1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SHOT Show 2019--New Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ASBOB, Jan 22, 2019.

1. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    How does that change anything? And I don't care one way or the other about people who make their own decisions, that is completely up to them, I was just asking if there was any proof that MOST of the users here don't like Strider. I'm not the one that threw out an opinion as fact in a thread about what knives were released at SHOT.

2. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Ah, yes, you're just the one that threw out an opinion as fact about what percentage of folks disliked Mick Strider. ;)

Something about motes in your brother's eye and logs in your own or some such deal.

3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Gas station knives are junk. But the person making that junk says "well I sell out every time we make them" does that mean they are great? That kind of reasoning is what you used. That's what zt says about there knives even though they make ugly designs and lock bar failures etc. But it's okay because they sell. It's okay that strider is stolen Valor because they sell out. Hmmm... No

4. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    Actually my reasoning was that for a knife company that MOST people hate they sure seem to sell a lot of knives.. If it doesn't work for you that's fine but extending that hate to MOST people here doesn't make sense. Unless you have some kind of proof. Which you haven't shown as of yet.

Last post for me and then you guys can fight over the meaning of facts vs opinions, Strider released a new folder at SHOT. Buy it or not, hate the man or not, but acting like you speak for MOST of a HUGE forum about the subject is wrong unless you can back it up. Which you have not done so far.

Have a good day

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hi-all-looking-for-strider-info.1635779/#post-18697670
    Recently discussed thread among many others about the topic. Support stolen Valor all you want because that's how he built his empire of fans.

Yo Mama likes this.
  6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I don't think he was arguing about the ethics of the company/owner, but rather the popularity they seem to enjoy despite their known issues.

OilMan likes this.
  7. Durham68

Durham68 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know of a good source for knife pics from shot show? I'm only seeing a few here and there.

8. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    As the OP, please stick to a discussion of the new knives at SHOT.

9. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Hawk Knives Gearhead.

10. POCEH KOCEB

POCEH KOCEB Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I'll be definitely getting one of those... :D
    There is plenty of room on the back to grind a little "wave" notch.

Lapedog and Quiet like this.
  11. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    Ok back on track

No idea if they are at SHOT, but has anyone else seen the pics of the new Case Shark Tooth? CaseSharktooth.jpg

12. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Very nice. Any word on dimensions? On what kind of lock?

13. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Where do I get one of those Case knives?

14. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    No idea on lock or dimensions. All I've found out so far is flipper and S35 steel.

15. azjeff

azjeff

Dec 16, 2018
    Just saw on another website the Case is made by Southern Grind and will be available in March.

Mo2 likes this.
  16. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    I just finally had time to check out the SHOT show videos...unfortunately nothing catches my eye. Darn.

Lapedog likes this.
  17. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    New Leatherman stuff looks pretty cool. I started a thread about it in multi tools. Im definitely interested in their new stuff.

vanadium likes this.
  18. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    The only thing that stands out to me is the ad10 and ad15 from cold steel. Everything else looks like a rehash of old ideas or shitty new ideas

Lapedog likes this.
  19. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Made by mantis... Worst possible choice

POCEH KOCEB likes this.
  20. vanadium

vanadium Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2003
    For those who find this SHOT Show boring (and by extension, the current direction of the industry) what would you like to see?

I find myself "judging a book by its cover" on most new knife releases, because not much substantive change is coming with new models.

Where could things be headed long-term that would actually reflect progress?

Speaking for myself, I'd like to see:
    • Spyderco showing progress on making their US factory's quality on par with Taichung's.
    • ZT having a semblance of brand heritage and returning to a focus on practicality instead of nonfunctional gimmicks.
    • Factory makers solving the two-stage 'tick-tock' detent ball thing on framelocks and linerlocks, like Koenig already has.
    • US companies throwing some extra screws in the box. If China can do it, the US can do it. WTF.