Shotgun restoration

954Ink

Gold Member
Ahoy BF family. I recently got a lot of old guns. Several need tlc and restoration. One is ridiculous as it was left in a metal safe outside for 20 years. It's a Westernfield model 40n. I was able to remove the stock and get it to rack. The rust is insane. I did dive on Google and found lots of various techniques. I was hoping one of the many experienced members here could give me some tried and true advice. Thanks everyone for their input.

I’d like to see pics of what you are working with and also what’s your end goal? How much time and money do you want to put into this project?

Use a flattened rifle spent cartridge as a scraper to knock off the rust. It won’t harm the guns finish. Sometimes a big rust spot is actually growing on top of the blued finish.

after you scrape it with the brass cartridge, blow it out/off with a compressor. Then oil it and rub it with a rag.

Good luck. I inherited a similar collection of water damaged guns. I got them all to work.

Use a flattened rifle spent cartridge as a scraper to knock off the rust. It won’t harm the guns finish. Sometimes a big rust spot is actually growing on top of the blued finish.
after you scrape it with the brass cartridge

For lesser rust you can do a similar thing with bronze wool and lots of oil. Careful rubbing with oil and bronze wool will take off the rust without damaging the finish. You can buy bronze wool in a good hardware store.

I have a cousin to your shotgun. Eldest son used it to shoot some doves this morning. An old classic for sure.

I hope you manage to get it back to safe working order.
7A4264FB-5524-487E-A2A9-FFD25016F895.jpeg 0E093473-B6E2-40E9-AC74-60FECED03746.jpeg 69A028C5-DDCA-4298-94F2-4C771FA760C0.jpeg

Thanks for everyone for their input. Sorry for the delay in response this week at work has been a nightmare.

3fifty7 3fifty7 . Ill try upload some pictures. I'm willing to invest some time and a pinch of money. The shotgun doesn't have a lot of value but depending on how stubbornly deep into I get will determine my financial involvement.

Back