I wanted to spend, but it was exactly what I was looking for.

It should be in my hands in about a month.

I'll post some pics for everyone when I get it.

What happened to pics? Too busy practicing for the zombie horde?

Whenever I get the darn things done you'll be the first to know! PM sent. :D

Yes. Not so much a true gladius, but patterned after a sword that was used in a similar manner. It's patterned after the Swiss baselard. I'm working on these, but it's a matter of time and money. They WILL happen though! :D

Here ye be:

117.jpg

Close to the same dimensions as the last one except the blade is a wee bit narrower as is the circumference of the hilt. Mr. Palmer seems to be using slightly thicker steel too. Very graceful and refined. Very agile and quick. The khopesh is a primitive sword from ancient times but there's really nothing "primitive" about it. These were well designed and deadly weapons in use for about 3,000 years and the khopesh finally became extinct by about 1000 BC give or take (from what I've read they're still arguing about that) a few centuries.

Overall length: 22.5" / 57.2cm
Blade length: 16.25" / 41.3cm

Haven't got my hilt decorated yet. I have a piece of deerskin thong I'm going to use but I'm going to brown it up in some coffee grounds first.

And yes I know the date stamp on the pic is wrong.

That is one badass blade!:thumbup::eek:

Back